Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce Bruce is offline
///M forum moderator
Location: Lake Tyler, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,291
Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJGM3
There's enough published on what I've stated as fact, I mean even the Wall Street Journal wrote about it. So I not concerned about your numbers, quite frankly it is what it is. Believe me or not. Thanks just the same but I'm not really wanting to argue this point -- it's down right FUGLY in my opinion and the 6 isn't any better.
Opinion or fact? You state opinion, I state fact. Just because it is written or on the internet it must be true right? There are lots of media outlets that like to jump on the "BMW sucks" bandwagon. I like the E60, I prefer the E39.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-07-2006, 05:35 PM
GJGM3 GJGM3 is offline
CF-R ///M3
Location: Minnesota
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
Opinion or fact? You state opinion, I state fact. Just because it is written or on the internet it must be true right? There are lots of media outlets that like to jump on the "BMW sucks" bandwagon. I like the E60, I prefer the E39.
Look, I'm not going to get into that the "Opinion or fact" with you as I've qualified what I've said in this thread. My reference was made regarding the new design of the 5 series and how that affected marketshare/sales, and a part of an analogy to the new design of the potential M3. The point being in the earlier part of the thread that BMW wasn't "stupid" and maybe/maybe not having learned from the design issues (e.g., granny glasses headlights, etc.). Regarding "stated opinion" versus your so-called "fact", you can quote what you want. My reference wasn't just internet stuff, I was basing my comments on my opinion and that of many others who don't like the design, but regarding the 5-series and drop of sales, I would hardly call the Wall Street Journal reporting on this as pure speculation or "opinion". If you like the E39 that's fine, I've never been inclined to own either a E39 or a E60. For sedans I'll take a Benz or Audi.
__________________

Gerard

ESS CFR500
///M3 'Vert
429 WHP, 321 WTQ, 6.5 PSI, 100% Stock Exhaust, Pump
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce Bruce is offline
///M forum moderator
Location: Lake Tyler, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,291
Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJGM3
Look, I'm not going to get into that the "Opinion or fact" with you as I've qualified what I've said in this thread. My reference was made regarding the new design of the 5 series and how that affected marketshare/sales, and a part of an analogy to the new design of the potential M3. The point being in the earlier part of the thread that BMW wasn't "stupid" and maybe/maybe not having learned from the design issues (e.g., granny glasses headlights, etc.). Regarding "stated opinion" versus your so-called "fact", you can quote what you want. My reference wasn't just internet stuff, I was basing my comments on my opinion and that of many others who don't like the design, but regarding the 5-series and drop of sales, I would hardly call the Wall Street Journal reporting on this as pure speculation or "opinion". If you like the E39 that's fine, I've never been inclined to own either a E39 or a E60. For sedans I'll take a Benz or Audi.

I have shown it hasn't affected market share and sales...to the contrary sales are up over the outgoing E39. BMW probably did change the design of the E90 slightly to avoid the negative publicity the E60 received. But you know what? The public realy didn't care and are buying the E60 in record numbers.

The WSJ story is sensationalized story based on the opinions lunatic fringe (which I am a member, but I don't agree with the conventional wisdom of said lunatic fringe). The facts are sales are up. Period. End of story. The death of the 5 series was premature and a media sensationalized event to drum up sales of their paper/magaine/whatever...in no way was it based on facts.

You are just wrong in this case
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-07-2006, 07:54 PM
GJGM3 GJGM3 is offline
CF-R ///M3
Location: Minnesota
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Oh, okay, only because you say so -- pffft. You most likely don't even know what article I'm referring in the WSJ because it had not to do with a "sensationalized story" as this is not in the scope of this paper. As a matter of fact it was an article based on the decline of sales based on their market design - we're talking market share here and Audi and MB taking up the slack due to disinterest in the design.

If I am wrong I will admit it. I can say that from at least my perspective I don't like it and wouldn't buy one. I'd buy an Audi or a Benz. But, I can understand your need to sound the expert, always have to be right and not have to eat your words, but that's okay fella, you're the "///M forum moderator" so I guess you're never wrong. I'm done with this thread, and I'm not impressed in the least. CIAO.
__________________

Gerard

ESS CFR500
///M3 'Vert
429 WHP, 321 WTQ, 6.5 PSI, 100% Stock Exhaust, Pump
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce Bruce is offline
///M forum moderator
Location: Lake Tyler, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,291
Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
I vaguely remember the story...I will admit I can't quote the details.

This has nothing to do with the fact I am the moderator here. Just showing you the error in your arguement. What words do I need to eat?

Last edited by Bruce; 04-07-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-07-2006, 08:55 PM
GJGM3 GJGM3 is offline
CF-R ///M3
Location: Minnesota
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
I vaguely remember the story...I will admit I can't quote the details.

This has nothing to do with the fact I am the moderator here. Just showing you the error in your arguement. What words do I need to eat?
Nevermind, my comments are over-the-top and in retrospect it's harsh. I was stating an opinion that may be wrong. Regrets and thanks!

Gerard
__________________

Gerard

ESS CFR500
///M3 'Vert
429 WHP, 321 WTQ, 6.5 PSI, 100% Stock Exhaust, Pump
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Bronzit Bronzit is offline
BMW's since 11/68
Location: Escondido, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: E24 M6, E28 M5, 2001 540i
E46 M3's value 2 diminsh when E90 M3 appears? Not right away.

Recall if you will that the E46 M3 had engine crank bearing/lube problems until 2003. I have always been a fan of the maxim, "Never buy a car in its first year of production or one made on a Monday before lunch or a Friday after lunch if you can help it!" All post-2003 M3's should not depreciate as much in the E90 M3's first year in production as they MAY, later. While its Bangled 'eyes' & trunk lid may be moderated a bit, I say that they still may affect sales, causing the E46 to not go down in value as much.

I'd also like to point out that the E46 is the LAST 3 series model to have a place for a spare tire!! That is what prompted me to Special Order one tomorrow in MY favorite, non-production color, interior and 'wood' trim. People with run-flat (un-repairable) tires on a BMW may soon find out what a $700 flat costs them in lost time & $$$! {Counting room & board while awaiting the BMW Mother Ship to rescue/repair.]

Also, as previously stated in this thread, it has been lauded by many as one of the most refined engines ever built. There's certainly little argument on the HP/liter issue!

Of course, if you just MUST have the E90 M3's hard top convertible & can afford what it will cost, GO FOR IT! But wait until @ least 2008.

VR,

Ron.

Last edited by Bronzit; 04-15-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-15-2006, 07:20 AM
WILLIA///M's Avatar
WILLIA///M WILLIA///M is offline
95NU>*
Location: Vermont
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,112
Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronzit
I'd also like to point out that the E46 is the LAST 3 series model to have a place for a spare tire!! That is what prompted me to Special Order one tomorrow in MY favorite, non-production color, interior and 'wood' trim. People with run-flat (un-repairable) tires on a BMW may soon find out what a $700 flat costs them in lost time & $$$! {Counting room & board while awaiting the BMW Mother Ship to rescue/repair.]
I'm confused. Are we still talking about E46 M3's?
__________________
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one on my TV.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-15-2006, 12:52 PM
DJ_INHALE DJ_INHALE is offline
Banned
Location: phoenix, az
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,628
Mein Auto: higher mile m3
Is it me or is the E46 the finest bmw ever produced to date? the inline 6 and all the toys, the classis lines. nothing can touch it.

I am not worried about having a 2002 vert in 2008 when the e90 is out..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-15-2006, 01:06 PM
///M3lissa's Avatar
///M3lissa ///M3lissa is offline
\m/ (>.<) \m/
Location: In the shade
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,017
Mein Auto: Duh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronzit
snip...

I'd also like to point out that the E46 is the LAST 3 series model to have a place for a spare tire!! That is what prompted me to Special Order one tomorrow in MY favorite, non-production color, interior and 'wood' trim. People with run-flat (un-repairable) tires on a BMW may soon find out what a $700 flat costs them in lost time & $$$! {Counting room & board while awaiting the BMW Mother Ship to rescue/repair.Snip....
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIA///M
I'm confused. Are we still talking about E46 M3's?


My E46 M3 doesn't have room for a spare tire
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Bronzit Bronzit is offline
BMW's since 11/68
Location: Escondido, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: E24 M6, E28 M5, 2001 540i
E46 M3's = no spare tire well!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa


My E46 M3 doesn't have room for a spare tire
It turns out that you are correct & I was wrong: That d_amn muffler takes away the space neede under the trunk floor for a spare tire well!!! Grrr!
__________________
VR,

Ron.
Ceylon `72 TII (F/S)
`88 E28 M5 (her old ride) (F/S)
Bronzit `88 E24 M6
2001 Steel Blue 540ia (hers)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Be Warned: Mr. Bubble's Worried Again paulg Off-Topic 2 08-22-2005 11:54 AM
Ruh-roh, gas prices may rocket up 24 cents/gallon TeamM3 Off-Topic 56 03-17-2005 05:46 PM
2005 prices are in for e46 sedan Nicole European Delivery 17 08-17-2004 01:57 PM
NJ BMWCCA Round 2 Elwood Motorsports, Racing & Track 75 07-06-2004 04:45 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms