Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 10-12-2002, 11:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
2003 330i Owner Comments - Long Like a Book!

1. First and foremost, credit should go to the best BMW website on the Internet - BIMMERFEST.com. With the help of this website info and all of the fellow BMW owner members, it made my purchasing decision and process so much easier. I am in love with this website and consider myself another member of this cult (as discussed in another thread).

2. I took delivery of my baby on 10/1/02 and waited a little over a month for the car to come in. During this tough time of waiting, I found comfort and friendship in the "9/6/02" build thread, where people in my same situation with orders for 2003 were updating their delivery status codes and sharing their excitement of their cars on order. I often wonder if every year around this same time a huge thread like this is started for all those new model year orders?

3. I got the Titanium Silver Exterior. OK, they are a lot of Silver 3 series out there, but Silver is still a classic color and for some reason I really like the black contrasting molding all around the car, which makes it sportier. Silver is of course easy to clean.

4. I also got the Gray Leather Interior. I was thinking black, since it is a great contrasting color to the Silver exterior, however in the summers the black gets scorching hot. The Gray interior also makes the inside look bigger IMO. The quality of the leather is good and the familiar small of a new BMW leather interior is conforting. The smell that you can never get rid of and just lingers. By the way the first batch of 2003s did not come with the center seat head rest for the rear passenger. Also I was worried about the car being too small, it is a small car, but I found that I had a decent amount of room in the front and rear seats and I am 5'10".

5. Sports Package - This is a must. I love everything about the sports package. It just makes the car look sportier and more agressive and distinguishes it from all the other non-sport package 3 series out there. I really like the rims and the staggered sizes of the tires. Those huge tires seem to burst outward from the fenders and they are also lowered to make an even more agressive stance. Even the sports seats in this package are so good and snug that you feel like you are really one with the car. Even with this sports package supension the ride is still smooth and doesn't suffet at all IMO.

6. Premium Package: It's good to make the interior look more luxurious with the wood trim, etc... I did not get the Cold Package, which I didn't think I needed.

7. NAV / IN DASH CD - I like it. I like all the info displayed through a screen, just like a computer. The NAV is OK and does it's job well, the reason I say this, is because I am spoiled by the Lexus Touch Screen NAV, which is more sophisticated and seems to be way ahead of it's time or BMW's is outdated to what is out there already. By the way as you know the DVD Disc is still on backorder - Delivery sometime in NOVEMBER. Use the CD for now.

8. Harmon Kardon Audio - Sounds great! Bass sometimes seems distorted and not clean, so have to reduce the bass levels at times. Overall a good system. Again the Mark Levinson Audio in the Lexus is the best you can obtain via a factory installed option.

9. Bi-Xenon Lights - Great view at night. I like those bright lights that blind other drivers!

10. STEPTRONIC Transmission - Don't discount the Automatic Version. It's still very quick and so so smooth.

11. New MY2003 - 4 Year / 50,000 Miles Maintenance - I am sure BMW absorbs this cost somewhere in their pricing, since nothing is for free these days. But it's still nice to know that your regular maintenance is taking care of and you are covered for this long amount of time just for maintenance.

12. FUN FACTOR - I sometimes just turn off the radio when driving to just hear the growling of this beautiful engine. It's so smooth that I am intoxicated by just hearing it. When experts keep writing that this is a true and the best sports sedan in the market, I truly know what they mean now. The power, the steering, the handling, even the looks are all you ever wanted and more in this class of car.

Also I am a guy that rarely MODS my cars (fully loaded is the way to go). So BMW gives it to me in FACTORY OPTIONS (epecially with the sports package) to give customers like me complete satisfaction, especially when expecting it all when paying this much.

You really should get this sedan ASAP if you are considering it for your next car purchase. I don't see anything else in the market that can give you all that you want in a sports sedan, that the 3 series can offer (fun, excitement, performance) and I'm a guy that always bought Japanese cars in the past.

I am a believer! Now let's just make sure the reliablity holds up as time goes on (KNOCK ON WOOD!).

Advertisement
Old 10-12-2002, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
That's a great post. You are clearly very excited about your new baby. Exactly the way it should be. But I do have a suggestion for you related to this statement:

Quote:
You really should get this sedan ASAP if you are considering it for your next car purchase. I don't see anything else in the market that can give you all that you want in a sports sedan, that the 3 series can offer (fun, excitement, performance) and I'm a guy that always bought Japanese cars in the past.
I'd like to see someone post this over at the competitor's boards. That would be funny!

Seriously, though, glad you are enjoying your new baby. Don't forget about the break-in period!
Old 10-12-2002, 11:17 PM

Patrick330i,

Thanks again for the support. As you can see I am very excited as I am sure you were too when you baby first arrived.

When you dream of things, plan to obtain them and expectations are completely met, life is good, very good.

What is the recommended procedure for breaking the car in? Any link to this info? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2002, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Quote:
Originally posted by bmwguynj
Patrick330i,

Thanks again for the support. As you can see I am very excited as I am sure you were too when you baby first arrived.

When you dream of things, plan to obtain them and expectations are completely met, life is good, very good.

What is the recommended procedure for breaking the car in? Any link to this info? Thanks!
Check the faq's, I think it is there.

Basically, vary your speed, limit revs to 4500, don't go over 100mph. I think that is pretty close. Generally recommended not to get on the highway and put it on cruise control for a long trip to break in, although a friend of mine picked up his car in NY and drove straight to Chicago to see family. 3 years and 55,000 miles later, his car runs like the first day he got it. Have fun, that new car of yours is AWESOME!
Old 10-13-2002, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2006 e90 / 330i (S/P)
Thumbs up

bmwguynj!

Excellent post! I picked up my Alpine White 330i, (Sports, Prem., Natural Brown, NAV, Heated Seats), this past Friday and can't believe the differences in handling and power between my MY2k 323i which I said goodby to the same day. My heart began to flutter the first time I tested its acceleration.

I also ordered the Navagation system but, as my only prior experience is with a Garmin Colormap Street Pilot, I am in awe with the technology. I am only beginning to figure it out. (Any FAQs posted that you know of?)

Also didn't order the CWP, had pass thru seats on my 323i and only used it once (and found that the rear seats were less 'solid' that the non pass thrus) and I heard horror stories about the self cleaning headlights. No control and the entire car getting a bath.

Good luck with you new baby, I will be watching for your posts to see how you are doing.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:11 AM
round -n- shiney

Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
Re: 2003 330i Owner Comments - Long Like a Book!

Quote:

Again the Mark Levinson Audio in the Lexus is the best you can obtain via a factory installed option.
No it's not Go listen to Logic7 in the 7 series

Otherwise, congrats on your new car! It's awesome
You know what you have to do now, right? PICS!
Old 10-13-2002, 06:14 AM
round -n- shiney

Quote:
Originally posted by iiotoko
I heard horror stories about the self cleaning headlights. No control and the entire car getting a bath.
Yeah, but if you turn your headlights off then headlight-washers do not operate!
So if anyone sees a bimmer turn off its headlights, clean the windshield and turn lights back on - you know why
Old 10-13-2002, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick330i

Check the faq's, I think it is there.

Basically, vary your speed, limit revs to 4500, don't go over 100mph. I think that is pretty close. Generally recommended not to get on the highway and put it on cruise control for a long trip to break in, although a friend of mine picked up his car in NY and drove straight to Chicago to see family. 3 years and 55,000 miles later, his car runs like the first day he got it. Have fun, that new car of yours is AWESOME!
Patrick330i,

Found it and thanks for the heads up and reminder. I never drive over 100mph, but maybe this car will make me do it!
Old 10-13-2002, 07:25 AM

Quote:
bmwguynj!

Excellent post! I picked up my Alpine White 330i, (Sports, Prem., Natural Brown, NAV, Heated Seats), this past Friday and can't believe the differences in handling and power between my MY2k 323i which I said goodby to the same day. My heart began to flutter the first time I tested its acceleration.

Hey there iiotoko, congrats to you too on your new purchase! I know you are feeling the same way as I am about your new baby. You are right, your heart just beats a little faster when you feel that kick in acceleration.

As for the NAV, I'm just starting to find out about all of the functions and it's fun when you realize what it can do. Pretty soon you will be thinking about your NAV 24 hours a day.

CWP - you and I think alike on this one. Extra money that is not needed.

Please keep us updated on your car too (anytime you want to just talk about it) and post photos!
Old 10-13-2002, 07:29 AM

Re: Re: 2003 330i Owner Comments - Long Like a Book!

Quote:
Originally posted by rost12

Thanks again for the congrats. I'll post pics soon. I haven't had time yet, since having too much fun driving this car all over the place!

You maybe right, since although the Mark Levinson Audio System is very good, there is always something out there that is better. If the Logic7 is as good as you say it is, there is no more need for home audio, just bring the 7 series into your living room and hang out in your car to listen to your tunes!
Old 10-13-2002, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
bmwguynj-- Congrats on the car. Glad you finally got it. Mine is still inbound on the ship (Terrier).. hopefully will dock today!!
Old 10-13-2002, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Flanary
bmwguynj-- Congrats on the car. Glad you finally got it. Mine is still inbound on the ship (Terrier).. hopefully will dock today!!
Congrats to you too and I know how you are feeling now. The car finally coming state side and almost within your grasp! Does this mean you will take delivery by sometime this week? Tell us all about it when you do get it!

This car is like a new addition to the family!

Old 10-13-2002, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Quote:
Does this mean you will take delivery by sometime this week?
Yep... hope to have the car by Friday. Little worried about the Monday holiday setting me back though. Will let you folks know (with pictures).
Old 10-13-2002, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
Quote:

Patrick330i,

Found it and thanks for the heads up and reminder. I never drive over 100mph, but maybe this car will make me do it!
You'll have trouble keeping it under 80 Congrats.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 330/540/318is/MB190SL
Great color combo...enjoy!
Old 10-13-2002, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by johnlew
Great color combo...enjoy!
Thanks!

Ahh Silver family over there too? Big Silver fan here, now if I could only get my house in silver too I WOULD!

Great family of cars over there John.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ObD

You'll have trouble keeping it under 80 Congrats.
I see you are speaking from experience and you are absolutely right. Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2002, 10:22 AM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 550ix, GL450, 991S, R8
Hey that was a great post and one we rarely see lately. I remember when the first batch of 330's came out a couple of years ago and we all posted our impressions.

Your post is going to inspire a lot of people who are on the bench 'thinking' about getting one.

There is no doubt the Steptronic is THE BEST automatic transmission around. You'll see when you break your car in how the transmission really picks up on your driving habits. Mine is SO AGGRESSIVE it is incredible. I will miss it but will always be here as a supporter for when the manual guys get out of hand

Congrats again and mark my words "It only gets better" !!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Gee, thanks! Now my 3.5 month wait for my 330i is going to be even harder. We ordered a Tourmaline Violet/Black Leather 330i with PP, SP, CWP, BX and Step. We'll be taking delivery at the PC on Feb 3. The order has been placed with the dealership, and a deposit left, but the order probably won't be submitted to BMW until late this month when the Dec build slots become available. (We're coordinating delivery while on vacation down south.)

I've been contemplating adding the Nav to the order, but not sure if the $1800 is worth it. I've rarely ever had problems finding my way, and the Nav would be more a toy that a tool.

Enjoy your car, and I'll be holding my breath until I take delivery of my first BMW.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan F

There is no doubt the Steptronic is THE BEST automatic transmission around. You'll see when you break your car in how the transmission really picks up on your driving habits. Mine is SO AGGRESSIVE it is incredible. I will miss it but will always be here as a supporter for when the manual guys get out of hand

Congrats again and mark my words "It only gets better" !!!!
Oh mannnnnn, if it only gets better after you break it in, then I am looking forward to it even more!
Old 10-13-2002, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OBS3SSION
Gee, thanks! Now my 3.5 month wait for my 330i is going to be even harder. We ordered a Tourmaline Violet/Black Leather 330i with PP, SP, CWP, BX and Step. We'll be taking delivery at the PC on Feb 3. The order has been placed with the dealership, and a deposit left, but the order probably won't be submitted to BMW until late this month when the Dec build slots become available. (We're coordinating delivery while on vacation down south.)

I've been contemplating adding the Nav to the order, but not sure if the $1800 is worth it. I've rarely ever had problems finding my way, and the Nav would be more a toy that a tool.

Enjoy your car, and I'll be holding my breath until I take delivery of my first BMW.
OBS3SSION,

Congrats to you on your new car and that special color you ordered. We have got to see your photos when ready.

The NAV is more like a toy. However I do use it often for sales calls for work, so for me it's toy that actually proves useful.

PC - I was in Spartansburg, SC at BMW'S X5 school and you will be impressed with what they have over there. The people there are very nice and will take good care of you when you pick up your 330i. I think there is a free driving course for you there too, right? I admire your patience!
Old 10-13-2002, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Quote:
bmwguynj!

Lets see some pics! My car should be here in 2 weeks and I'm dying to see pics of an Alpine White 330i w/sports package.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sport
Re: Re: 2003 330i Owner Comments - Long Like a Book!

Quote:
Originally posted by rost12

Actually, I would give top stock honors to Aston Martin and their Vanquish with the Linn audio system. Then again, what would you expect with your six-figure automobile?
Old 10-13-2002, 08:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2003 330i Owner Comments - Long Like a Book!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mashuri

Actually, I would give top stock honors to Aston Martin and their Vanquish with the Linn audio system. Then again, what would you expect with your six-figure automobile?
I'd think for that money, I'd expect a full orchestra or someone famous singing to me live in the back seat of that car!

I mean how much better can it get in such a small area / cabin! Amazing!

Last edited by bmwguynj; 10-14-2002 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:00 PM
round -n- shiney

Re: Re: Re: 2003 330i Owner Comments - Long Like a Book!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mashuri
Then again, what would you expect with your six-figure automobile?
I'd expect it to break down often, be a total drag in traffic but make up for it all on open stretches of roads