Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 03-11-2006, 07:02 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 03 m3, waiting on m235i
SMG program question

Can the dealer program SMG so when you start the car you can always be in a specific mode, for example Auto, lowest program setting

Ads by Google
Old 03-11-2006, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 03 E46 M3 TiAg SMG II
Quote:
Originally Posted by damills
Can the dealer program SMG so when you start the car you can always be in a specific mode, for example Auto, lowest program setting
Don't think so - you have to be in Neutral (o) to start. SMG remembers your DL settings for S/A anyway
Old 03-11-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozm3smg
Don't think so - you have to be in Neutral (o) to start. SMG remembers your DL settings for S/A anyway
Ok, Im dumb, what is DL settings and S/A
Old 03-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Noooooo you are not dumb. Pretty soon we will all be using the first letter of the word to save time in typing. This will look like : N y a n d p s w w a b u t f l o t w t s t i t. Easy huh? Beside when you use "code" you exclude the uninitiated from the inner circle. And watch out for Pincone, she will chastise you for not using search first.

DL is Drive Logic and S/A is Sequential/Automated (6 levels of shifting speed for Sequential, 5 levels of shifting speed for Automated) using the Paddles on the steering wheel or the shift lever on the console for Sequential.

Last edited by English Teacher; 03-11-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Teacher
Noooooo you are not dumb. Pretty soon we will all be using the first letter of the word to save time in typing. This will look like : N y a n d p s w w a b u t f l o t w t s t i t. Easy huh? Beside when you use "code" you exclude the uninitiated from the inner circle. And watch out for Pincone, she will chastise you for not using search first.

DL is Drive Logic and S/A is Sequential/Automated (6 levels of shifting speed for Sequential, 5 levels of shifting speed for Automated) using the Paddles on the steering wheel or the shift lever on the console for Sequential.
Ok, now I see, I would like my card to default to Automated at the lowest level of shifting. So what I am asking is not possible, correct?

Thanks for the explanation
Old 03-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Ok, now I see, I would like my card to default to Automated at the lowest level of shifting. So what I am asking is not possible, correct?

Thanks for the explanation
I Don't know what card you are talking about but I'd just call BMW and ask them.

I have not received my 06 M3 yet but when I do I'll ask. When I test drove an M3 last year I can't recall what shift speed it defaulted to. It did seem slow in shifting speed in A mode. Proof read, proof read, proof read.

Last edited by English Teacher; 03-12-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 M3 Coupe SMG
Quote:
I Don't know what card you are talking about but I'd just call BMW and ask them.

I have not received my 06 M3 yet but when I do I'll ask. When I test drove an M3 last year I can't recall what shift speed it defaulted to. It did seem slow in shifting speed in A mode. Proof read, proof read, proof read.
The auto mode is now called D. I think the reason it shifted slow was because you were driving leasurly. I senses your driving style and shifts accordingly. I noticd the same thing when driving slowly. I noticed the same thing. Amazing system.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe
SMG always defaults to Sequential mode on startup but if you just push the lever hard to the right, it will bypass sequential and end up in automated mode. As for the level....the car will always remember the last sequential level (S1 - S5) and will remember the last automated level ONLY if the last was A3, A4 or A5. If you turned off the car when it was in A1 or A2, the default is A3. Confusing, yes. In mid 2002, BMW changed the default automated levels to A3 minimum as stated above. It had something to do with the transmission being cold in the morning and so BMW wanted to keep the revs up so it defaulted to A3.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Oregon
SMG always defaults to Sequential mode on startup but if you just push the lever hard to the right, it will bypass sequential and end up in automated mode. As for the level....the car will always remember the last sequential level (S1 - S5) and will remember the last automated level ONLY if the last was A3, A4 or A5. If you turned off the car when it was in A1 or A2, the default is A3. Confusing, yes. In mid 2002, BMW changed the default automated levels to A3 minimum as stated above. It had something to do with the transmission being cold in the morning and so BMW wanted to keep the revs up so it defaulted to A3.
It is not A, it is called D now. Why keep the revs up for a cold transmission ? Doesn't make sense to me, I was always taught to take it easy on a cold engine/trans.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe
I think they did it because when it's cold the shifter is really stiff and it's tough on the hydraulics. With increased revs (3000 rpm shifts), the transmission fluid heats up a bit faster and so will shift better. In really cold weather, if you choose D1 which starts in 2nd gear...the transmission will still start in 1st until it warms up, and it will still shift about 3000 rpms in D1 try it sometime if you have temperatures below 30 degrees).

BMW designed it so the hydraulics didn't break something when it forced a shift when the engine and transmission is cold. Recall regular stickshifts when cold shifting back into first gear...you really have to use some pressure to make the shift from 2nd to 1st.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: Jet Black M3 ZCP
Quote:

I didn't know Pinecone was a girl. Hi Pinecone
Old 03-21-2006, 02:35 PM

I also noticed that when you park the car in first gear, you can't switch it to neutral unless you start the car. Is this normal ? Kind of a pain when I need to move it in my garage. Guess I will have to park it in neutral from now on and use the parking brake. Don't like that. Always afraid I don't use the parkign brake enough and the car slowly runs into my garage door. Then when I open the garage dor without noticing this has happened.....ouch !
Old 03-22-2006, 05:12 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori
I didn't know Pinecone was a girl. Hi Pinecone
That will be news to my wife.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 03-22-2006, 05:13 PM
M Mad

Put the key in, turn two clicks, PUSH ON BRAKE PEDAL, shift into neutral. Just like you do to start it.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 03-22-2006, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: Jet Black M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
That will be news to my wife.
I didn't think you were but post #11 "And watch out for Pincone, she will chastise you for not using search first. " states otherwise.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
I didn't think you were but post #11 "And watch out for Pincone, she will chastise you for not using search first. " states otherwise.
All this tells you is the quality of info available from English Teacher!

rruiter, not sure what you are talking about here, you can not start an SMG car in any other gear than O, or on the newer ones N.
it will beep at you if you try to park it in O, and will not let you do anything at start unless you move the shifter into O before you turn the key.

as for starting in a specific mode, mine always starts in the last mode I was in when I drove the car... in my case either S4 or S5!

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Put the key in, turn two clicks, PUSH ON BRAKE PEDAL, shift into neutral. Just like you do to start it.
ah, I probably didn't push the brake pedal while trying this. makes sense. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:01 AM
M Mad

Quote:
Oh well.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 04-09-2006, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 320 CI
Quote:

Hi Friends,

Does anybody have any idea or knowledge of the next generation SMG, BMW is developing..? could it be a kind of couble-clutch system and will it first be implemented in the new M3..? thanks fo your thoughts,

Cheers,

Thomas
Old 04-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bebop
as for starting in a specific mode, mine always starts in the last mode I was in when I drove the car... in my case either S4 or S5!
As with mine. Don't all SMG II M3s work that way?

I don't understand wanting to use D mode anyway? It's really pretty worthless. I think I've driven a total of 1 mile in D (out of 11K+). BMW should have omitted it altogether. Even with S you don't have to downshift. Can they make it any easier?