Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 M Coupe
Help re: aftermarket steering wheel horn wiring

Have installed a Sparco steering wheel, but having difficulty wiring horn due to unusual slip ring arrangement on M Coupes/Roadsters. Unlike most cars (and BMWs), the slip ring -- which keeps power to the horn -- is attached behind the air bag inside the steering wheel. It is not behind the steering wheel as on most cars and, for this reason, cannot be used with an aftermarket steering wheel. For those of you who have installed Sparco/Momo/etc wheels and kept the horn, how have you dealt with this? Thanks.

Neil
Imola Red '99 M Coupe Engine: Eurosport twin screw; RMS headers; Supersprint cat-back Susp/Brakes: AST 4200 coilovers w/Vorshlag plates; Brembo/Stoptech Drivetrain: diffsonline diff w/3.46; UUC Evo 3 & Cerametallic clutch w/JB Racing fly; Racelogic Safety/Instruments: McMahan roll bar; Cobra Imola seats; Schroth harnesses; SPA gauges; Traqmate On Track: 2006 – Street Modified 2 Solo Champion, Wash DC Region SCCA; 2003-08 Cannonball One Lap of America Instructor Tarheel Chapter BMWCCA
Ads by Google
Old 03-22-2006, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
I can;t remeber if it's TC, Turner or VAC that has a kit that can do this. If memory serves, around $12 or so. I've also heard of using a small spring from a ball point pen to make contact with the slip ring.

Personally, I use a back telephone cord to do the job. It's either ghetto or race, depending on your perspective.
IE Bushings all around, IE toe and camber kit
SS clutch line
VPD cooler cap & and a real Setrab cooler
Racetech pilot seat, schroth harnesses

Obey your Noodly Master! Ramen.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Zim

Mein Auto: 1999 M Roadster
My Momo

You do not have to use the slip ring at all. You can attach a 2.2 Ohm resister to fool the ABS and the +/- horn wires directly to the steering column connectors...ie. the connectors where the slip ring attach to the column. For the horn wires...just leave a few extra inches of slack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bts_002.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	71230  
Old 03-22-2006, 06:21 AM

[QUOTE=Sands]I can;t remeber if it's TC, Turner or VAC that has a kit that can do this. If memory serves, around $12 or so. I've also heard of using a small spring from a ball point pen to make contact with the slip ring.

Personally, I use a back telephone cord to do the job. It's either ghetto or race, depending on your perspective.[/QUOTE

TC sells a "BMW carbon hub pin for horn activation" for $12, but I don't think this will address problem since I don't see how I can install any of the slip ring components (i.e. the "ring" peices that the hub pin would contact) with the current arrangement.

Can you clarify? Thanks.

Neil (feeling a bit dense)
Imola Red '99 M Coupe Engine: Eurosport twin screw; RMS headers; Supersprint cat-back Susp/Brakes: AST 4200 coilovers w/Vorshlag plates; Brembo/Stoptech Drivetrain: diffsonline diff w/3.46; UUC Evo 3 & Cerametallic clutch w/JB Racing fly; Racelogic Safety/Instruments: McMahan roll bar; Cobra Imola seats; Schroth harnesses; SPA gauges; Traqmate On Track: 2006 – Street Modified 2 Solo Champion, Wash DC Region SCCA; 2003-08 Cannonball One Lap of America Instructor Tarheel Chapter BMWCCA
Old 03-22-2006, 06:35 AM

Drill a small hole in the housing just behind the slip ring on the momo/sparco hub. Insert small spring and wire up the column side of the horn system on the inside of the plastic shroud.

Ground comes through the hub and column itself.
SS clutch line

Old 03-22-2006, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: ///Hooptie
There is a specific part from BMW that is a spring pin contact.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: bike
Arn aka ken vs ryu - is right. You need the contact pin from bmw.

Both of us have the sparco wheel. Actually I copied him.

good luck.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:36 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu
There is a specific part from BMW that is a spring pin contact.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 11-15-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:29 PM

What's the PN?
SS clutch line

Old 03-22-2006, 06:33 PM

Gents -

Just re-examined assembly on my car in light of advice.

Although there is a brass ring on back of Sparco/Momo hub adaptor that is clearly intended to be part of a slip ring, there is nothing in the steering column assembly for it to make contact with. There is only the splined end of the steering column.

Now, I understand how it could work if the carbon pin assembly could be attached inside the steering column so it maintained contact with the brass ring on the back end of hub adaptor. Is this what you're suggesting and, if so, how is it secured?

EDIT: Just looked at assembly again and CAN SEE HOW CARBON HORN CONTACT IN PICTURE IS ATTACHED!! Is that the TC Kline peice ("BMW carbon hub pin for horn activation") or a different peice? If stock BMW, please provide part number. THANK YOU.

All your advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Neil

Last edited by Neil; 03-22-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands
What's the PN?
PN 32.31.1.158.475. Cost approx. $12.

Again, I appreciate everyone's help on this.

Neil
Old 03-28-2006, 07:57 AM

Just to close out this thread, want to report that I installed peice last night. Simple, 20 minute job involving one splice. Horn works perfectly!

Neil
Old 03-28-2006, 10:36 AM

Cool - better and more elegant then the black phone cord I've been using.
SS clutch line

Old 03-29-2006, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: M Coupe/ '06 X5
Neil, any pics of your steering wheel? which sparco did you go with?
I'm thinking about the Sparco Faster wheel. Only drawback is the size: 330mm instead of 350mm
TC Kline D/A, SSR GT2 19", BB Exhaust, Conforti CAI, M50 Manifold w/ adapter, Shark Injector, Denso Iridium, IE Subframe bushings, SS brake line, SS Clutch line, Rogue TME, Rogue SSK, Brass Caliper Bushings, Cobalt GT-Sport/Axxis Ultimate, Stoptech SS lines, UUC Clutch stop, ATE Super Blue, Redline 5w40, MTL, 75w90, Water wetter
Old 03-29-2006, 12:58 PM

I went with the Sparco 375.

Picture at http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemde...29&showbrake=1

Neil