Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 10-13-2002, 08:00 PM
BMW Doc Emeritus

Mein Auto: BMW
FYI- BMW criteria for when Full Maint service can be done

Over the past years, there have been countless posts regarding when the dealer is allowed to do Full Maintenance services on a car. Some have been told they have to wait for a service indicator or warning light to come on, and others have had more liberal dealers that let them come in well in advance. I was searching through some BMW service bulletins online, and I read this update regarding the E65/66 servicing. It lays out the intervals for service as well as the tolerances for having it done under warranty. I have not seen a bulletin pertaining to other cars, but I assume it would be similar.

FYI- BMW has also eliminated the standard "Inspection 1" and "Inspection 2" services on the E65, and in their place instituted "Vehicle Checks" that are not as thorough.

CBS SERVICE ITEMS OVERVIEW
Service Items//Service Interval Tolerance (service can be performed within this range before being due)

Engine Oil
Adaptive based on Fuel Consumption and Oil Quality Sensor
15,000 miles//2,000 miles

Front Brakes
Adaptive based on 2 brake lining wear sensors and residual wear algorithm
25,000 miles//4,000 miles

Rear Brakes
Adaptive based on 2 brake lining wear sensors and residual wear algorithm
37,500 miles//4,000 miles

AC Microfilter
Adaptive based on IHKA algorithm
31,250 miles//4,000 miles

Brake Fluid
Time based
24 months//4 months

Coolant
Time based
48 months//4 months

Vehicle Check
Distance based
30,000 miles//2,000 miles

Spark Plugs
Distance based
100,000 miles//4,000 miles

Automatic Transmission Fluid*
Distance based (same as Spark Plugs interval)

Oxygen Sensor*
Distance based (same as Spark Plugs interval)

Emissions Inspection
Time based on State Regulations
Dealer Programmable

Safety Inspection
Time based on State Regulations
Dealer Programmable

Notes: *Neither "Automatic Transmission Fluid" nor "Oxygen Sensor" is shown in the Instrument Cluster Display or in the Control Display. The service schedule of the Automatic Transmission Fluid and Oxygen Sensor replacement is the same as that of the Spark Plug replacement.

Service can be performed for any of the above Service Items which fall within the Service Interval Tolerance.

Maintenance Program only covers Service Items which have values within the above Service Interval Tolerance (denoted as either "Recommended" or "Due" by SAM).

For those of you that are going to question my knowledge or my sources (as several of you have done this past week alone), rest assured that this is official BMWNA material. It is an excerpt from a BMW Service Bulletin.

Last edited by DrBimmer; 10-13-2002 at 08:18 PM.
Ads by Google