Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
The viral video of the day. Guitar player Tina S.

It still has less than 1 million views, but the day is young.

15 yo girl Tina S. shreds Dragon Force - Through the Fire and Flames.

Advertisement
Old 03-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Holy chit!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
WOW!!! No chit!! That is amazing
Old 03-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Old 03-07-2015, 09:01 AM

Old 03-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Totally relaxed.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:36 PM
I just don't get it?

Mein Auto: 335xi, Mini, Renegade
Not to take away from the girls abilities on the bottom two vids - especially covering Gilmore, who I think is one of the best and I feel rarely covered because of the difficulty.

But that top video seems to speed up at times. Almost unnatural.

Very impressive though.

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.

Proud owner of 3 turbos and 1 supercharger
Old 03-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Oh, so that's how she did this. Practice.

This is a "cute" video. Very well made, showing her progress from a 6 (?) years old on her new guitar to 15. Interesting that she had the same face expression when playing even back then. That distant day dreaming gaze into empty space.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:26 PM

MatWiz.....This thread you started was the find of the century. This young lady is insanely talented...at ANY age let alone 14-15. One thing I find in common with anyone that is obviously ahead of their class is that "distant day dreaming gaze into empty space"....
Old 03-08-2015, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
I sent the Tina S video to a friend who plays guitar. He said that after watching Tina S he took his guitars to his backyard and set fire to them.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Psychology Reversalist

So... Do you guys know Vivaldi?

The Four Seasons, etc. If you can't remember what he wrote, Youtube The Four Seasons, Spring, and in the first 10 seconds you'd recognise his music.

I got a kick out of something earlier today that I must share with you guys. I visited a customer, she is about 70 y/o I think. Right at her entryway there were 2 small Ukulele. (Those tiny guitars like instruments). Asked her if she played them she said those are for her grandson who likes to play them. Asked her if she played anything else, she said she was a violinist for many years. She can't play now at her age.

So I told her that I found this 15 yo Tina S on Youtube and she is great and that she plays a piece of Vivaldi, that she would probably like to see. "You know Vivaldi, right?", "Of course I do. Four Seasons, and..". "So you know Summer? "Of course I do!". "So you know that end of the piece, when they start playing fast". "Oh, of course, I know it very well!" she is saying with a smile. Well, it's a violin part, so she knows it and played it.

"OK, so this girl Tina, she is playing that end part on her electric guitar... She looked surprised and said she'd like to write her name down and looked it out later.

But I had my iPad in my hand and I said let me show you now.

The video started and in seconds (literally) she put her head forward to the iPad, "WOW! She is good! I looked at her not expecting such a quick response and immediately came "OH, BEAUTIFUL!!! and then, "NICE Transitions!". All of that, within the maybe first 10 seconds of the video. She sat there, watching the video, watching Tina's fingers like a hawk. HUGE smile on her face. The woman was beyond herself elated watching this.

Honestly I was very surprised. Kinda like she gave me validation of how good Tina is? I knew she is good, but not THAT good. I asked her "she is really that good??", She said "Ohhh! She is great! She went on to explain how and why she is that good.

So wow, a violinist is completely impressed with her. It was a good perspective.

So here is Tina playing Vivaldi's Summer. But It is more interesting to first hear the original. Start from 7:45 to the end to hear what it sounds like. Then listen to Tina S.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:21 PM

Do I know Vivaldi?! He was my roommate in college...

Yes I saw Tina's Vivaldi version on youtube and was going to post it here but I didn't want to over do it. She is amazing, I hope she becomes an amazing performer that I can buy front row tickets to see one day.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:36 PM
apprentice curmudgeon

Mein Auto: A bunch of things
One organization I'm in has a gifted childrens program. I've dealt with child musical prodigy's and they often have the distant look as they aren't really looking at anything. It's like sighting in on a target over open sights. A good shot doesn't close the off eye, they just ignore it. A musician will look at nothing as their mind is completely focused on the instrument.

If Tina decides to make music a career, I hope she makes a pot full of money. I also hope her parents are protecting her from the vulture producers who take advantage of the performers and drain off all the profits. TV shows like American Idol are like that too. If she just wants to play because she enjoys it, well, just so long as she posts videos.......

Text if you want to meet him.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' grouch View Post
One organization I'm in has a gifted childrens program. I've dealt with child musical prodigy's and they often have the distant look as they aren't really looking at anything. It's like sighting in on a target over open sights. A good shot doesn't close the off eye, they just ignore it. A musician will look at nothing as their mind is completely focused on the instrument.

If Tina decides to make music a career, I hope she makes a pot full of money. I also hope her parents are protecting her from the vulture producers who take advantage of the performers and drain off all the profits. TV shows like American Idol are like that too. If she just wants to play because she enjoys it, well, just so long as she posts videos.......
I agree.

Much would need to come into alignment for complete success of this amazing young lady in terms of management. From the talent standpoint it is crystal clear Tina has that covered very well. I simply cannot imagine her in 5-10 years....seriously...How much better can she really get? I've read that she is personally unhappy with how she feels about some of her work, and here again I see that as normal with artists and perfectionists.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:46 PM
In Heaven

Mein Auto: F01 B7/F02 750/E60 535i
You guys need to see her playing Eruption or Arpaggio from Hell... It will blow your mind... I will try to post...

Mr. 29,000th...
2014 Chevy Silverado - daily driver
2012 750LI - wife car
2011 B7...Mine...Precious
2008 535i - now my son's car
2008 335i - lease - returned
2007 750li - retired
2004 545i - retired
1999 Chevy Silverado-retired
1991 Chevy Silverado-retired
1989 GTI-retired
1982 320i - retired
1980 Audi 80-retired
Old 03-12-2015, 04:47 PM
In Heaven

Mr. 29,000th...
2012 750LI - wife car
2007 750li - retired
2004 545i - retired
1989 GTI-retired
1982 320i - retired
1980 Audi 80-retired
Old 03-12-2015, 04:50 PM
In Heaven

And this one...

Mr. 29,000th...
2012 750LI - wife car
2007 750li - retired
2004 545i - retired
1989 GTI-retired
1982 320i - retired
1980 Audi 80-retired
Old 05-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Psychology Reversalist

New cover! Metallica - Master Of Puppets

Old 05-18-2015, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Holy crap does that young lady have talent!! Awesome!
BMW 550i
Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 325i/X5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
Holy crap does that young lady have talent!! Awesome!
Why does she waste it playing Metallica?

Old 05-19-2015, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
She seems to be a decent technician for her age but there is a lot more to music than playing fast chromatic runs which are easily memorized and repeated. Hopefully she and her teacher are working on those things.
Too bad she has veered away from real music into rock.
It would be nice to see and hear her when she becomes musical some day rather than suffering through the pounding out of notes and riffs. So far, she is on track to be more like Kenny G rather than a musical genius like Mozart, or Segovia, or Metheny.

PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwilson View Post
Why does she waste it playing Metallica?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
She seems to be a decent technician for her age but there is a lot more to music than playing fast chromatic runs which are easily memorized and repeated. Hopefully she and her teacher are working on those things.
It would be nice to see and hear her when she becomes musical some day rather than suffering through the pounding out of notes and riffs. So far, she is on track to be more like Kenny G rather than a musical genius like Mozart, or Segovia, or Metheny
LOL at guys who don't like her taste in music whining about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman
I don't like the sound of it, so I won't show any appreciation for how technical it may be or the fact she enjoys it and will be inspired by it!

Iím usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 2015 M4 Convertible
The viral video of the day. Guitar player Tina S.

Quote:
It would be nice to see and hear her when she becomes musical some day rather than suffering through the pounding out of notes and riffs. So far, she is on track to be more like Kenny G rather than a musical genius like Mozart, or Segovia, or Metheny.

I would have to agree to a certain extent. What makes for musicianship is not necessarily what you play but what you don't play but what she is doing is definitely not easy.

She has amazing technique and a lot of talent but I would like to see (hear what she can do playing with other players). I don't fault her taste in music as some of the best guitar players around play rock. As impressive as she is now she will undoubtedly keep getting better and better and I look forward to hearing more from her in the future.

Here is one of my favorite (and IMO one of the most musical) rock guitarists accompanied by young, super talented, female bassist Tal Wilkenfeld.

FWIW when I was a recording engineer I worked with Kenny G and I respect his technical ability although I am not necessarily a fan of his recordings.

I posted a video of an 11 year old Jazz Pianist in this forum. This kid is playing in a trio with a world class drummer and bassist and is completely at home.

Its amazing how accomplished these young musicians are.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-19-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&K View Post
LOL at guys who don't like her taste in music whining about it!
I didn't whine about it. I just said it was too bad she veered away from real music. That is called an opinion, not whining.

Rock is the most simplistic form of music (than nursery rhymes) and the easiest to copy, or replicate, or imitate.

I do hope she develops musicality some day. She certainly has accomplished the ability to play a lot of notes in a repetitive fashion exactly as previously preformed by other Musicians. However, that does not have anything to do with being a musician.

I saw the Vienna Philharmonic in person last week. Talk about mind blowing.

BTW, my brother recorded an album with Barry Manilow and said he was one of the most professional people he had ever recorded with. That doesn't mean the dude could swing to save his life.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Last edited by cruise_bone; 05-19-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 2015 M4 Convertible
Quote:
I didn't whine about it. I just said it was too bad she veered away from real music. That is called an opinion, not whining.

Rock is the most simplistic form of music (than nursery rhymes) and the easiest to copy, or replicate, or imitate.

I do hope she develops musicality some day. She certainly has accomplished the ability to play a lot of notes in a repetitive fashion exactly as previously preformed by other Musicians. However, that does not have anything to do with being a musician.

I saw the Vienna Philharmonic in person last week. Talk about mind blowing.

BTW, my brother recorded an album with Barry Manilow and said he was one of the most professional people he had ever recorded with. That doesn't mean the dude could swing to save his life.
Anyone here interested in trying to imitate this?

Or this?

Or this?

Or this?

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-19-2015 at 12:43 PM.