Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Wrenchin'

Mein Auto: E46 M3
raced a bike

I was on my way up to LA for the weekend. Cruising @100, I pulled upto a bike. He pulled ahead a bit then let off the gas a few times. So I got right next to him and as soon as I heard the bike gas it, my foot hit the floor. I look down at the cluster and its past 120 and the bike is in my rear view. He never passed me. We slowed down and went at it again. This time I hit 130 and again he couldn't catch up. He was a good few car lengths behind. Then we hit traffic and he looked at me and before I could give him the he was gone. I'm not much of a bike person so I have no idea what kind of sports bike it was but I've got respect for the bikers. It takes balls to go out there on a bike at those high speeds.

and I'm still in TRAFFIC! the biker is probably already home enjoying a beer. I guess he won in the long run.

Last edited by ketchup; 02-17-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 E39 VFE DINAN5/04 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup
I was on my way up to LA for the weekend. Cruising @100, I pulled upto a bike. He pulled ahead a bit then let off the gas a few times. So I got right next to him and as soon as I heard the bike gas it, my foot hit the floor. I look down at the cluster and its past 120 and the bike is in my rear view. He never passed me. We slowed down and went at it again. This time I hit 130 and again he couldn't catch up. He was a good few car lengths behind. Then we hit traffic and he looked at me and before I could give him the he was gone. I'm not much of a bike person so I have no idea what kind of sports bike it was but I've got respect for the bikers. It takes balls to go out there on a bike at those high speeds.

and I'm still in TRAFFIC! the biker is probably already home enjoying a beer. I guess he won in the long run.
Dang, i really missed the ability to do lane sharing/splitting allowed in Cali... Only way to weave through traffic...

Damn you, 49 States!!!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:09 PM
World Traveller Forever

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 325ic M Technic
Hmm.,

That may have been a 550 or a 650.
A bike with a higher displacement(say between 900 and 1300 cc's) may have you beat even at those speeds, but hell, i'd hate to eat it on a bike at those speeds. At least with a car you have a frame of steel around you if you should have a mishap. Any crash at those speeds in any vehicle is devastating.

"Swimming with the sharks" All over this World...I'll see you in the next one.,,yeahhhh.... AND DON"T BE LATE,,,, DON"T BE LAAATTEE!
Old 02-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Wrenchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ic a beer
Any crash at those speeds in any vehicle is devastating.
I know but I'm sure I felt a hell of alot safer than he did
btw dude..are you going to the south coast plaza meet?

It sure was no ducatti. He initiated the whole thing, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with a bike. I just wanted to see how the 540 would do and I was damn surprised at the gap between us. It was a fun run, I just wish he wasn't in such a hurry to speed off so I could give'em the thumbs up. Well since I didn't get a chance.....
Old 02-17-2006, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 330Cic
Bikes are fast in a straigt but suck in the curves
Old 02-17-2006, 09:18 PM
World Traveller Forever

Quote:
btw dude..are you going to the south coast plaza meet?
Where and when is it? I have not heard of this as of yet.

"Swimming with the sharks" All over this World...I'll see you in the next one.,,yeahhhh.... AND DON"T BE LATE,,,, DON"T BE LAAATTEE!
Old 02-17-2006, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboot

Oooooo.....I don't know about all that now. I can take a curve extremely fast on my Ducati (provided I am currently feeling stupid enough to risk it and even do it on the street). Drop off that seat and lean it way over and it will turn a corner fast..........crazy fast...............Much safer on the track though.
M-Par wheels
Old 02-17-2006, 09:58 PM
World Traveller Forever

Ooooh boy..

Quote:
I don't think so..................
Any Track racer worth their metal, will school you on the turns.
Word.
They got you with their physics and power to weight ratio.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to boostd4
Mein Auto: 1998 540i6
Are you sure it wasn't a bicycle?

I wouldn't doubt you pulled on a cruiser - they're mostly low 14's and have nothing up top, but any modern sportbike would eat our 540's for lunch, then take a nap, then have a mid afternoon snack, then eat us again for dinner, before we even sat down at the lunch table.

Even 600's do 10 second quartermiles stock, and have been doing so for a decade.

The only production car that ever hung with my '01 Honda CBR 600 F4i was a Porsche 996 Turbo.. and it was slightly modified. We stayed neck and neck up to 140mph where I left off. And that's the smallest sportbike Honda made at the time. Had I been on a 1000RR it wouldn't even have been close.

Gonna have to call on this one .. but I suppose he could have just been pacing you
Old 02-17-2006, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: 03 E39 VFE DINAN5/04 M3
Quote:
Say what??? Bikes suck in twisties???

All on the driver... put competent rider on a bike that individual can smoke similar driver in same road...
Old 02-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Wrenchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd4
Gonna have to call on this one .. but I suppose he could have just been pacing you
why would he initiate the run and not pass? I did think about him just pacing me but still, why not pass? the highway was clear in all lanes for him to pass. btw this was no 0-60 run, we started from 100mph.

beeeer you've got a PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: Falcor
I could actually believe this from a rolling start at 100 mph - especially depending on what kind of bike it was. Drag at those speeds on a motorcycle is the enemy - even fairings and such, motorcycles are not nearly as slippery at those speeds than a car.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: Prius 5
Raced for 7 years on bikes

I'm waving the flag too. I raced crotch rockets for about 7 years; Willow Springs, PIR, Sears Point. (Mostly Willow). A newer crotch rocket will hold it's own with almost any street car in the twisties, but will destroy it in the straights. I say street cars because a full-on race car (F1) will smoke a GP bike. Try going up Palomar Mountain and keep up with a crotch rocket.

Anyway, the slowest 600 crotch rocket will still do approx 150+ mph, and get there damn quick. Of course, you did say you don't know alot about bikes, so maybe it was a Harley?

Its simple mathematics, a car weighing 4000 lbs w/ 300HP cannot keep up in a straightaway with a bike weighing 375lbs w/ 125 - 175hp. I think previous posters were correct; he either was on a very weak bike, or he was just pacing you.

cjwheeling
Old 02-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: Prius 5
You're smoking crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by supark
I could actually believe this from a rolling start at 100 mph - especially depending on what kind of bike it was. Drag at those speeds on a motorcycle is the enemy - even fairings and such, motorcycles are not nearly as slippery at those speeds than a car.
The faster bone stock crotch rockets can make it to 100mph in less than 7 seconds, and can break into the high 9s in the 1/4. The Suzuki Hayabusa has been averaged in a two way radar session at 202MPH. Look, for comfort and class, the Bimmer is the right ride; however if you want to beat the peformance of a modern crotch rocket you'll be spending at least $200K
Old 02-18-2006, 12:28 AM
aka Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to AsianImage
Mein Auto: Excellence
Yeah I have to say Ketchup good buddy...the bike was just messin with you.

It had to be a really small bike in liters or the rider did not want to race. To mirror what everyone said above...I used to ride. Did a few track days...and such but by no means an expert of any kind. I was too chicken...anyways...I had a 01 CBR929RR. Bolt on exhaust...was the only engine mod...the rest was looks.

I Know for a fact...cruising at 100...and if you floored and I twisted my wrist a little...and dumped a gear...you would seen only big butt in front of you. As a big time chicken careful rider...I know for sure...my bike would of left you standing still even at 100mph.

So the bike was just messin with you...fo sho.

hey GIXXER and CJWHEELING...ever ride the track near vegas in PAHRUMP? Here is my slow butt on the last turn before the back straight over the bridge thingy...abnout 2 years ago! Seems so long man...

and here is my baby...in all her glory. I kinda wish I did not have to sell her....

and course the weak a$$ wheelie attempt....

IMG_4675

Last edited by AsianImage; 02-18-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:23 AM
Fastest 528iA in the EU;)

Mein Auto: E39 528iA
When i was still AMG driver it was common that i was racing with bikes. With 528 i don't
even think about it, because even a poor chopper is probably able to run around me in circles. Of course i couldn't keep up with strongest 1200's if it comes to 0-60 acceleration
but i've noticed that even very fast motorbikes lost acceleration after they pass 100-120mph and i've rarely seen them exceeding 200km/h. Mine had the limiter removed so i could easily push it to 170mph (275km/h). There is really few motorbikes that
can go that fast. So even if they were quick off the line, i was taking them over minute later.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i 6-speed
There's a great segment on Top Gear pitting a Yamaha R1 against a Carrera 4.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 99 540I6
Not knocking your car, but~ there's no way in sam hell you could have beaten anything larger than a 500cc bike with a non-talented rider on it. Todays bikes are extremely capable, and the power to weight ratio isn't even in the same neighborhood.

I am deffinately not speaking "out of school" on this matter either. Bikes are my passion for some years now.

LRRS/CCS Expert#293
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RacePics 001 copy2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	68793   Click image for larger version

Name:	20040621a289m.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	68794  

Last edited by NCroadracer; 02-18-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 99 540I6
Quote:
Bwaahhaaa....I would beg to differ. Might be true with you riding a bike, but i'd challenge that statement on any track with any car. (F1 excluded)
Old 02-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Analyst + Therapist = ...

Mein Auto: people crazy
From my experience, I need more info.

How windy was it?
How experienced was the rider?
Was he a little crazy?

If it's windy and then add 100mph it's scary when you hit a gust.
If it's some kid on a bike he's not going to feel comfy at high speeds.
I was crazier than my friends and raced as a kid so I could beat better bikes.
Plus I firmly understand " If you're not breaking it, you're not racing it" I would blow out second gear every year.

As far as the curves, Bikes Rule! It's purely a power/weight issue.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Captain Slow

Send a message via AIM to Shabba Send a message via MSN to Shabba Send a message via Yahoo to Shabba
Mein Auto: 2006 325i Barrique
Quote:

At 100 MPH, you were racing either an ex500 (or 250) or the guy was playing with you OR he was too scared to really open it up. No disrespect and I believe your story entirely. I, much like other people here, have been riding most of my life and even an old FZR600 would smoke the 5 any which way you put it. Hell, an old school 600 like the FZR still had a top end of about 140-150.

Quote:
Good to see you are thinking before you speak. Bikes EAT curves, especially with someone who knows what's up. I wouldn't recommend more than 6/10ths on the road on a bike, but I grew up around Suches and Deal's Gap, and cars are passed regularly by bikers who possess only modest skills. There is NOTHING that comes close to the thrill of a curvy road coupled by a bike.
'91 Isuzu Stylus XS
'90 Saab 900T
'79 Datsun 280zx
'60 Jeep Willys CJ3B
Old 02-18-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwheeling
The faster bone stock crotch rockets can make it to 100mph in less than 7 seconds, and can break into the high 9s in the 1/4. The Suzuki Hayabusa has been averaged in a two way radar session at 202MPH. Look, for comfort and class, the Bimmer is the right ride; however if you want to beat the peformance of a modern crotch rocket you'll be spending at least $200K
Wow - did you even read the anything other than the title of this thread?

Plz read the original post and my response closer before you respond.

I said depending on the bike, I could believe it. Also - he didn't say that he went from 0-100, he said that he started the race at 100mph. I'm assuming because you're such a motorcycle veteran that you know how much drag there is on an unfaired motorcycle at speeds exceeding 100mph. For all we know he was racing a GS500. Again, Ketchup didn't state what bike he was racing.

He obviously was not racing a Hayabusa, nor a modern SS 600. But seriously - in the short time I've lurked around this forum, I've seen no indication that Ketchup just randomly posts BS stories about street kills - so I believe him. For all we know, the rider was just being smart on the street and didn't want to cruise around traffic in the triple digits - which I can respect, being a rider myself.

Last edited by supark; 02-18-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: X5 & 5
Thoughts about this thread...

Bike let you win... whether out of fear of a speeding ticket, lack of comfort at speed, or just kindness of his/her heart, bike let you win. Ketchup, this isn't a stab at you. I know you were not portraying this as a real battle of balls.

Also, any sportbike from the last decade is capable of out handling all but the sportiest of cars (and yours isn't one of them) on the road. However, in terms of ultimate handling performance - cars win. Take it to the track or skidpad and you just can't beat the laws of physics. 4 wheels, wide stance, larger contact patch, etc.

And the wind drag on the motorcycle comment... uh... yeah, right. You actually think there is a drag coefficient in favor of the BMW that is capable offsetting the power-to-weight advantage of the motorcycle. Survey says, "X". The credibility meter has just hit an all time low.

I love my BMWs as much as the next guy, but generally speaking, cars are not even in the same ballpark as motorcycles when it comes to performance.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Bike let you win... whether out of fear of a speeding ticket, lack of comfort at speed, or just kindness of his/her heart, bike let you win. Ketchup, this isn't a stab at you. I know you were not portraying this as a real battle of balls.

Also, any sportbike from the last decade is capable of out handling all but the sportiest of cars (and yours isn't one of them) on the road. However, in terms of ultimate handling performance - cars win. Take it to the track or skidpad and you just can't beat the laws of physics. 4 wheels, wide stance, larger contact patch, etc.

And the wind drag on the motorcycle comment... uh... yeah, right. You actually think there is a drag coefficient in favor of the BMW that is capable offsetting the power-to-weight advantage of the motorcycle. Survey says, "X". The credibility meter has just hit an all time low.

I love my BMWs as much as the next guy, but generally speaking, cars are not even in the same ballpark as motorcycles when it comes to performance.
Wow - you sure know a lot about motorcycles - real impressed. So you're saying an EX250 would beat a 540i in a roll-on race starting at 100mph? Because that's basically what you're claiming - and if it is, you're extremely wrong. Please reread my original responses. In fact I believe I can think of some bikes exceeding 500 and 600cc that would also not win (or if they did not dramatically) from a rolling start at 100mph.

Again - we're not talking about a standing start race, and in some cases the drag you'll experience on a bike vs a car at speeds in the triple digits can give a performance edge to the car - especially if the bike was unfaired. Of course a ZX12R or the like is gonna lay waste to most any non-exotic sports car - but we're all talking in what-ifs. So yes, there are instances where this could actually occur.

Why do people always assume the bike someone races was the newest GSXCBZXR-5000000? Hell, it could have been an Aprilia RS50 - a bike that would have most assuredly lost in this situation, but looks very fast indeed to most non-riders.

Last edited by supark; 02-18-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:04 PM
lower than stock evildoer

Send a message via ICQ to gerchy Send a message via MSN to gerchy
Mein Auto: E39 525i
The bike might be faster on the motorway but it doesn`t stand a chance when it comes to curves. Once I chased one and when we hit the curve the biker was slowing me down. I had to accelerate to 120 to overtake him and the poor guy was soon lost in my rear mirror. I just love the M suspension.