Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Forced Induction

Forced Induction
Aftermarket superchargers & turbos as well as tuning for stock BMW turbos (N54 motor - 135i / 335i / 535i). Force-fed discussion to make your car go faster

Old 04-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00' M Roadster
DIY stand point, what is easier? turbo or supercharger?

Ive been searching through forums about superchargers and how it works in comparison with the turbo. I know that the supercharger is belt driven. I talked to this person who has already made fabricated piping for the intercooler from that to the turbo, to the filter and to the throttle body. It has also a flange for the BOV as well. This was all made specifically for the e36 m3 and M roadsters. This gave me the idea of instead of buying a kit, I am going to piece it together since I will not have to do much fabricating myself. Here is what im thinking of doing

t3/t4 60-1 turbo
Intercooler with all piping
TIAL 38mm Wastegate
Downpipe with o2 sensor
Turbo Manifold
42# injectors?

Im just aiming for 7-8 psi aiming for a good 330-350 WHP. I know that the only thing that I am concern with is the tuning, but I might be using this e-manage system that midnight autowerks uses.

Is this a good list, what else am I missing. I dont know if I should look into a turbo or supercharger, is the DIY process for the supercharger much more simple and lets say, cheaper?
Ads by Google
Old 04-17-2006, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: '96 Z3 1.9
I'd say that if you're fabricating the entire system from scratch, a turbo is probably easier. The trickiest part is fitment/placement of the supercharger such that your belt lines up and it fits under the hood along with everything else. Superchargers tend to sit where it's already crowded, turbos tend to sit where there's already a good bit of space. If you notice, many of the non-centrifugal SC kits for BMWs replace the factory intake manifold for packaging reasons. Turbos replace the factory exhaust manifold out of necessity, but exact placement is not as critical because there's no belt (do watch your oil drain path though). If you want to run an intercooler, the turbo is much easier. With a SC, intercooler charge and return piping is just that much more "stuff" in an already crowded space.

I have slowly smoldering plans to fab a turbo setup for my 1.9L Z3. I have considered a custom SC setup as well, so I've weighed the pros and cons of both myself as best as I can.

-Winston
Old 04-18-2006, 10:21 AM
2001BMW MZ3

Send a message via AIM to firedwg1 Send a message via MSN to firedwg1 Send a message via Yahoo to firedwg1
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW M Roadster(S54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHsu
Is this a good list, what else am I missing. I dont know if I should look into a turbo or supercharger, is the DIY process for the supercharger much more simple and lets say, cheaper?

IMHO
The supercharger will be easyer to build. Less parts and worries and a whole lot less labor...

You might want to just buy a SC kit and install that rather than wasting your weekends away try to reinvent the wheel. The trick is in the software.

Good Luck
Old 04-18-2006, 11:23 AM

The only thing that is steering me away from supercharger is that I dont have much knowledge about it. I know that the bracket needs to be fabricated, but can this be bought from a company instead?

As for the software, if I am getting the same supercharger unit as lets just say, Dinan. Would it be possible to just get the software directly from Dinan. It seems like most of the "kit" for superchargers are easy to replicate.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i SP sedan 5-spd
Mike, I would strongly recommend against building your own supercharger kit. It would be very labor and time intensive and there's a good probability of encountering difficult to resolve problems requiring engineering expertise.

Here are some supercharger links. The least expensive one is Technik Engineering's Infinitas SK+ kit for $3695.

If you want to get your hands dirty you could try installing that yourself.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:07 AM

Is there a link for this kit? Thanks