Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 04-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Arrive Alive w/ my e92 M3

Mein Auto: E90SG E92M3SG
Which is a better used M3 - SMG/MT ? Convert/coupe?

as Im finding more about used M3 sale prices, i like to know M3 owners opinion as to what are the

1. pros and cons between owning a SMG vs. MT
(heard SMG breaks ez and clutches are more often need replaced)

2. pros and cons between owning a Coupe vs. Cabrio.

3. which do you think has better resale value SMG or MT

4. resale value coupe or Cabrio

5. easier in maintenance SMG or MT

6. would you refer an earlier model with lower mileage car or a later model with ave/hi mileage, both comparable in price, well kept and maintained?

any personal information is helpful !

TIA

Last edited by ase2dais; 04-03-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 M3 Coupe SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
as Im finding more about used M3 sale prices, i like to know M3 owners opinion as to what are the

1. pros and cons between owning a SMG vs. MT
(heard SMG breaks ez and clutches are more often need replaced)

2. pros and cons between owning a Coupe vs. Cabrio.

3. which do you think has better resale value SMG or MT

4. resale value coupe or Cabrio

5. easier in maintenance SMG or MT

6. would you refer an earlier model with lower mileage car or a later model with ave/hi mileage, both comparable in price, well kept and maintained?

any personal information is helpful !

TIA
1. SMG vs MT. Some people hate SMG but I think that's because they simply don't know how to drive it. MT (at least stock) is too rubbery, too long of a throw. Don't think it breaks more often (it's the same transmission as MT) and have no idea about clutches. Probably depends on how you drive it, just like a MT. Some people never need it replaced, others every 50K.

2. Cabrio is heavier. compromised body structure. No real downsides really but on a sportscar you don't want more weight than needed.

3. probably won't matter. The smg is a 2500 option, that should somewhat reflect in the resale.

4. Are you buying the car for resale or to drive it ? If you are worried about resale you should buy a used corolla and drive it forever.

5. probably not much difference. Remember, it's the same transmission. They just replaced the manual clutch with an automatic clutch, and the shifting is done for you (ie no 'direct' link between the shifter/paddles and the trans.)

All depends on the history. If you can find a very well maintained older model you should get it. My experience was that the people trying to sell the older models are not that far off in price from the newer models. There haven't been that many changes over time. Some cosmetic, and the biggest one has probably been the navigation going from cd based to dvd based.

It's a great car. Don't worry about resale, riding it will more than make up for it. The grin from ear to ear every time you get out is more than worth it.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:46 PM
This side up.

Mein Auto: E46 M3, XL1200S, E39(RIP)
Is this a joke?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruiter
1. SMG vs MT. Some people hate SMG but I think that's because they simply don't know how to drive it. MT (at least stock) is too rubbery, too long of a throw. Don't think it breaks more often (it's the same transmission as MT) and have no idea about clutches. Probably depends on how you drive it, just like a MT. Some people never need it replaced, others every 50K.

2. Cabrio is heavier. compromised body structure. No real downsides really but on a sportscar you don't want more weight than needed.

3. probably won't matter. The smg is a 2500 option, that should somewhat reflect in the resale.

4. Are you buying the car for resale or to drive it ? If you are worried about resale you should buy a used corolla and drive it forever.

5. probably not much difference. Remember, it's the same transmission. They just replaced the manual clutch with an automatic clutch, and the shifting is done for you (ie no 'direct' link between the shifter/paddles and the trans.)

All depends on the history. If you can find a very well maintained older model you should get it. My experience was that the people trying to sell the older models are not that far off in price from the newer models. There haven't been that many changes over time. Some cosmetic, and the biggest one has probably been the navigation going from cd based to dvd based.

It's a great car. Don't worry about resale, riding it will more than make up for it. The grin from ear to ear every time you get out is more than worth it.
thks for the reply, Im honestly trying to learn as much as I can about the M3s, for that will be my ultimate car in a few years. Im trying to get my kids thru college and pay off my cars. I have an E90, w/c is an ok.

I'll be ready to get an M in about a year or two, but then I would like to make sure I have no regrets on the type and yr model I get, for that may be my last horrah! (Ive said that couple of cars back BTW)

it would be my trouohy car you can say!

But let me ask this, What is a competition package, seems like alot of money just for some cruise control cption.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3
Is this a joke?
what made you say that, have i ever met you before? you have to understand not everyone knows what you know! YFA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruiter

thks for the reply, Im honestly trying to learn as much as I can about the M3s, for that will be my ultimate car in a few years. Im trying to get my kids thru college and pay off my cars. I have an E90, w/c is an ok.

I'll be ready to get an M in about a year or two, but then I would like to make sure I have no regrets on the type and yr model I get, for that may be my last horrah! (Ive said that couple of cars back BTW)

it would be my trouohy car you can say!

But let me ask this, What is a competition package, seems like alot of money just for some cruise control cption.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
whatever you do stay away from SMGs, a moneypit from wat I gather,
and Cabrio is for chicks,
or folks who seeks life partners
Old 04-03-2006, 05:51 PM
This side up.

Mein Auto: E46 M3, XL1200S, E39(RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
what made you say that, have i ever met you before? you have to understand not everyone knows what you know! YFA!
trust me. i know that not everyone has the same level of knowledge. i'm definitely no expert mechanic, but i did learn alot by being resourceful. i just figured with you having
almost 1200 posts on this board alone (more than i do), you would have figured out how to use the "search" function on this and just about any other internet bulletin board. also, the questions you ask oftentimes are very subjective and controversial. kind of like saying "which is better blondes or brunettes?" or "should i drive with dsc on?"
Old 04-03-2006, 06:00 PM
iLike iDrive

Mein Auto: 99 Z3, 04 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfart
whatever you do stay away from SMGs, a moneypit from wat I gather,
and Cabrio is for chicks,
or folks who seeks life partners
Nothing wrong with SMG, esp. with the Competition Package.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3
trust me. i know that not everyone has the same level of knowledge. i'm definitely no expert mechanic, but i did learn alot by being resourceful. i just figured with you having
almost 1200 posts on this board alone (more than i do), you would have figured out how to use the "search" function on this and just about any other internet bulletin board. also, the questions you ask oftentimes are very subjective and controversial. kind of like saying "which is better blondes or brunettes?" or "should i drive with dsc on?"
wow! for the same amount of effort you put in, you could have share with me your M3 experience and liffted my human experience. now Im speechless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger3sf
Nothing wrong with SMG, esp. with the Competition Package.
I did read the response on competition package, and I feel its a must also for an M3, I dunno about the SMG and MT yet though. my jury is still out on that, maybe a real test drive will convince me !

Last edited by ase2dais; 04-04-2006 at 05:40 PM.