Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i
Extended Warranty did not cover everything on car

Ok - here's the situation.

Bought my Bimmer in Nov 2005 (2003 BMW 330i w/ Sport Package & @ 52,000 miles).

Bought Extended Warranty on 01/30/06 (3 years / 100,000 miles warranty) for $2,300.00 with $0.00 Deducatble.

Bought the Platium Plan - everything/component covered.

I waited the 30 days / 1,000 miles exclusion time period before making a claim.

Issues with the car:

1) SES came on (Bad Secondairy Air Pump)
2) Front Wheel Bearing doing bad - Loud Humming Noise
3) Sun Shade broken on Moon Roof
4) Driver side front window opens and closes slowly

Granted all of this happen a month after I bought the car (Happen in Dec) - hence I decided to buy the warranty.

Took the car in on Monday 03/06/06 to BMW Dealer for warranty Service. They found the following things wrong:

1) Bad Secondairy Air Pump (I already Knew)
2) Front Drive Side Wheel Bearing bad (I already knew)
3) Sun Shade broken (I already knew)
4) 3 of the 4 window regulator going bad (Thought it was only 1 window)
5) Power Steering Pump leaking (Did not know)
6) Rear Brakes need Pads and Rotors replace (Did not know)
7) Serpentine Belts need replacing (Did not know)

BMW Dealer spoke with Extended Warranty and they decide to cover items # 2, 3, and 4 under warranty.

They stated that #5 P.S. Pump was leaking prior to getting warranty - based on the look of the leak - must of been leaking for at least 6 months????

They also stated that they will not cover #1 (Stated in the exclusion section - Will not cover Exhaust or emission system part - Will not cover Sedondary Ignition System.)

So what they did cover ended up costing them $1700.00 in parts and labor.

The dealer wants $900 to replace the PS Pump, $500 per wheel to replace the pad and rotors ($1,000 total for the rear). Didn't bother to ask about the belts.

So I called the extended Warranty place and they explained to me why they didn't cover the parts #1 and #5. They also said that some of the other repairs were questionable but went ahead and honored it anyways.

So should I be upset or happy that they did cover those other items listed above?

I called Midas and they quotes $165 to replace both belts. I can get Stock Rotors for about $45-$55 each for the rears or $100-$120 each for Performance Slots/Drilled Rotors and have a local shop install them. I can get the Secondary Air Pump for $200 online - do I need the Secondary Air pump Valve too for $85. (It recommends getting both) Also where can I get new hoses for the pump (Mind as well replace those too right?) - I'm assuming the dealer is the only place.

As far as the PS Pump - I think it's only a leak - will check the hose first before forking over $$ on a new one - besides even if I did - will not go to dealer to do it. They want $450 for part and $357 for labor to replace PS Pump.

So should I be mad or happy with the Extended Warranty - If they cover the PS Pump the total would of cost $2600.00 which sould be more then what I paid for the warranty itself.

I though BMW were very reliable - Never had this much stuff fixed on my Honda Civic and that car was a 2002.

But I'm not complaining - Driving the Bimmer is well worth the maintance cost.

Thanks and sorry so long.

Mike
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2006, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 04 M3 Coupe SMG
I seem to recall emissions stuff has to be warrantied by the manufacturer for quite a bit. not sure if the secondary air pump falls under that but I would think it does. Better look into it, I am not sure how it is.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:24 PM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
If you are talking about the BMW extended warranty that does not cover brakes, belts or hoses those would be covered under the extended maintenance contract.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:38 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
If you are talking about the BMW extended warranty that does not cover brakes, belts or hoses those would be covered under the extended maintenance contract.
It couldn't be a BMW Extended Warranty - those are only available to the original owner of the car. The poster states they purchased at 52,000 miles.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:32 PM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
It couldn't be a BMW Extended Warranty - those are only available to the original owner of the car. The poster states they purchased at 52,000 miles.
You are correct.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i
Yes - I bought the extended warranty through a 3rd party. A Lot cheaper then from the dealer and with a lot more coverage.

Oh - well. So far I am please with the warranty.

Just a little bum out about the Power Steering Pump leaking. I don't think it a bad PS pump - just a leaky one - can that be fixed?

May just try to just change the hose first and maybe try a PS Fluid sealent.

As far as the brakes and belts - that's just mantainance parts and the extended warranty will not cover that - didn't expect them too either.

This is a 3rd party warranty that I bought - It's a lot cheaper then buying through the dealer and covers a lot more parts.

Now I just need to change the belts (Recommended at 60,000 miles - may wait but then again why bother - just get it done - peace of mind)

Also will do the brakes - will go to Midas or Firestone or NTB and see how much they quote - if too much - Will buy the rotors and pads myself and have a local shop install them - at least that way I get performance Rotors for the same price as paying for stock ones and havind midas/firestion/ntb install them.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-11-2006, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i, 01 325I
Let me guess.................Under the PS resovouir the back hose that goes directly down to the pump is leaking where it is attached to the res??????? Join the club. I think they all are. Wipe it off every couple of months and forget about it. They all leak! Just be sure that you actually do wipe it off. If you don't, it will drip on the alternator. You don't want to pay to fix that. Although, it is probably covered under the contract.

If you have a manual, the belts are really easy to replace, buy them online for $15 and put them on. I just did my 01 when I was replacing my Alternator. The main serpentine belt was bad, but the a/c belt looked great.

Buy some pads and put them. Total cost $55 for pads. Not getting taken to the cleaners by the stealership, priceless!

So, is it the resovouir or the pump that is leaking? I am sure your pump is fine. Try putting a new clip on the hose that is leaking. The originals are crap. Cost $1.59

Less than $75, you are as good as new!

Last edited by Hutchman; 03-11-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335
just a good point to read the fine print on what the 3rd parties extended warranties cover.

glad i bought extended warranty and maint when i bought the car new. it's a nice chunk up front, though.