Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2006, 05:36 PM
SARAFIL's Avatar
SARAFIL SARAFIL is offline
I know a thing or two...
Location: Northeast USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,400
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
BMWFS Improves the MSD Program!

In a bulletin released today, BMWFS made some changes to the MSD (multiple security deposit) program.

The current program is up to 5 over the required amount, and a 0.00005 reduction in the money factor for each one.

The new program is up to 7 over the required amount, and a reduction of 0.0007 per.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-24-2006, 09:02 PM
jayrod jayrod is offline
Registered User
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330I
Really, that's great! Can anyone else confirm?


Not that I don't trust you Sarafil
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2006, 10:05 PM
schley's Avatar
schley schley is offline
This is the Cubs year)
Location: Saudi Arabia (no I'm not kidding)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,001
Mein Auto: camel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
In a bulletin released today, BMWFS made some changes to the MSD (multiple security deposit) program.

The current program is up to 5 over the required amount, and a 0.00005 reduction in the money factor for each one.

The new program is up to 7 over the required amount, and a reduction of 0.0007 per.

do you mean .00007?
__________________
2006 Z4 3.0si -pickup 9/23/06- turned in 8/2/08, titanium silver, black leather, aluminum, step, premium, sport, heated seats
2006 330i e90 ED -Sold 10/23/06
BMWCCA # 350430
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Ågent99's Avatar
Ågent99 Ågent99 is offline
Moderator, 5-Series
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,931
Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
All these decimal places in the MF is so stupid...they really need a new way to represent this number....

Also, could someone explain how these MSDs work?
__________________
2001 530i/5 (E39), Topaz Blue/Stone Green/Black (118k miles) *very rare interior/exterior color combo*
2005 545i/SMG (E60), ED Order, Titanium Grey/Grey (lease over)
2015 335i, ED Order Summer 2015

Last edited by Ågent99; 02-24-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2006, 03:17 AM
DoubleL DoubleL is offline
Registered User
Location: Kempton PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: 330xi
Wow that is a great return on investment. I worked 7 additional SD's into the current deal I am trying to work and for a $4900 investment ($700 * 7) it reduces my payment by $39.40 per month.

Over my 24 month lease that's a total savings of $945.60 (on a $4,900 investment) or 19.3% for the two years.

That's a darn good two year after tax total return you would be hard pressed to match in Wall Street.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2006, 08:12 PM
BayAreaBMWFan BayAreaBMWFan is offline
Back in California
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,251
Mein Auto: '12 328 Vert; '09 Odyssey
SARAFIL:
I am locked on the December program and will be signing my papers on Monday.
Can is I use the 0.0007 negative adder on the old rates too or is it only for new lock ins?
__________________
2012 328Ci Black/Black ZPP
2011 528 Black/Black Retired ZPP ZP2 BMW Apps
2005 330Ci SparkGraphite/Gray Retired ZHP, Step, Nav, Xenon, Heated Seats, PDC
2007 X3 3.0si AlpiWhite/Tobacco ED Retired Step, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, Nav, Xenon, Privacy Glass, Servotronic, Cargo Net
2002 745Li Slate Green Metallic/Beige Retired; Perfect baby-hauler
2006 525 TiAg/Black Retired
2004 3.0 Z4 Black/Black/Black SMG Retired
2003 525iA TiAg/Gray Retired;King of all Bimmers, the E39
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2006, 08:28 PM
AEC AEC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MN
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 185
Mein Auto: 2014 X5 xDrive 35i
I have a related question:

If a leased car is totalled or stolen, is the security deposit refunded to me or is it applied to the "gap" between the actual cash value (paid by my insurance) and the money owed to BMWFS?

I'd probably walk away from the MSD program if there was a chance I'd lose that money if the car was written off. Has this happened to anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2006, 09:37 PM
pfitzpa1 pfitzpa1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 259
Mein Auto: 08 M3 Jerez Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC
I have a related question:

If a leased car is totalled or stolen, is the security deposit refunded to me or is it applied to the "gap" between the actual cash value (paid by my insurance) and the money owed to BMWFS?

I'd probably walk away from the MSD program if there was a chance I'd lose that money if the car was written off. Has this happened to anyone?
I'm not a dealer but I did ask BMWFS this question and Security Deposit is as it is named, a deposit. It is fully refundable. BUT be careful that when the lease numbers are done that the security deposit is entered in the line "Refundable Security Deposit:" on the paperwork and NOT on the "Capatilized Cost Reduction:" line (Which is non refundable and subject to loss if car totalled)..

Last edited by pfitzpa1; 02-25-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-26-2006, 05:46 AM
SARAFIL's Avatar
SARAFIL SARAFIL is offline
I know a thing or two...
Location: Northeast USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,400
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by schley
do you mean .00007?
Oops... yes, 0.00007.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-26-2006, 05:47 AM
SARAFIL's Avatar
SARAFIL SARAFIL is offline
I know a thing or two...
Location: Northeast USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,400
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC
I have a related question:

If a leased car is totalled or stolen, is the security deposit refunded to me or is it applied to the "gap" between the actual cash value (paid by my insurance) and the money owed to BMWFS?

I'd probably walk away from the MSD program if there was a chance I'd lose that money if the car was written off. Has this happened to anyone?

The Security Deposits are refunded if the car is totalled. BMWFS will only keep a portion of the Security Deposit to pay unpaid charges at the end of the lease... excess wear and tear, mileage, late payments, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-26-2006, 05:53 AM
SARAFIL's Avatar
SARAFIL SARAFIL is offline
I know a thing or two...
Location: Northeast USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,400
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
All these decimal places in the MF is so stupid...they really need a new way to represent this number....

Also, could someone explain how these MSDs work?
Your normal security deposit is your monthly payment rounded to the next $50. So, $300 payment = $300 deposit, $302 payment = $350 deposit, $350 payment = $350 deposit, etc.

You are required to pay one deposit at lease signing unless a) you are a current BMWFS customer, or b) you increase the money factor to waive it. You don't get a reduction in the MF for this one required deposit.

In addition to that required one, you can now put down up to 7 additional ones, and you get a decrease of 0.00007 to the MF for each one. So, on a buy rate of 0.0025, you can put down 7 deposits extra and get your new MF to 0.00201.

At the end of the lease, this is fully refundable. They will only keep part of it if you have excess wear charges, mileage penalties, etc. (which they would bill you for regardless of your security deposits, so you'd pay it anyways even if you didn't do MSD.)

If you have a little bit of cash on hand, it's a great investment opportunity. As some have calculated, you can get a very high return (monthly payment savings over the term) on your investment.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-26-2006, 05:53 AM
AEC AEC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MN
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 185
Mein Auto: 2014 X5 xDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfitzpa1
I'm not a dealer but I did ask BMWFS this question and Security Deposit is as it is named, a deposit. It is fully refundable. BUT be careful that when the lease numbers are done that the security deposit is entered in the line "Refundable Security Deposit:" on the paperwork and NOT on the "Capatilized Cost Reduction:" line (Which is non refundable and subject to loss if car totalled)..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
The Security Deposits are refunded if the car is totalled. BMWFS will only keep a portion of the Security Deposit to pay unpaid charges at the end of the lease... excess wear and tear, mileage, late payments, etc.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-26-2006, 09:57 AM
BayAreaBMWFan BayAreaBMWFan is offline
Back in California
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,251
Mein Auto: '12 328 Vert; '09 Odyssey
SARAFIL: Repost.

Is this for new rate locks only or will it work for my lock on the December program too?
__________________
2012 328Ci Black/Black ZPP
2011 528 Black/Black Retired ZPP ZP2 BMW Apps
2005 330Ci SparkGraphite/Gray Retired ZHP, Step, Nav, Xenon, Heated Seats, PDC
2007 X3 3.0si AlpiWhite/Tobacco ED Retired Step, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, Nav, Xenon, Privacy Glass, Servotronic, Cargo Net
2002 745Li Slate Green Metallic/Beige Retired; Perfect baby-hauler
2006 525 TiAg/Black Retired
2004 3.0 Z4 Black/Black/Black SMG Retired
2003 525iA TiAg/Gray Retired;King of all Bimmers, the E39
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-26-2006, 05:36 PM
carnuts3 carnuts3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: connecticut
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 343
Mein Auto: 2011 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
The Security Deposits are refunded if the car is totalled. BMWFS will only keep a portion of the Security Deposit to pay unpaid charges at the end of the lease... excess wear and tear, mileage, late payments, etc.
BMWFS also automatically takes the last payment on the lease out of the security deposit.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-26-2006, 05:52 PM
carnuts3 carnuts3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: connecticut
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 343
Mein Auto: 2011 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleL
Wow that is a great return on investment. I worked 7 additional SD's into the current deal I am trying to work and for a $4900 investment ($700 * 7) it reduces my payment by $39.40 per month.

Over my 24 month lease that's a total savings of $945.60 (on a $4,900 investment) or 19.3% for the two years.

That's a darn good two year after tax total return you would be hard pressed to match in Wall Street.
Not quite. By foregoing the compound interest earned on you $4900 deposit over 2 years, say at 5% per year(or $502.25), your total savings over this period is actually closer to $443.35, or 9% over the lease term. Still good though.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-26-2006, 09:23 PM
DavidNY DavidNY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Westchester
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts3
Not quite. By foregoing the compound interest earned on you $4900 deposit over 2 years, say at 5% per year(or $502.25), your total savings over this period is actually closer to $443.35, or 9% over the lease term. Still good though.
I was trying to figure out why the return seemed so high -good work.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-27-2006, 08:38 AM
DoubleL DoubleL is offline
Registered User
Location: Kempton PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: 330xi
My 19.3% was the two year total (or 9.65 per year in simple interest). Sorry to confuse anyone.

Also "carnuts" you are not deducting the Federal & State taxes you will have to pay on your 5% compound interest if you put your $4,900 in the "bank". All the MSD savings are tax free.

All in all as was said a very smart thing if you have the cash.

Disclaimer: I am an accountant, and accountants are notorious for coming up with strange numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-27-2006, 09:43 AM
gaw00 gaw00 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: 530xi on order
Will the program work in NY state? Have heard from somepeople that the MSD program is not available in NY.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-27-2006, 11:09 AM
pfitzpa1 pfitzpa1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 259
Mein Auto: 08 M3 Jerez Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleL
My 19.3% was the two year total (or 9.65 per year in simple interest). Sorry to confuse anyone.

Also "carnuts" you are not deducting the Federal & State taxes you will have to pay on your 5% compound interest if you put your $4,900 in the "bank". All the MSD savings are tax free.

All in all as was said a very smart thing if you have the cash.

Disclaimer: I am an accountant, and accountants are notorious for coming up with strange numbers.
Does anyone know what the MF reduction on a pre-paid lease is. I've heard there's a significant reduction (better than the MSD) if you can pre-pay.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-27-2006, 11:31 AM
BayAreaBMWFan BayAreaBMWFan is offline
Back in California
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,251
Mein Auto: '12 328 Vert; '09 Odyssey
For prepaid lease the reduction is 0.0008 of the base rates. Many times the special rates are better e.g. The 0.00140 on the 530 vs 0.00290-0,0008 with prepaid.
__________________
2012 328Ci Black/Black ZPP
2011 528 Black/Black Retired ZPP ZP2 BMW Apps
2005 330Ci SparkGraphite/Gray Retired ZHP, Step, Nav, Xenon, Heated Seats, PDC
2007 X3 3.0si AlpiWhite/Tobacco ED Retired Step, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, Nav, Xenon, Privacy Glass, Servotronic, Cargo Net
2002 745Li Slate Green Metallic/Beige Retired; Perfect baby-hauler
2006 525 TiAg/Black Retired
2004 3.0 Z4 Black/Black/Black SMG Retired
2003 525iA TiAg/Gray Retired;King of all Bimmers, the E39
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-27-2006, 08:36 PM
lilskel's Avatar
lilskel lilskel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,184
Mein Auto: 2011 335d ZMP
What do you mean the special lease rate vs a regular lease rate? If I knew there was a special incentive to pre paying the lease I would have because I hasically have a seperate account just to pay for the car automatically so it's pretty much prepaid, but if there was a .0008 reduction in the rate I paid then that would have been $2100 over 3 years..


if you prepay the lease do you still have to pay the .0003 ED adder?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-27-2006, 08:39 PM
pfitzpa1 pfitzpa1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 259
Mein Auto: 08 M3 Jerez Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskel
What do you mean the special lease rate vs a regular lease rate? If I knew there was a special incentive to pre paying the lease I would have because I hasically have a seperate account just to pay for the car automatically so it's pretty much prepaid, but if there was a .0008 reduction in the rate I paid then that would have been $2100 over 3 years..


if you prepay the lease do you still have to pay the .0003 ED adder?
I think the "specials" are the ones advertised on BMWUSA website under "shopping/Lease Offers". Could be wrong though..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Ågent99's Avatar
Ågent99 Ågent99 is offline
Moderator, 5-Series
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,931
Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskel
if you prepay the lease do you still have to pay the .0003 ED adder?
0.0003 ED adder is always present no matter what AFAIK.
__________________
2001 530i/5 (E39), Topaz Blue/Stone Green/Black (118k miles) *very rare interior/exterior color combo*
2005 545i/SMG (E60), ED Order, Titanium Grey/Grey (lease over)
2015 335i, ED Order Summer 2015
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-28-2006, 02:01 PM
BayAreaBMWFan BayAreaBMWFan is offline
Back in California
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,251
Mein Auto: '12 328 Vert; '09 Odyssey
BMWFS has a base money factor (currently 0.0029) which applies to all cars.
Then they have model and term specific money factors. If you look at the lease rates posted in the sticky you will see the 0.0029 MF for cars which BMWFS does not want to subsidize (e.g. the 760Li) or for terms more than 36 months. Any MF less than the 0.0029 is a special MF for the particular model and lease term.

In the pre-paid lease you take 0.0008 off the base MF. Very often it is more than the special MF in place for the car you are looking for.
__________________
2012 328Ci Black/Black ZPP
2011 528 Black/Black Retired ZPP ZP2 BMW Apps
2005 330Ci SparkGraphite/Gray Retired ZHP, Step, Nav, Xenon, Heated Seats, PDC
2007 X3 3.0si AlpiWhite/Tobacco ED Retired Step, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, Nav, Xenon, Privacy Glass, Servotronic, Cargo Net
2002 745Li Slate Green Metallic/Beige Retired; Perfect baby-hauler
2006 525 TiAg/Black Retired
2004 3.0 Z4 Black/Black/Black SMG Retired
2003 525iA TiAg/Gray Retired;King of all Bimmers, the E39
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-28-2006, 02:18 PM
lilskel's Avatar
lilskel lilskel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,184
Mein Auto: 2011 335d ZMP
Oh well then forget about the prepay, the monthly MF's are always better than .0029, that would be the day I leased with a MF that high! I shoot for .0010
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMWFS Lease Program - October 2005 dencoop Ask-A-Dealer 3 10-12-2005 03:41 PM
MSD program changing?? FIA Ask-A-Dealer 2 06-04-2003 10:17 PM
Newsflash!!!! MSD program has changed!!!! Jon Shafer Ask-A-Dealer 16 05-18-2003 09:46 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms