Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-25-2006, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: x
Cost for replacing brake pads, rotors and sensor

I took my car to a local Tire Plus store to have my tires replaced. After the work is done, they informed me that the pads need to be replaced and rotors are worn and can't be serviced anymore. (My E46 is a 2000 with 35K miles, so it's true that I'm mostly in stop-and-go traffic). Labor and parts cost $1000.93. The guy mentioned that the parts they're going to use will be genuine BMW stuff as aftermarkets are too expensive. They won't order the parts from local (Kansas City) BMW dealer, instead they quoted the price based on the local Merz+Jag+Land Rover (i.e. Luxury Imports) dealer (Aristocrat Motors, for those of you in KC area).

Since the BMW dealer is closed for the weekend (I called after 3pm local time), instead of waiting for monday to get response from them, just want to get an idea what's the "average" cost of having all those replaced? Do you think all of them have to be replaced? That guy told me the brakes are so worn that the sensors won't be able to detect the brake and the brake warning light will come up just a matter of time.

Not that I want to skip this, as I'm ready to have them serviced anyway, just that the cost gave me a shock.

Also, for those who are in KC, did you know Aristocrat services Bimmers? Have you taken your Bimmer there for servicing?
Ads by Google
Old 02-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci 5sp PP SP
The brakes on these cars seem to need servicing around every 35,000 miles. You should be able to get them done at a good independent BMW shop for around $350 per axle using good quality parts including pads, rotors and new sensors.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
They`re trying to charge you dealer prices....you can get the parts (all OEM-quality) for right around $300 (for all 4 wheels)....add another $200-250 labor at an indy shop (it`s only about 2-3 hours labor for a skilled mechanic). It`s also a pretty easy DIY....are you mechanically inclined?

Regards,
Bob
Old 02-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Warrior Librarian

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Would extended maintenance cover this? How about extended warranty?

Old 02-25-2006, 10:36 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
Dealer quoted me $1000, ground him down to $450 rather quickly.

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 2.5, '13 ATS 2.0T
My 2002 E46 had 32K miles on it when I had just the pads changed at an indy shop. I bought my own pads (Axxis Deluxe plus for $86-including shipping Get them they are great. No dust for a few weeks and brake very well), anti-sqeal compound and fitting lube for around $10, 2 BMW sensors for around $17-didn't need them, but what the hell. The indy charged me $150. So the whol deal cost about $260. The BMW stealer wanted around $450. Adjust for the rotors (which you should get yourself) and you will see that it certainly will cost far less than the stealer's price and you'll wind up with parts that are as good as BMW originals or better. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob
They`re trying to charge you dealer prices....you can get the parts (all OEM-quality) for right around $300 (for all 4 wheels)....add another $200-250 labor at an indy shop (it`s only about 2-3 hours labor for a skilled mechanic). It`s also a pretty easy DIY....are you mechanically inclined?

Regards,
Bob
Have never done any DIY on a car... and I don't have the tools to do it, so...
Old 02-26-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
Dealer quoted me $1000, ground him down to $450 rather quickly.
How exactly got the dealer to lower the price??
Old 02-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
I bought all my stuff at Turner Motorsport, except pads. I wanted to try the Axxis Deluxe plus, so I got them from Mod Bargains(really freaking slow shipping ). You can see the prices on turner by adding to the cart, it was the cheapest "total" price I could find for sensors, rotors, ATE Blue brake fluid.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun
Have never done any DIY on a car... and I don't have the tools to do it, so...
Well, for the $1000 that shop quoted you, you could go buy yourself all the tools you would need:

Jack
Jack Stands
3/8 " Ratchet
set of metric 6-point sockets 10mm - 19mm range
set of metric 6-point box/open ended wrenches 7mm-19mm
Channel lock pliers
Rubber Mallet
Set of metric allen wrenches
Rags/gojo/nitrile gloves
A pressure bleeder (w/ or wo/ catch bottle)
E46 Bentley Manual

AND all the parts you will need:

New pads, front (& rear if needed)
New rotors, front (& rear if needed)
1 liter DOT-4 brake fluid
2 brake pad wear sesors (1 frront & 1 rear)

You could search around the area for BMW CCA club members. I'm guessing, based on my experience, that they will come out of the woodwork to help you work on your car.

Then you can do the job in your garage, go out and bed your new pads and rotors, and still have plenty of money left over to do an oil change and take the person who helped you out to dinner.

Then, the next time you need to do your brakes it will only cost you the prices of:
Pads
Rotors (if you need them)
Fluid

Plus, it's fun!

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 02-26-2006, 11:13 AM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
I second doing it yourself. Dealers charge far too much money for a simple job like that.

Spend the money for the work towards the tools you need (none are very specialized) and you'll hve them for your other cars or the next time a DIY opportunity presents itself.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:29 AM

Thanks alot for your opinions, guys... BTW, nice rims, ffej!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:37 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukowski
Would extended maintenance cover this? How about extended warranty?
Maintenance, yes. Warranty, no.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
You can find someone to do it cheaper than $1,000. I'd say around $325-$350 an axle would be a fair price.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325Xi
i hate to resurrect threads back from the dead, but when you say 325-350 per axle, do you mean either the front or the rear brakes or did you mean any one of the rotors alone?

i got my BMW certified and it will be for the next year or so, would maintenance cover this, or was it a separate thing that you can choose to buy or not when purchasing the car?

im pretty mechanically inclined, ive worked in my schools shop for the past couple years, but why does the BMW need brake fluid when changing the pads?? ive never worked on a BMW before as i mostly do hondas and toyotas, but whats so different about BMWs brakes which makes it need brake fluid during a brake job?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325XiE46
i hate to resurrect threads back from the dead, but when you say 325-350 per axle, do you mean either the front or the rear brakes or did you mean any one of the rotors alone?
Both rotors on the axle

Quote:
i got my BMW certified and it will be for the next year or so, would maintenance cover this, or was it a separate thing that you can choose to buy or not when purchasing the car?
If your maintenance extends out to the time you need it, it will be covered. But a CPO just gives you an extended warranty, which doesn't cover brakes.

Quote:
im pretty mechanically inclined, ive worked in my schools shop for the past couple years, but why does the BMW need brake fluid when changing the pads?? ive never worked on a BMW before as i mostly do hondas and toyotas, but whats so different about BMWs brakes which makes it need brake fluid during a brake job?
You change the brake fluid for similar reasons as changing the oil. Contaminants are introduced, the fluid brakes down and becomes less effective over time. You don't really *need* to change your brake fluid when you change your pads, but it is the most logical time to do it. Many people (me, included) change their brake fluid every six months. My pads last longer than that.

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 03-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325XiE46

"Per axle" refers to either FRONT or REAR (both wheels)
All cars should have their brake fluid changed every 2 years or so....just bleeding them will also require some fluid.

Regards,
Bob