Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330Cic
BMW X5 4.4i vs. Volvo XC90 V8

So... why should I choose the X5 4.4i over the XC90 V8? Non-biased feedback if you can please.

“Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.” – Alexander Hamilton.
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2006, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.8is
Where shall I begin...
Old 03-16-2006, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5-50i Ms/Mp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-1
So... why should I choose the X5 4.4i over the XC90 V8? Non-biased feedback if you can please.

I just took delivery on an 06' 4.4i. I considered the Toureg, the Cayenne S, Range Rover Sport Supercharged and the XC90 V8.

My $0.02

In Favor of the X5 (no particular order):
  • Panoramic Sunroof
  • 100% Maintenance for 4 Years - Including brake pads, wiper blades, etc...
  • Much better handling - drives like a 545 to about 80% of limit
  • Adaptive Headlights - these are great
  • Lower depreciation - although the new model may impact this
  • Adjustable suspension (option)
  • Standard auto leveling rear suspension - if you tow or haul a lot this is a great feature
  • Subsidized APR - if you're leasing, the MFactor is about .00125 vs .003xx for Volvo
  • Heated steering wheel - if you live north, this is awesome.
  • Bluetooth integrated phone support standard - limited to certain phone models
  • SAT radio option (honestly a screw on a $55k base priced vehicle)
  • Build quality - it shares no parts with Ford.
  • Just as safe as the much loved Volvo's
  • Heated rear seat option
  • Standard park distance front & rear
  • Motorized rear seat backs
  • Built in USA - if that matters to you.
  • Motorized fold-away mirrors

In Favor of XC90:
  • Likely better off road - tires more suited
  • Slightly better ground clearance
  • Third row seating - but the 2nd row people will hate you
  • More crunchy - sucks as much gas as the X, but people won't sneer
  • Minutely faster than the X - didn't feel like it to me, but that's the facts.
  • Has a CD player in the dash - the X has a cassette player
  • Slightly less expensive
  • More cargo room
  • More recent look

I ended up asking myself if I really needed to go off road? My previous 'truck' was a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - completely loaded with every off-road gadget, skid plates, tow hooks, etc.. I went off road one time - because I could, not because I needed to I tow a lot of toys year round - the X5 is supposed to be a great tow vehicle. The XC90 V8 will tow fine too, just doesn't have self-leveling rear suspension.

The bottom line from my perspective:

The XC90 handles more like a truck but has good std. features (except no Bluetooth phone), and good performance but based on my inspection of the inside of the truck, suspect build quality and a poor record of depreciation.

If you really like to 'drive' your SUV, the X5 would be your better choice - it drives like a sport sedan (I have the sport package), is built like a vault, and has a few safety features that even Volvo doesn't offer (adaptive lights, etc..) That said, BMW charges an arm and leg for things like SAT radio and CD Changer.

Side note: We just had two big snow storms this week in Minneapolis and I have been very pleasantly surprised at how well the X does with it's electronically controlled 4wd system on summer-oriented tires.

I took home the X5 and couldn't be happier after 500 luxurious miles.

Good luck on your choice

Chris

Last edited by HIRISC; 03-16-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:

See a former XC90 owners perspective - post #9 here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133451

Chris
Old 03-17-2006, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: X6 3.5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIRISC
I just took delivery on an 06' 4.4i. I considered the Toureg, the Cayenne S, Range Rover Sport Supercharged and the XC90 V8.

My $0.02

[LIST][*]Panoramic Sunroof[*]100% Maintenance for 4 Years - Including brake pads, wiper blades, etc...

Good luck on your choice

Chris
Thats the best answer i have read about X5 vs XC 90!
Old 03-17-2006, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330Cic
Quote:

My $0.02

• Panoramic Sunroof
  • Standard auto leveling rear suspension - if you tow or haul a lot this is a great feature
  • Subsidized APR - if you're leasing, the MFactor is about .00125 vs .003xx for Volvo

In Favor of XC90:
  • More cargo room
  • More recent look

I ended up asking myself if I really needed to go off road? My previous 'truck' was a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - completely loaded with every off-road gadget, skid plates, tow hooks, etc.. I went off road one time - because I could, not because I needed to I tow a lot of toys year round - the X5 is supposed to be a great tow vehicle. The XC90 V8 will tow fine too, just doesn't have self-leveling rear suspension.

The XC90 handles more like a truck but has good std. features (except no Bluetooth phone), and good performance but based on my inspection of the inside of the truck, suspect build quality and a poor record of depreciation.

If you really like to 'drive' your SUV, the X5 would be your better choice - it drives like a sport sedan (I have the sport package), is built like a vault, and has a few safety features that even Volvo doesn't offer (adaptive lights, etc..) That said, BMW charges an arm and leg for things like SAT radio and CD Changer.

Side note: We just had two big snow storms this week in Minneapolis and I have been very pleasantly surprised at how well the X does with it's electronically controlled 4wd system on summer-oriented tires.

Good luck on your choice

Chris
Great response! This is exactly the feedback I am looking for.

I am getting an early start on my search for a vehicle, but we test drove the X5 a month ago and absolutely loved it. I took it easy then the wife drove it and punched it a few times... she really liked it. Then we saw the XC90 (and the X5) at the Mpls auto show (I'm in Mpls as well) and really liked it -- however we have not driven it yet. I think my wife now likes the XC90 better even though she has never driven one. We will probably test one in a few weeks.

I currently drive an Expedition and greatly appreciated the vehicle the past week or so with all the snow. We won't be ready to move on anything until next winter / spring and I don't particularly like the pictures I have seen so far of the new X5 - too much like the X3, which I don't like. When we drove the X5 it had almost as much room for the 2nd row passengers as my Expedition, whereas the XC90 seemed a bit cramped due to the 3rd row seats. Give and take I guess. Also, the X5 had heated rear seats and heated steering wheel -- huge positive.

Here's a few items you may have missed from the XC90 list:
  • DVD player and screens on back side of headrests - optional.
  • Navigation screen is installed inside the dash and is not visible unless you need to use it -- cool optional feature.
  • European Delivery is possible -- We would love to use a discount to see Europe. This is definately not a deal breaker, just a plus.

What color X5 did you get? Maybe we test drove yours...

“Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.” – Alexander Hamilton.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Don't know if this is an isolated case, but my sister in law just got her XC90 back from the dealer after 3 weeks. The replaced all drive shafts, and the transaxle. Also replaced power steering pump, and a few wheel bearings. Her original complaint was drive train whine. She has always complained that parts are hard to get, which accounts for much of the 3 week service visit.
2002 X5 (retired)
1999 Z3 (retired)
1990 535i (retired)
1986 528e (retired)
1978 733i (retired)
1977 320i (retired)
1974 2002tii (in storage)
1972 Bavaria (retired)
1970 2002 (retired)
Old 03-17-2006, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 S7
The X-C 90 Volvo engine is a small transverse aluminum V8 from the early 90's Tarsus SHO with some redesign. I also think the all wheel drive system operate somewhat differently. Does not the BMW favor the rear wheel when dry and the Volvo the front?

For what it is worth I currently have a Volvo V70R which is an AWD station wagon with a high boost turbo engine. I am holding out for the 2007 X5. You will at least be able to look at one by the time you are ready to buy. The V8 then will be at 360 HP if I am correct from the posts. The EDP program with Volvo is nice but you have to live with the car long after the trip is over. I have not had a bad experience with the Volvo at all and it is a save and reasonably fun car to drive with the mods I have done. I just see the BMW as the next logical step. Better handling, braking and overall performance and it does hold up better with depreciation.

The GPS replacing the CD is a mess but I think they will resolve that. The pop up GPS in the Volvo is cool but it is also another thing to break. The service visits are not practically cheap either so 4 years covered BMW service is nice.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Great response! This is exactly the feedback I am looking for.

Here's a few items you may have missed from the XC90 list:
  • DVD player and screens on back side of headrests - optional.
  • Navigation screen is installed inside the dash and is not visible unless you need to use it -- cool optional feature.
  • European Delivery is possible -- We would love to use a discount to see Europe. This is definately not a deal breaker, just a plus.

What color X5 did you get? Maybe we test drove yours...

Hi JD,

Silver/Black with dark wood. Bought at Motorwerks in Bloomington from Steve Rydberg (good guy). Mine was ordered special, so no test drives

I drove the 4.8is they have (silver too) - nice, but a bit hard edged for a daily driver and I really don't need the extra oomph (I have a Vette for that ).

UR right about the DVD in the back - optional on the 4.8, but strangely not an option on the 4.4i - I don't have kids and won't have any old enough to know what's going on in the back seat by the time I turn her back in - 3 yrs.

I think the XC90 is a good truck, but IMO it's worlds apart from a 'drivers' vehicle than an X5.

Keep us in the loop and good luck with your choice.

Chris

ps.. If you're in MSP, the heated steering wheel is the best feature I've ever had in any vehicle - no BS.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:56 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Real World XC90 Experience

We are just finishing up a 3 year lease in a 2004 XC90 2.5T (75,000 miles). Comments based on our experience:

Pros:

Seats are supremely comfortable for long trips.
Thermonuclear heated seats are much appreciated in Boston winters.
Premium stereo rocks, even without the sub woofers (we have the 7 passenger).
Ride, visibility and mileage are all excellent.
2nd row seat room is not bad (the seats slide front and back, at least on our 2004)
Mediocre snow traction - 4 wheel snows are a must (then it is fine).
Cavernous rear space. We are constantly amazed at how much stuff we can tote!
Self-adjusting rear suspension works great (7 passenger version).
Xenons are fine.
Good cupholders. (When your other car is a 540i, you notice!)
Solid structure, tons of safety features.
Drives much "smaller" than it is.

Cons:

Understeer.
They claim the transmission can be manually shilfted like Steptronic. They lie.
Reliability is LOUSY, on a par with domestics. Have been through 5 wheel bearings and numerous bushings, plus assorted other headaches, with mostly highway driving.
Understeer.
Unlike our 2004, the new ones do NOT include free maintenance.
True to Volvo's paradigm of boxy and boring.
I would never consider owning this car out of warranty - when the lease is up, it is history!
Did I mention understeer?
Old 04-12-2006, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 67 Chevelle SS
Consumer reports have the XC 90 well behind the X5. The only SUV's in the higher price range that are rated better than the 3.0 X5 are two Lexus models.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E61
all True But

Quote:

My $0.02

• Panoramic Sunroof

In Favor of XC90:
  • More cargo room
  • More recent look

Good luck on your choice

Chris
All of this is true however the real reason is that the BMW X5 drives and handles better than anyother SUV.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:56 PM

X5 Sirius (Stereo) Update

Still very glad I choose the X5 over the Volvo - however, I've to share a beef:

The nearly $1000 Sirius sound quality is absurd - quite a bit below the audio quality of FM radio in the X as well as the XM in my Corvette via FM MODULATION. I have no idea why it's so bad, but compared to the XM sat. radio in our Acura TL, it's not even close.

Thankfully, the CD sound quality is good - although I spend quite a bit of time running to the back of the vehicle to change the modest 6 disc changer.

Not to rant, but in a $60K+ vehicle, the integration of Sat, the omission of CD changer 'in-dash' and the general 'OK' sound quality of my upgraded BMW system leave me fairly annoyed ~ it should be much, much, much better.

(Yes, I know they may resolve this for 2007, but I bought a 2006 )

Chris
Old 04-15-2006, 09:10 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
UR right about the DVD in the back - optional on the 4.8, but strangely not an option on the 4.4i - I don't have kids and won't have any old enough to know what's going on in the back seat by the time I turn her back in - 3 yrs.
That's news to me..
As far as I know, the rear DVD is an Accessory for EVERY X5 but NOT available on ANY X5 as a factory option...
Old 04-17-2006, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E61
2006 old but true

Quote:
Still very glad I choose the X5 over the Volvo - however, I've to share a beef:

The nearly $1000 Sirius sound quality is absurd - quite a bit below the audio quality of FM radio in the X as well as the XM in my Corvette via FM MODULATION. I have no idea why it's so bad, but compared to the XM sat. radio in our Acura TL, it's not even close.

Thankfully, the CD sound quality is good - although I spend quite a bit of time running to the back of the vehicle to change the modest 6 disc changer.

Not to rant, but in a $60K+ vehicle, the integration of Sat, the omission of CD changer 'in-dash' and the general 'OK' sound quality of my upgraded BMW system leave me fairly annoyed ~ it should be much, much, much better.

(Yes, I know they may resolve this for 2007, but I bought a 2006 )

Chris
The lease price and discount on the 2006 should make up for the sound
Old 04-22-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x54.4blue
The lease price and discount on the 2006 should make up for the sound

I guess the 'discount' makes up for some of this, but in any vehicle over $50K - with our without discounts, the stereo sytem/electronics package could be better thought-out.

My $.02

Chris
Old 04-22-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan
That's news to me..
As far as I know, the rear DVD is an Accessory for EVERY X5 but NOT available on ANY X5 as a factory option...
I either

Your family doesn't like black, do they?

Nice stable of BMW's.

Chris