Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Need help "translating" engine code - P209F

I took my 2009 335d to Autozone to get a free code reading. The code that came up was P209F. They couldn't find the code in their system, so I called the local dealership. They said that they don't use codes beginning with "P" and that I'd need to use a BMW-specific code reader (of course). I've exhausted my Google-fu abilities and I have yet to find a conclusive answer.

The standard P209F code is "Reductant Tank Heater Control Circuit Performance"

I have no idea what that means, but apparently a lot of diesel trucks run into the same problem, so maybe the code that Autozone read is correct?

Do any of you folks have experience with this code or know of a resource for "translating" generic OBD codes to BMW-specific codes? If all else fails I'll take it into the stealership this weekened, but I'd rather not have to spend money for them to say "yeah it's no big deal."

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335d
Hey, unfortunately my car, same as yours, is throwing the same code and I havent been able to find any information online. Did you find out what the code was? I am hoping to not have to take it to the stealer ship as well.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
it was a while ago so Im a little hazy on the details, but essentially there was an issue with some sensor in the DEF tank. Because it's built into the tank itself the whole tank needed to be replaced. The tanks run for about $1,300 and the labor would have made the whole thing about two grand. Thankfully I found some vague message on an obscure message board somewhere saying that there was a recall for the DEF tanks a few years ago. I took it to the loca dealership and got the whole thing done for free! They even washed the outside of my car and vacuumed the interior
Old 03-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Stop.

It is an issue with the DEF tank- either wiring or the tank.

DO YOU RESEARCH.

There are a few threads by member PIXLFIX where he makes a jumper to bypass a faulty test algorithm. Search for these and read them. One: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...126&highlight=

It may not be the same thing, but we are starting to see real work arounds for some of these overly complex and faulted systems BMW has put into the diesels.