Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Slacker

Mein Auto: 9A1
Quote:
Originally Posted by apar330i
I'm with you. I can think of a thousand other things to waste my $$$ on.
I beat my watches to ****e, right now I have a nike runner's watch which was a holiday gift. My wife did give me a Tag a few years ago which I wear about 10 times a year at best.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Oh yeah, she's my baby...

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexed
I beat my watches to ****e, right now I have a nike runner's watch which was a holiday gift. My wife did give me a Tag a few years ago which I wear about 10 times a year at best.
I wear the same watch for everything. For all it's been through it still looks pretty good. I've bounced around the idea of getting a new one but can't see it - not until this one croaks.

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
Old 03-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP
Welcome back, you're making friends fast.
Yup- he's the same old TD. makes you wonder why they let him back in.

Last edited by GJR; 03-14-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:11 PM
silence57

Mein Auto: 335i
Great watches all... IMHO, watches are only in part

to tell the time. They make a bit of statement as to who you are --- especially in Europe and Asia. Here in the States we're a little behind in that regard. German cars, but Japanese quartz watches. But, hey, that Japanese watch is at least as accurate as my Rolex. It's all good.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Analyst + Therapist = ...

Mein Auto: people crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS
So true I think you forgot Got a new toy or the look what I just bought threads.
Picture of your keys....
What's in your refrigerator......
Old 03-14-2006, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP 6-sp AW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman
Monterey-

Sweet JLC!
I really want a Reverso Moon.

Burrogs-

No offense taken, opinions are what makes life interesting.
I enjoy the "tool" & toughness value of my GMT-II.
Personally I can vouch to how it held up to a 70 mph motorcycle crash as I slid across the asphalt - perfect. Not sure I would want to do that with a Patek Phillipe Perpetual Calendar.
I am pretty rough on things and this takes it all in stride.
Status? Not really, any goof can go into a jewelry store and charge it.

I travel frequently and make phone calls around the world - for me the watch is a quick way to hop around three timezones. But too each his own. I have some vintage Hamiltons that I wear to church, my Rolex is actually my work watch. And I DO mean work, I maintain heavy equipment.

Actually, I like the GMT II the best of all the Oyster series becuase of the dual time (something I would actually use) Plus, I think the bezel looks the nicest (sport and fashion). Addd 200Meters below and you have a nice all around watch. I think this all started when just about everyone I know asked me why I didn't get a Rolex instead of my IWC. I got real tired, real quick hearing about how if I'm going to spend so much money, why not get a Rolex. Since I got my watch (roughly 3 years ago) I have seen 4 other IWC's out in public. I see more Rolexes than that every day. I wear my Mark XV every day, but am not too rough with it. It seems to have held up quite well actually. I am especially surprised with how nicely the bracelet has held up, only a few extremely minor scratches. I can't speak enough about it's comfort ether..pure heaven.
2004 330i ZHP 6-spd, Alpine White/Black Cube/Alcantara, Koni FSDs w/ Eibach Prokit, no CDV, M3 RTAB with Vorschlag limiters, ULO-OEM Clears, Lightwerkz TFX upgrade, Blackout Kidneys, OEM M3 Strut Brace, OEM Bluetooth retrofit, DIY Clutch Stop, Sirius, Dr. VANOS kit, iPod integration
Old 03-14-2006, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Rolex Explorer II - Black face.
Love it
Old 03-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Who the f--k wears a watch anymore? Last I read watch sales keep falling as everybody has a cell phone...no need for a watch. I guess it's good for peacocking. Considering I have no use for doing that with my bimmer, I equally have no use for that with a watch or tacky jewelry.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Resident Texassan

Mein Auto: Range Rover
Rolex Submariner...and a few others.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom
Who the f--k wears a watch anymore? Last I read watch sales keep falling as everybody has a cell phone...no need for a watch. I guess it's good for peacocking. Considering I have no use for doing that with my bimmer, I equally have no use for that with a watch or tacky jewelry.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:43 PM
TheGoodLife

Mein Auto: Ducati 749...'06 550i...
rolex presidential day date... white gold...
Old 03-14-2006, 07:00 PM
aka Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to AsianImage
Mein Auto: Excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP
The date magnifier looks a bit small on that Sea dweller .

hahahaa...no date magnifier or "cyclops" on the SD...thats the beauty if that watch. You must be thinking of the SUBMARINER....which DOES have the magnifier.

Most 'collectors' prefer the cleaner face of the SD over the Sub. The cyclops magnifer is ugly IMO.

IMG_4675
Old 03-14-2006, 07:01 PM
aka Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to AsianImage
Mein Auto: Excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey
Nothing beats a rolex submariner for comfort, quality and value. Sure they may be expensive but they really hold their resale value in the used market and the longer you keep it, the more valuable it will become since rolex raises their prices every 3 years or so. But to answer the original question, I wear my JLC dualmatic whenever I get into my X5
JLC for the win...nicest watch posted so far. SWEET!

IMG_4675
Old 03-14-2006, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 328/335 debate wages war
Quote:
Originally Posted by apar330i
I'm with you. I can think of a thousand other things to waste my $$$ on.
I can too. But when it's offered to you it's hard to say no. I actually had to think about wearing an expensive watch everyday at my age for about 2 weeks before accepting.

My parents said I earned it by graudating college, I hardly saw 5 years of partying as earning it. But whatever. I love it now that I have it.

But if it was my money, it would have been put toward something else.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
You think your watch is expensive? Check out this $150,000 watch from Porsche featured in this month's Popular Science. Even if you were worth millions, could you justify a watch worth a Z06 and a very well equipped M3 put together?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:45 PM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTex
You think your watch is expensive? Check out this $150,000 watch from Porsche featured in this month's Popular Science. Even if you were worth millions, could you justify a watch worth a Z06 and a very well equipped M3 put together?
Check out the slideshow with this article...
http://www.forbes.com/collecting/200..._1201feat.html
Old 03-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Stimulus Package

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
$150 grand? Poser material only.

http://www.orbita.at/skymoon.htm

http://www.finestwatches.com/iwc-11155.html

http://www.thepurists.com/brandjpg/ap/roconcept02/

2002 530i | Black/sand | Rondell Style 81s: 18x8.5 Front 18x10 Rear | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro-Kit | Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors | Axxis Deluxe+ Brake Pads | StopTech SS Brake Lines | 50w 6000k Xenon Lows/LED Fogs/Phillips Luxeon LED DRLs | Angel i Brights v3.0 | Solaris Invisibulbs | Shadowline Trim | ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler | 35% Madico Tint | Dynavin D99+ ///M3Evolution | Backup camera | Intake Muffler, Front Plate, Badge & Cup/Coinholder Delete | Klasse AIO+SG
Old 03-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Stimulus Package

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
... not that, mind you, I bother with such things.

On the left: The 50+-year-old Waltham that belonged to my maternal grandfather. It runs fine as long as I remember to wind it.

On the right: The 17-year-old gold Seiko my wife gave me when we were still dating. There's a cute inscription on the back, too.

I could get something much more expensive, but really, what would be the point?

As for who wears them anymore, well, watches are Old School. Whether that's good or bad depends on the person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elviswatches.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	70582  
2002 530i | Black/sand | Rondell Style 81s: 18x8.5 Front 18x10 Rear | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro-Kit | Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors | Axxis Deluxe+ Brake Pads | StopTech SS Brake Lines | 50w 6000k Xenon Lows/LED Fogs/Phillips Luxeon LED DRLs | Angel i Brights v3.0 | Solaris Invisibulbs | Shadowline Trim | ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler | 35% Madico Tint | Dynavin D99+ ///M3Evolution | Backup camera | Intake Muffler, Front Plate, Badge & Cup/Coinholder Delete | Klasse AIO+SG
Old 03-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Resident Texassan

Mein Auto: Range Rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianImage
hahahaa...no date magnifier or "cyclops" on the SD...thats the beauty if that watch. You must be thinking of the SUBMARINER....which DOES have the magnifier.

Most 'collectors' prefer the cleaner face of the SD over the Sub. The cyclops magnifer is ugly IMO.
Most collectors go for the Submariner...not the Submariner Date or Sea Dweller

Old 03-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akula57
Only kidding, but really curious as to what you guys wear or own. No offense. $20 watches keep great time and make that 330i and insurance more affordable.

But I love watches, too. Often, a man's only jewelry (no offence to the women on the board).

The Bimmer is great and overpriced. And fine timepieces are great and overpriced. My Bimmer timepiece is a stainless Daytona (white face, Rolex movement, solid links, 72 hour power reserve, excellent automatic movement, no battery). It's a chronograph and was first made popular by Paul Newman, Italian pilots and other afficonados. Supply of the stainless is limited to two or four per year per dealer. They cost more than the two-tone (i.e., part gold) Daytonas. Supply, demand, and taste.

If I want another chic magnet to go with the Bimmer, I wear my two-tone sub with blue face. It's the only watch I own that gets noticed by the general public ---- whether in NY, Vegas, or Paluckaville.

But, hey, a Casio, Omega, Tag, Monaco (I might want one of these) are all fine. Hey, they keep time as well as any gold watch. What do you wear?

Hey, your watch will outlast your car.

I know Rolex is looked down on by some. They like Patek, Lange, and look down on Rolex --- but my money's on Rolex due to resale and longevity. Not to say I don't like Patek, Lange, etc...

Anyone else have a different second vice? Collecting digital cameras, great audio equipment (in car or not), investment grade folding knives, matchbooks or something?
Watches aren't a man's only jewelery..

I wear no watch. Why would I? My phone has a clock. My cable box has a clock. My computer has a clock. My car has a clock. My microwave has a clock. My alarm clock..it is a clock.

People seem to care too much about time. I get sick of it - Just live! There's no need to be constantly looking at your wrist enough to ever need a watch (in my opinion). Set your wrists freeeee!

Last edited by McMeinerbury; 03-14-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:26 AM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Mein Auto: F30 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMeinerbury
Watches aren't a man's only jewelery..

I wear no watch. Why would I? My phone has a clock. My cable box has a clock. My computer has a clock. My car has a clock. My microwave has a clock. My alarm clock..it is a clock.

People seem to care too much about time. I get sick of it - Just live! There's no need to be constantly looking at your wrist enough to ever need a watch (in my opinion). Set your wrists freeeee!

I'll only wear a watch sometimes for going out to a nice place. It's not a ritzy watch either...Kenneth Cole
Old 03-15-2006, 06:28 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Yep, well... I spent $40 on my watch.. and its swell.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrogs
Rolex rant in progress...FYI

Ok, really not looking to start a fight here..but....THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY ROLEXES, its getting rediculous. I view them as the "Any idiot can recognize a rolex and think that I have class" watch. I do appreciate the movement and the history behind their timepieces, however, there are just so many of them and so many IMHO better options for the money. I understand buying a diving watch if you are a diver, (how many submariners are really put to use )I get buying a pilots watch if you are a pilot, etc. etc., but come on, they have become a commodity. The bubble magnifier has got to go as well, itjust looks tacky, and I'm pretty sure that about oh 40 years have come and gone since it was introduced and there haven't been a lot of changes made to any of their watches, especially the Oyster series. Can't they figure out a better way to display the date. I mean, its not like its significantly smaller than the numerals on the face of the watch. If you can read the time, you can read the date, that's all I'm saying.

The bracelet...WTF, can we come up with a comfortable brecelet on a watch here guys. The Oyster bracelet is blah, Jubilee reaks of 1970. And don't get me started on how cheap they ALL look and feel. Two tone, are you f'ing kidding me. Maybe that's the draw, I dunno. Most of the knock offs have what appear to be just as nice a bracelet as the real things. Maybe that's why they are so easy to replicate?

It just seems like when you buy a rolex, you are essintially buying into the "club" of fellow Rollie owners (many of whom are watch afficionados, most of whom couldn't tell the diff between a real one vs a fake aside from the "sweeping hand comment" (BTW if I hear another f'ing you can tell its real by the movement of the hand comment from another Rolex owner I'm gonna puke). And its a steep entry price for such an GIGANTIC membership. I think I read somewhere that Rolex produces upwards of 400,000 timepieces a year. Super exclusive, let me tell you.

Ok, as for the Daytona owners, nice watch, I really like that one you get a hall pass.

Again, I'm not trying to start a fight, but does anyone feel even remotely the same way as me on this one?

FYI, I wear an IWC Mark XV (and yes I am a hypocrite since technically, it is a Pilots watch, and I am not a pilot)

$.02
Actually, Rolex has produced as high as 800,000 plus watches in a year (according to numbers published by the Swiss COSC testing center).

Your criticisms are understandable...the Oyster bracelet is a classic deign...improved greatly in recent years with solid end links, and with some models (like the Daytona or Yacht-Master), solid center links. Even the Daytona clasp is much improved over the traditional stamped metal flip lock clasp. And yes, the number of people who buy them for the name certain outweighs those who have an apprecition for Rolex's horological tradition. Still, I love all my Rolex watches!

Now, you do know your IWC uses an outsourced ETA movement, right?
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 03-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom

Old 03-15-2006, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 330
I always get in on these things late....

Like the original poster in this thread, I have a white dial Daytona:

It sounds like we also have this 16613 Submariner in common:

I also enjoy my stainless steel/Platinum Yacht-Master:

And the alway classic, every-man-should-have-one (according to ESQUIRE Magazine) Sea-Dweller:

I have a few others, but mostly rotate these four throughout the week.
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD