Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-27-2006, 05:41 AM
I run gentoo. You?

Mein Auto: '09 328i
Help!! ASC light stays on! (and trunk lights too!)

'97 318ic. ASC light will turn on after a few minutes of driving, and stays on until I shut off the car. Pressing the ASC button doesn't toggle the light either. Problem seemed intermittent until over the weekend, when the light stayed on 3 out of the 4 times I was driving the car.

Note: ABS light does NOT come on though.

I ran a search here and people seem to suggest checking the wheel speed sensors. How would I go about doing that? Is it a replace-and-hope-for-the-best type thing? I'm assuming my car is still safe to drive since it's just the ASC but I am still freaking out about this a bit. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by jillyjellyroll; 02-27-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-27-2006, 04:37 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Asc

I think before I pulled the wheel sensors I would check the connector and linkage to the throttle body. A corroded connector could easily throw an ASC light. Usually the ABS light will come on if you have a wheel sensor acting up. By the way they are pretty easy to pull and clean. Take the wheel off and on the backing plate of the wheel look for a small allen bolt that holds the ABS sensor in place. Remove the allend bolt, pull the sensor, clean the sensor and reinstall....
Old 02-27-2006, 04:45 PM
I run gentoo. You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive
I think before I pulled the wheel sensors I would check the connector and linkage to the throttle body. A corroded connector could easily throw an ASC light. Usually the ABS light will come on if you have a wheel sensor acting up. By the way they are pretty easy to pull and clean. Take the wheel off and on the backing plate of the wheel look for a small allen bolt that holds the ABS sensor in place. Remove the allend bolt, pull the sensor, clean the sensor and reinstall....
Forgive me for sounding stupid, but am I looking to pull the ABS sensor? If I pull the ABS sensor how do I check the connector and linkage to the throttle body?

Also, another issue I just noticed. When I turn off my car, sometimes my interior trunk lights stay on. None of the regular interior lights do, just the trunk ones. I can see it from the outside of the car through the clear reflectors (reverse lights).
Old 02-28-2006, 09:21 AM
I run gentoo. You?

An update: The ASC light didn't turn on when I drove home from the train station last night, nor did the light come on this morning when I was driving to the train station. Temperature was slightly warmer than the previous morning when the light came on. Not sure if that matters...
Old 12-25-2008, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
exact same thing with my 97 328i. Does not come on when warm outside. Comes on when cold.