Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 10-11-2002, 09:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02' 330ci
big boy clutch stop 02' 330ci

just ordered a big boy clutch stop for my 02' 330ci, been having troubles shifting quickly / smoothly and using this car like it should. I have read ALOT of posts on this but seems that everyone has a different year / model and each one has a diff switch setup. Anyone have any specifics and or recommendations on installing this on the 02' 330ci.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 10-11-2002, 10:13 AM
Phlyers Phan

Mein Auto: 08 //M3 Sedan
i did it on a 2002 325i a little while ago

view my original post:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...threadid=10877
Old 10-11-2002, 10:54 PM
Touring with Traction

Mein Auto: 2009 328i XDrive Touring
I had ordered the UUC stop as well, but they were having delays shipping, so I read the thread on Fanatics: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=clutch+stop

So I bought the 50mm bolt for 30 cents, screwed it into the existing clutch stop hole (did not bother with the rubber pad), and it works like a charm. With the 50mm bolt, I have to screw it all the way in to get the start switch tripped. You may have to try a 40mm bolt if the 50mm does not work.

Cheapest quick fix out there. I still don't like the clutch feel - the engage point seems to vary from just above the clutch stop to an inch or two higher, but it is much better than stock.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Steel Grey Rulz

Send a message via AIM to John V 01 325CI
Mein Auto: 2001 325CI Steel Grey
Quote:
Originally posted by '02-325XiT
I bought the 50mm bolt for 30 cents, screwed it into the existing clutch stop hole (did not bother with the rubber pad), and it works like a charm. With the 50mm bolt, I have to screw it all the way in to get the start switch tripped.
Cheapest quick fix out there. I still don't like the clutch feel - the engage point seems to vary from just above the clutch stop to an inch or two higher, but it is much better than stock.
I have a Big Boy clutch stop on my car, and 20 mins after putting it in we made on for my freinds car out of a 50mm bolt and his existing clutch stop, just as you did. There really is not reason to buy one. When I got mine, I have to say it was a total impulse buy and while it is very nice and made very nice, its not worth the $$.

Make your own and you should be fine.

BUT, you may need to modify your clutch interupt switch. On my car I had too. Here are a couple of pics of what I did. It works great and I have had no problems. It truely makes the car feel different, and cant believe BMW doesnt fine tune the cars themselves with something so simple.

If you have to modify your switch this is what I did.
First you must remove the panel under the steering wheel. I would recommend you to do this first anyway. Check and see if you have a switch like the one in my pic labeled "stock". If you do this should be easy for you.

Given you have this type of switch, you have a couple of choices on how to modify it.

My way is more permanent and wont ever fail. I have heard of others who glue the rubber spacer to the plunger. By glueing it the clutch will engage the switch ealier and make the whole thing work. IMO the glue idea is good, but has the chance of failing and then the clutch stop wouldnt work and you would have to remove it to start the car again.

So what I did was drill throught the plunger and inserted a bolt and a few rubber spacers I had.I used some locktite and With a few adjustments it works great. The pics should give you a good idea of how it all should work.

Good Luck

Let me know if you have any other questions

Go to John V 325CI's Home Page
Goto BMWCCA.com see what they have to offer
BMWUSA.com for more info on BMW
Go to John V 325CI's Home Page

Old 10-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Touring with Traction

Mein Auto: 2009 328i XDrive Touring
Nice pictures, and a nice solution to the problem. My understanding is that the '02s are different, though (Hall effect sensor?), so for '02 folks it may be easier to experiment with different length bolts (I've heard everything form 50mm to 35mm) - I bought 4 different size bolts, but the 50mm worked first try.