Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-10-2006, 02:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325ci
Exclamation Violent Shaking!!!!!2003 e46 happened to you?

I am a proud owner of a 2003 325 Ci 39k miles until recently. One cold January morning the car decided it didn't want to start. After a few attempts I managed to get the car running, only to be met with an extremely rough idle. Dealer diagnosed the 4th coil needed replacing. With the coil replaced the car seemed to drive better, but the problem wasn't solved, so I took it back. Three days later, after I called to check on the progress, I was told the car was ready. When I went to pick it up I found they had not touched my car(they forgot they had my car). We rescheduled and this time they had my car for one week, but they were unable to find a problem. Two days later the car died out on me, so I took the car in again. This time they said they read a fault on the mass airflow sensor and replaced it. So far it seems that the problem with the rough idle and the misfires have gone. Then, I was driving on the expressway about 60mph and I began feeling shaking, without fear I continued on to higher speeds as I reached 80mph the shaking began getting violent. I then let off the throttle and allowed the car to slow back down to around 60mph, as the car was slowing the shaking became more violent(it was soo bad I began thinking the wheels were coming loose). The car also pulls to the left slighlty, then all of a sudden it will steer to the right, then pull left again. I did extensive searching on this site, but found nothing on this subject. I have also heard those wierd noises coming from my front drivers and passengers suspension area(dealer claims everything is normal). Any suggestions? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2006, 05:33 AM
•••••••

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Control arms/bushings?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:25 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
It could be many things control arms, bent rim, loose wheel bolts, whatever it is its dangerous take it to the dealer for a look over ASAP.

If it was my car I wouldn't drive anywhere but to the service center.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:28 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Do you feel the voilent shaking in the steering wheel or does it seem to be that the engine is misfiring?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charemyes
I am a proud owner of a 2003 325 Ci 39k miles until recently. One cold January morning the car decided it didn't want to start. After a few attempts I managed to get the car running, only to be met with an extremely rough idle. Dealer diagnosed the 4th coil needed replacing. With the coil replaced the car seemed to drive better, but the problem wasn't solved, so I took it back. Three days later, after I called to check on the progress, I was told the car was ready. When I went to pick it up I found they had not touched my car(they forgot they had my car). We rescheduled and this time they had my car for one week, but they were unable to find a problem. Two days later the car died out on me, so I took the car in again. This time they said they read a fault on the mass airflow sensor and replaced it. So far it seems that the problem with the rough idle and the misfires have gone. Then, I was driving on the expressway about 60mph and I began feeling shaking, without fear I continued on to higher speeds as I reached 80mph the shaking began getting violent. I then let off the throttle and allowed the car to slow back down to around 60mph, as the car was slowing the shaking became more violent(it was soo bad I began thinking the wheels were coming loose). The car also pulls to the left slighlty, then all of a sudden it will steer to the right, then pull left again. I did extensive searching on this site, but found nothing on this subject. I have also heard those wierd noises coming from my front drivers and passengers suspension area(dealer claims everything is normal). Any suggestions? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Gosh, your car starts noticeably shaking at 60 mph and you speed up to 80...? Hmmm...

I would be tempted to get the car up on jacks at once.

First, remove the wheels. Check for loose lug nuts. If found, re-torque to specifications.

After wheels are removed, inspect all suspension bolts and attachment points for obvious loose or failed or missing items e.g. shiny wear spots, rusted holes with no obvious bolts, loose or unattached Important Looking metal bars etc.

Failing anything turning up I would have the car flat-bedded to a BMW garage to get with a professional.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 AM

I pulled off the expressway promptly and checked the tires and lug nuts. Everything checked out ok.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:21 AM

yes i do feel it in the steering wheel, although I also feel it in the entire cabin. The coins in the coin tray were jumping around....
Old 03-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 330i
I once had an out of balance tire do that to me. The weight got caught either in a car wash or on a lift and the car developed a slight vibration at 60 that got worse at certain speeds (and even worse on deceleration). Funny thing was that it took the dealer a week to figure that one out...
Old 03-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I pulled off the expressway promptly and checked the tires and lug nuts. Everything checked out ok.
Not to be stupid, but you mean you checked the torque of each lug nut with a torque wrench?

I like the theory of a wheel weight falling off.

This could be confirmed by a simple spin balance; either at the BMW Dealer or at your favorite independant shop.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:01 PM
BMWCCA #417796

Mein Auto: e46
Something similar happened to me. It turned out to be that the brake fluid was leeking out on the brake pads and when they got hot enough (after about 20 minutes of driving) it caused the car to shake. They had to replace the caliper, disc, sensor, brake pad and fluid.

For Sale: Wahler Thermostat
Old 03-10-2006, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335i Sedan
it happened to me once exactly as to you
it turned out to be the fuel pump
Old 03-10-2006, 08:18 PM

Oh wow you guys are overwhelming me with the possibilities, but i like it. I checked the wheels with the wrench in the trunk, but all the lug nuts were as tight as can be. I thought it might me the wheels out of balance, but after a visual inspection by myself I noticed all the weights on the front wheels were still intact. Can the wheels be out of balance and still have the weights in place? The brake fluid experience has me a bit intrigued, because the dealer recently changed the rotors and brake pads(supposedly the noise I was hearing coming from my suspension was actually the brakes). I do not agree with my dealer though. I appreciate the suggestions keep them coming.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh wow you guys are overwhelming me with the possibilities, but i like it. I checked the wheels with the wrench in the trunk, but all the lug nuts were as tight as can be. I thought it might me the wheels out of balance, but after a visual inspection by myself I noticed all the weights on the front wheels were still intact. Can the wheels be out of balance and still have the weights in place? The brake fluid experience has me a bit intrigued, because the dealer recently changed the rotors and brake pads(supposedly the noise I was hearing coming from my suspension was actually the brakes). I do not agree with my dealer though. I appreciate the suggestions keep them coming.
Reference the wheel weights, sure, it absolutely can be a problem if the weights that remain on the wheel are still on the car. If one has fallen off you may notice evidence it was not there (marks etc.)

Best get the wheels off and spin balanced I'd say.

The brakes can be inspected with the car up on jacks (safely, of course) as well. Look for leaks, shiny spots, etc. Although for the life of me I'm not sure I can work out how brake fluid on the suspension components might induce a mechanical resonance that translates to vibration.

- J.C. Watts Jr.