Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Smile Homelink with a Genie Intellicode 2 Garage Door Opener

Guys,

I struggled with this for hours, reading tons of forum posts before I got it to work. To make your Homelink unit work with a Genie Intellicode 2 GDO you have to do some interesting tricks. Basically to tell the car about your remote you have to put the remote into Intellicode 1 mode, then to get the GDO to accept the Homelink as a new remote you have to start the process with your original Intellicode 2 remote then complete it with the Homelink unit. This is not consistent with the directions or the majority of the forum posts I found, so I figured I would post it here. Here goes. This worked perfectly in my 2011 335d. Good luck!

Step 1: To ensure that your car's Homelink unit does not have any old codes in it, wipe it by pressing and holding the outer two buttons for about 30 seconds until the orange Homelink LED begins to flash.

Step 2: Make sure your Intellicode 2 remote (Mine is a Genie model G3T) is programmed to work with your opener (IE when you push the button the door opens or closes).

Step 3: Set one of the buttons on your remote to the legacy Intellicode 1 mode. If the button is in Intellicode 2 mode, when you push it the LED in the remote should light up green. It will light up red if it is in Intellicode 1 mode. To swap modes of a button, hold it down for approximately 10 seconds until both LEDs light up, then press the same button twice. Finally press it one more time to confirm the setting. Now when you push the button the LED should be red indicating the remote is in Intellicode 1 mode.

Step 4: Go to your car with your remote and program the Homelink button you want to use with the Intellicode 1 button you just made on your Genie remote. To do this depress the Homelink button you want to use and simultaneously (do not release the Homelink button until you are done) press and hold down, and if that does not work press and release a few times, the button on your Genie remote. When this is done the orange Homelink LED should start flashing rapidly. Now you can safely release the Homelink button.

Step 5: Take your Genie remote to the Garage Door Opener and begin the programming procedure. When you get to the step where the long purple LED is flashing and the round blue LED is off, press the ORIGINAL INTELLICODE 2 BUTTON (The one you normally use to open and close your garage door) once, and only once. Both LEDs on the garage door opener should now be flashing purple.

Step 6: Go to your car (quickly, this must all happen within 30 seconds of starting the procedure on the Genie powerhead) and press and release the desired programmed Homelink button 2 times (press the button for 2 seconds and then release two times). This should have programmed the unit. If you press the Homelink button again, your garage door should open/close.

If it doesn't work, I recommend starting the procedure over from the top.
Ads by Google
Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Note

One thing to note, when you set one of the buttons to the legacy Intellicode 1 it does not have to be, nor should it be, the button you use to to open/close your garage door. Use one of the other buttons, it will still work fine. When you are done setting up your car you can put that button back into Intellicode 2 mode if you need to use it for a 3rd garage door.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Old School n Proud

Mein Auto: 07 335i Cabrio
Thank you for this!!!!
Can't wait to get back home and do it.