Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: INFINITY
740 i RELIABILITY AND MAINTANCE ISSUES

I AM LOOKING AT PURCHASING A 2001 740i WITH 72000 MILES FOR $22000.
THE CAR APPEARS TO BE IN EXCELLENT SHAPE BUT WONDERED ABOUT WHAT TYPE OF THINGS GO WRONG WITH THIS CAR WITH THESE MILES OR MORE? AFTER I TEST DROVE THE CAR AND WAS VERY IMPRESSED, I LEARNED THE DEALER HAD JUST REPLACED A MANIFOLD GASKET FOR $1000+ AND SAID THESE GO BAD ON THIS PARTICULAR ENGINE AROUND THIS MILEAGE. WHEN I DROVE THE CAR THE SALESMAN AND I NOTICED NO COOL AIR COMING FROM THE AIR CO. THE DEALER WILL GIVE A 12 MONTH 12000 MILE "POWER TRAIN WARRANTY, BUT SAID ANYTHING ELSE IS OUT OF MY POCKET. I JUST REPLACED A STARTER IN MY 1994 INFINITY Q45 FOR $700 AND HAVE HEARD BMW REPLACEMENT COSTS ARE EVEN MORE THAN INFINITY'S.

IS THIS A GOOD INVESTMENT OR AM I IN FOR MORE HIGH DOLLAR REPLACEMENT COSTS WITH THIS CAR WITH THIS KIND OF MILEAGE. 72000 MILES TO ME IS JUST BREAKING IN THE CAR AND I REALLY LIKE THE LOOK OF THE CAR AND THE WAY IT DRIVES...NOT SURE ABOUT WINTER, THOUGH...MY Q ISN'T GOOD IN THE SNOW.

THANKS TO ALL!!
Ads by Google
Old 03-22-2006, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 740il
These cars break alot. Thats about the easiest way to put it. They are very rewarding to drive, and are wonderful high performance machines and as every high performance machine does, they break. There are lots of lists on parts that break often some of them can be found on www.e38.org. Alot of these parts are outside the drivetrain, and can cause major headaches. My current headaches are something broken in the front suspension, two broken cupholders, lots of LED's out on my MID and Instrument cluster, a leak in the roof somewhere, a broken radio, and an emergency brake pedal that keeps showing engaged even when its not. My car has 255,000 miles on it, but the only reason I bought it was because I have a meticulous history record of the car in a shop were I am friends with the mechanics. Everything practicly has been replaced on this car, sometimes two or three times. I have owned the car for a year and put 10,000 miles on it. This cost me a radiator and a starter and the broken suspension which I have not fixed yet.

To sum it up, If you want a toyota, buy a toyota, if you want a bmw your gonna have to buy it and expect to keep it up.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li Euro Delivery
Texas, he is getting a car with 77K miles, there is no comparison with your car.
HOWEVER, I had a 2001 750il and had a lot of small problems, radiator, window motor, window seals, seat motor, not $10,000 in problems but definitely $1500-$3000 can be expected. I know a lot of people with navigation problems.
One more determining factor shoulbe the production date, if it was made after Sep 2000 it will nav NAV marck III that can have a split screen if you upgrade the software, and it is voice activated with a digital phone.
GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY !!!!! they sell really good warranties with zero deductable, Warrantec is a great company to buy one from
Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: INFINITY
Thumbs up Thanks to everyone!!

I appreciate all of your input. It's been awhile since I got on this site so I apologize for the delay in thanking you for your responses! Craig.