Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 AM
jayf jayf is offline
Registered User
Location: new jersey
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2002 m3c
Oil drain plug stripped

I let a 10 minute oil change guy do my oil change. I supplied him the 10-60 oil and oem filter. Now I went to the dealer and they said the guy stripped the thread and put in a larger plug to cover up the problem. The dealer said that it is only holding on by two threads and I should get a new oil pan for $1500. I said, how about helicoil and the dealer said that was not recommended. Any thoughts from people who are not out there to take $1500 from me?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-23-2006, 11:54 AM
bimmerZ5 bimmerZ5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, California
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 204
Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Rdstr, E39 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayf
I let a 10 minute oil change guy do my oil change. I supplied him the 10-60 oil and oem filter. Now I went to the dealer and they said the guy stripped the thread and put in a larger plug to cover up the problem. The dealer said that it is only holding on by two threads and I should get a new oil pan for $1500. I said, how about helicoil and the dealer said that was not recommended. Any thoughts from people who are not out there to take $1500 from me?
if you have a friend that can weld, just weld the old hole shut, weld a base for a new hole and tap new threads in.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Dennis33's Avatar
Dennis33 Dennis33 is offline
BMW Z4 Coupe
Location: Maineville, Ohio
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si
BMW dealer stripped oil drain plug threads

My BMW dealer stripped my oil pan drain pug threads and tried to blame it on me.
Even though I normally change my own oil, the car was still under the maintenence period and I let them change the oil. They called me at work and told me that the threads were stripped. They wanted to know if I had change the oil last, I told them no and that they were the last to change the oil. I told them that I wanted them to replace the ouk pan and they refused because they said it was too expensive. They insisted on fixing the problem. After bring the car home, I had a large puddle of oil under my car, because their fix did not work. I raised a lot of hell and forced them to replace the oil pan. I was told by one of the employees that they were going to make me pay for half the cost. I guess with all the HELL I raised, they decided on not even bringing it up. It took week before it was resolved.
__________________
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (2007)
- Jet Black exterior
- Red leather interior
- 6-speed
- Sports Mode
- Sports Suspension
- BBS CH 18" wheels (8.5" & 10.0")
- ///M Sport Seats
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2006, 06:12 PM
bimmerZ5 bimmerZ5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, California
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 204
Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Rdstr, E39 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis33
My BMW dealer stripped my oil pan drain pug threads and tried to blame it on me.
Even though I normally change my own oil, the car was still under the maintenence period and I let them change the oil. They called me at work and told me that the threads were stripped. They wanted to know if I had change the oil last, I told them no and that they were the last to change the oil. I told them that I wanted them to replace the ouk pan and they refused because they said it was too expensive. They insisted on fixing the problem. After bring the car home, I had a large puddle of oil under my car, because their fix did not work. I raised a lot of hell and forced them to replace the oil pan. I was told by one of the employees that they were going to make me pay for half the cost. I guess with all the HELL I raised, they decided on not even bringing it up. It took week before it was resolved.
That is freak'n ridiculous! I had a Toyota dealer strip my oil plug threads on my Toyota once. They immediately told me about it as I was waiting in the showroom (30min oil changes) and said they would pay for a rental car for the next 2 days until they get a new oil pan to replace it. I would only pay for the original oil change I brought it in for. Not a single hassle. I didn't say a thing and they stood up to the plate to take care of it. That is one dealership I don't mind paying higher prices for service... wish other places in the industry had that level of service and professionalism, especially a luxury brand like BMW..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,482
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
1) NEVER use a 10 minute place for oil changes.

2) Contact them, they are responsible. You may need to get an attorney involved or your state consume protection agency.

This is expensive enough to work at it.
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2006, 09:01 PM
dawgbone dawgbone is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 316
Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
1) NEVER use a 10 minute place for oil changes.
Let's stress that...I worked at a carwash that did oil changes when I was younger...We would turn down any Honda for that reason...They were notorious for their plugs stripping...and the place didn't want to warranty the oil sump replacement....A dealership will always warranty this regardless...Things like this(on this caliber of car) is worth the extra dollar..IMO...even if you are fully capable...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E46 Auto transmission slip (poor ecconomy) davewebb E46 (1999 - 2006) 7 12-23-2005 03:00 PM
Oil around spark plug? Charliewww E36 (1991 - 1999) 4 12-10-2005 06:09 PM
Qusetion about switching to synthetic oil... PeteG E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) 13 10-20-2004 08:29 PM
S54 Oil Drain Plug Cover JonM E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) 4 06-08-2003 05:27 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms