Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-21-2006, 06:39 AM
sims

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
bird crap & car wash(boston)

I have the most nasty bird crap(damn those crows! ) on my hood now and it didn't go away after a car wash(automatic car wash). It's been there for a couple days so I wonder whether it's going to be harder and harder to remove. Does anybody have any tips for removing such bird crap? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Does anybody know of a good car wash place in Boston and its surroundings?
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330XI
There are plenty around, but i took a ride to Rojos in Norwood on RT 1. Exit 15a/b off of 95/128. They have a self service bay, laser wash, and a regular wash. Pretty good gas prices as well, 2.19 for the good stuff!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:13 AM
sims

So they have touchless wash? Is it on Rt. 1 North or South bound? Is it next to a strip mall? I know that area fairly well since I used to live around there.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E88 135 6 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by sims
I have the most nasty bird crap(damn those crows! ) on my hood now and it didn't go away after a car wash(automatic car wash). It's been there for a couple days so I wonder whether it's going to be harder and harder to remove. Does anybody have any tips for removing such bird crap? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Does anybody know of a good car wash place in Boston and its surroundings?
do a search in the detail forum. This issue has been thoroughly discussed. It is much harder than you may think to remove bird crap, and if not done in a timely, proper fashion, it may cause permanent paint damage. A car wash will not work. Best of luck!

2008-2010: '08 335i E93//6 Speed//Monaco//Saddle Brown//Dark Burl//Sports//Cold//CA//Sat Radio//ED

2005-2008: '05 330 E46cic//6 Speed//Jet Black//Black//Sports//Nav//Cold
Old 02-21-2006, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 330XI
Sims... Its the Southbound side, (going towards Gillette Stadium), right after the Univeristy Ave. intersection (McDonalds, BurgerKing).

LMK when your down for a ride, I'll meet cha there!

And yes, with the bird poop, you may want to get rid of it ASAP with some love n care. I left some on my Black GT, and did not think anything of it. Couple of days later, after I removed the crunchy stuff, the paint was actually faded underneath...
Old 02-21-2006, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Try Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. It is SO easy to take off and it will protect your car better than any automatic car wash wax...
Old 02-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Former ZHP pilot

Mein Auto: 2011 135i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookjohnson
do a search in the detail forum. This issue has been thoroughly discussed. It is much harder than you may think to remove bird crap, and if not done in a timely, proper fashion, it may cause permanent paint damage. A car wash will not work. Best of luck!
Correct bird crap must be removed in less than 24hrs or forget it, the damage is already done. If it's too late your only option will be to take it to a professional detailer and see what he can do.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:09 PM
sims

Now I am getting really worried. It's been a few days already. I didn't know bird poop can cause permanent paint damage. Thanks all for the info. I did find a whole bunch of threads on the detail department forum. Some say that rubbing alcohol is more effective than anything else. Should I try that?

I am going to try some bug & tar remover and probably some of that cleaner wax many referenced. I also called up a shop I trust and they will take a look tomorrow if I can't get rid of it(probably not!! ).

Oh Blinky I know where it is now. I didn't know that one is touchless wash. I used to go to the car wash place by Walmart further down South on Rt. 1. I will let you know if I go there for a wash. The dealers always wash the car complimentarily when I drop by but I don't know how well they wash it and I need it more frequently.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
yeah gotta watch out for those little bastardos. their pee (yes thats right - pee) is liek acid on paint. fortunately, there are several products that will easily remove it without much fuss. just go to autozone or whatever your auto parts store is, get some solution and soft cloth and buff it out. they have stuff that will remove haze, tar, pitch, scratches, etc.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Former ZHP pilot

Mein Auto: 2011 135i M Sport
Try some of the 3M glazes it might come off or it will do an excellent job of concealing them.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTex
yeah gotta watch out for those little bastardos. their pee (yes thats right - pee) is liek acid on paint. fortunately, there are several products that will easily remove it without much fuss. just go to autozone or whatever your auto parts store is, get some solution and soft cloth and buff it out. they have stuff that will remove haze, tar, pitch, scratches, etc.
I do not recommend doing this or using those products. As I'm sure you can tell, numerous members of this site are as anal as can be and have thoroughly tried and studied this exact issue. From my reading, alcohol seems to be the trick. I would follow the advice of other members who have encountered this exact situation and dealt with it properly.

In the detail department you will come accross members who spend every single weekend detailing their car to immaculate perfection. These are the ones to trust, not some auto shop guy trying to take your money. Again, best of luck. This site hasan amazing wealth of knowledge from people who really care.

2008-2010: '08 335i E93//6 Speed//Monaco//Saddle Brown//Dark Burl//Sports//Cold//CA//Sat Radio//ED

Old 02-21-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I do not recommend doing this or using those products. As I'm sure you can tell, numerous members of this site are as anal as can be and have thoroughly tried and studied this exact issue. From my reading, alcohol seems to be the trick. I would follow the advice of other members who have encountered this exact situation and dealt with it properly.

In the detail department you will come accross members who spend every single weekend detailing their car to immaculate perfection. These are the ones to trust, not some auto shop guy trying to take your money. Again, best of luck. This site hasan amazing wealth of knowledge from people who really care.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=bird

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=bird

Try these

Old 02-21-2006, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: It's constantly changing.
Quote:

......and love our/their cars.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:16 PM
sims

I was going to do it tomorrow morning but I was kinda freaked out with the potential consequences so I did it tonight(just to save the 10 hour difference though it has been there for quite a few days already... ). I bought this Rainx bug & tar pre-wash gel(it says on the bottle it works for bird droppings too). I sprayed that generously over the bird crap and let it soak for 5 minutes. Then I washed with MeGuiar's Gold Class car wash. The crap was slowly wiped off till it was all gone. There doesn't seem to be any paint damage. But it is kinda dark on my driveway now so I will take another look tomorrow morning to see whether there's any marks anywhere on the paint finish. I also bought MeGuiar's cleaner wax to use if I need it tomorrow.

I will definitely keep an eye on bird droppings anytime now.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4
I got some bird crap on my hood last week and left it there for a few days thinking it would be ok. It wasn't the white stuff, but rather some innocuous looking yellow stuff. I wasnt concerned with it because it was very thin looking, almost like it wasn't even bird poop. Anytway,after I washed the car you can see exactly where the spot was. The clear coat is gone and is now etched

I keep this picture up as a tribute to the 330 ZHP. I now have a Z4

Old 02-21-2006, 08:31 PM
sims

Ummm....I got some really icky thick black stuff. It was like a big pile. I am telling ya the crow who dropped the load had some bad digestive problems. I yet have to take a better look tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed. Pleeeeeaaaase!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: E60 530d Sport Touring
My car was 'attacked' by a seagull with bad digestion whilst I was at work - 8 hours in the sun and I've now got a couple of dull patches in the paintwork even though I washed the car immediately I got home. I can disguise the patches with Zymol wax for a couple of weeks but then they start to show through again. It happened on my last car as well (an Imola Red 325Ci) - I guess birds don't like BMW's.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O
My car was 'attacked' by a seagull with bad digestion whilst I was at work - 8 hours in the sun and I've now got a couple of dull patches in the paintwork even though I washed the car immediately I got home. I can disguise the patches with Zymol wax for a couple of weeks but then they start to show through again. It happened on my last car as well (an Imola Red 325Ci) - I guess birds don't like BMW's.
You'd think that those of us who Zymol or put some layer of aftermarket wax/sealant on top of the clearcoat would at least slow down those bird droppings from chewing through.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 AM
sims

Think my car is all set. I can't even locate exactly where the bird crap was. The paint on the hood is as glossy as it should be there's no marks anywhere in the general area where the bird dropped the load. The only thing I could see are the few paint chips I got earlier from rocks and gravel.

Thanks all for help. I wonder whether the cold weather slowed down the chemical process. I noticed the few folks who've had worse experience all live in the south or the southwest where the residue had been baked under Sun for a while. Maybe for once I ought to thank Boston for the cold weather.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Quote:

Oh I absolutely care.. When I first got the car, I'd get out and clean it and detail it all the time. but when your bimmer is an everyday car like mine is, and its black, it tends to become a pain in the ass to keep clean all the time. Now, if i was single, had a garaged M3 that i took out every once in a while, that would be a different story. =) I'm pretty anal about certain products affecting my paint, too. alcohol, eh? I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited by Vornado; 02-22-2006 at 08:10 AM.