Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
BMW announces new iPod integration for iDrive equipped (MOST BUSS) vehicles

BMW Announces New Interface for iPod With Expanded Model Availability and Features

System will be Available for new 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons as well as 5, 6, and 7 Series

WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., April 12 /PRNewswire/ -- BMW today announced the debut of a new BMW Interface for iPod that will enable seamless integration of the iPod for the newest generation of BMW models. With the new BMW Interface for iPod this means that seamless iPod connectivity will be available for every current BMW model.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20060412/NYW021 )

The new BMW Interface for iPod will be available for owners of the new BMW 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons as well as the 5, 6, and 7 Series. It will also be available for the new M5 Sedan and M6 Coupe. It will enable audiophiles to bring their entire music collections with them, plug directly and effortlessly into a superior sound system while maintaining uncompromised control over their driving experience. Since the new Interface is compatible with SIRIUS satellite radio as well as the recently introduced HD Radio, owners will be able to enjoy a broad selection of high fidelity broadcast music sources as well. The original BMW iPod Adapter will continue to be available for 2002 and later BMW models: X3, X5, Z4, and previous generation 3 Series.

The original BMW iPod Adapter was the world's first seamless integration between iPod and a vehicle audio system. The new Interface will also allow users to incorporate their iPods directly into their car's sound system, but with the newly available capability to sort their music according to their own playlists, as well as by artist, album, genre, podcast, and finally, a random selection of 500 songs from the user library. Artist, album, and song title will appear in the Display Monitor.

The seamless integration of iPod makes it effortless for drivers to control their music through their existing audio system and the multifunction steering wheel. The new BMW Interface for iPod enables drivers to easily access their entire music library, shuffle songs, skip between tracks and adjust volume -- all of this with no loss of sound quality or driving control.

The new Interface is compatible with all iPods with a dock connector, including the iPod nano and the fifth generation iPod. The BMW iPod Interfaces integrate the iPod through a direct connection in the BMW glovebox, providing outstanding sound quality and constant power to the iPod all while your iPod remains protected and out of view.

The new BMW iPod Interface will be available for customers to purchase at BMW centers beginning in July 2006. Pricing has not been determined.

Features and operation may vary depending on vehicle model and option content. Consumers should check with their BMW centers for specific application restrictions or log onto http://www.ipodyourbmw.com. Installation is performed by authorized BMW centers only. iPod players are sold separately.

Please visit http://www.ipodyourbmw.com for additional information.
=============

When I tested "ipodyourbmw.com" earlier today they had not caught up to this announcement. I'm sure they will soon.
Ads by Google
Old 04-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci

Finally. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103

Finally. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Throw in a few more emoticons for me!

Spyder
Old 04-12-2006, 06:58 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Thumbs up Yipee

GREAT NEWS! :thum bup:

Thanks,

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 04-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Most excellent news

Now... the $1M question.. which is better? This one or the Dension?

BMW Version = Dealer installed, factory warranty. Song, Album, Artist.. somewhat a given.

Dension=? Album art? Video directly from iPod?

Let the games begin...
Old 04-13-2006, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 645ci
according to the info on http://www.ipodyourbmw.com CD changer AND SAT radio functionality must be sacrificed in order to get this ipod integration.

that's, uh, less than ideal. certainly a 'good news/bad news' announcement. I wonder if the Dension approach requires the same sacrifices.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtr2seven
according to the info on http://www.ipodyourbmw.com CD changer AND SAT radio functionality must be sacrificed in order to get this ipod integration.

that's, uh, less than ideal. certainly a 'good news/bad news' announcement. I wonder if the Dension approach requires the same sacrifices.
Based on the video, I can understand the iPod and CD changer being mutually exclusive, but Sirius? That's ridiculous. It would appear that BMW intentionally crippled their MOST implementation to only allow a fixed number of entertainment sources. From what I've read, the MOST bus is capable of daisy-chaining "n" number of entertainment sources.

-MrB
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Old 04-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: '07 650 Vert
Quote:

From the press release above:

"It will enable audiophiles to bring their entire music collections with them, plug directly and effortlessly into a superior sound system while maintaining uncompromised control over their driving experience. Since the new Interface is compatible with SIRIUS satellite radio as well as the recently introduced HD Radio, owners will be able to enjoy a broad selection of high fidelity broadcast music sources as well."

Dension doesn't require these sacrifices EITHER. See the thread and link on that. Both system released roughly the same time. If Dension can make it work with the CD changer and everything else, BMW should be able to also.

By the way, I see the MOST BUSS vs. BUS very often. I have seen "bus" used with the words: data, ac pwr, dc pwr, navigation, etc in numerous aircraft. I would think it's the same thing. Does BUSS refer to something different?

Last edited by BigHat; 04-13-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
What's an iPod?
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid
What's an iPod?
intelligent Piece of dung
Old 04-13-2006, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
[QUOTE=650iOzBoy]intelligent Piece of dung [/QUOTE
Sorry Ozzi ol' boy, I misinterpreted what you wrote and tried to cancel the post. You have a great sense of humor.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 04-14-2006 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:33 PM

would that it were so

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat

"It will enable audiophiles to bring their entire music collections with them, plug directly and effortlessly into a superior sound system while maintaining uncompromised control over their driving experience. Since the new Interface is compatible with SIRIUS satellite radio as well as the recently introduced HD Radio, owners will be able to enjoy a broad selection of high fidelity broadcast music sources as well."

Dension doesn't require these sacrifices EITHER. See the thread and link on that. Both system released roughly the same time. If Dension can make it work with the CD changer and everything else, BMW should be able to also.

By the way, I see the MOST BUSS vs. BUS very often. I have seen "bus" used with the words: data, ac pwr, dc pwr, navigation, etc in numerous aircraft. I would think it's the same thing. Does BUSS refer to something different?
hey BigHat,

the press release and the ipodyourbmw site are in conflict. coincidentally, i believe they're from the same source. if you view the demo video on the site, you'll see how the CD changer is used in the integration kit.

both solutions (Dension & BMW) eliminate the CD changer. the ipodyourbmw site indicates this integration is not compatible w/Sirius as well. it's unclear whether the Dension solution is in the same boat, but it would be difficult to imagine it otherwise.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
hey BigHat,

the press release and the ipodyourbmw site are in conflict. coincidentally, i believe they're from the same source. if you view the demo video on the site, you'll see how the CD changer is used in the integration kit.

both solutions (Dension & BMW) eliminate the CD changer. the ipodyourbmw site indicates this integration is not compatible w/Sirius as well. it's unclear whether the Dension solution is in the same boat, but it would be difficult to imagine it otherwise.
I don't suspect the ipodyourbmw web site will be updated until the product is available. Therefore what is announced will not line up with what is currently offered.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat

That's probably me and my ancient technician/engineering background. We used buss for awhile to differentiate between technical application versus taking the ‘bus’. You might also catch me using “aw shucks”, “golly gee”, “cool, man” and “that’s the cat’s pajamas”.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:32 PM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch
Most excellent news

Now... the $1M question.. which is better? This one or the Dension?

BMW Version = Dealer installed, factory warranty. Song, Album, Artist.. somewhat a given.

Dension=? Album art? Video directly from iPod?

Let the games begin...
I am concerned about the 500 song random play limit. That seems artificial and silly. The iPod (at least the new one) supports unlimited random song play as well as umlimited random album play. As the Ice>Link+ supports this, I would expect Dension's new products to do the same.

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 04-13-2006, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 35is, X5 50i
Quote:
Where did you read Denison doesn't support the CD changer? It specifically said "Retention of OEM CD Changer" (http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php).

Also, Denison will also support video (this was just from a post, not from their site), USB flash drives and auxiliary inputs. I'd wait until they were both available before making a decision unless Denison releases drastically later than BMW.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryRudolph
Where did you read Denison doesn't support the CD changer? It specifically said "Retention of OEM CD Changer" (http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php).

Also, Denison will also support video (this was just from a post, not from their site), USB flash drives and auxiliary inputs. I'd wait until they were both available before making a decision unless Denison releases drastically later than BMW.
Both of these are just too new to rely on what we read. I have so many options now (FM, AM, WB, CD, CDC, SAT, AUX) and MP3 in the single slot CD and NAV DVD that I have no need to rush into anything. If Dension truly lives up to the implied features listed for the Gateway 500 touted on their site (the box shows a "Video Out" but we really do not know what that means) I would tend to lean that way, BUT... I want to see reports by real owner/users before I leap in.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:34 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

BMW Vodcast

Did you see this on BMW's website?

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/...ograms/Vodcast

Old 04-14-2006, 06:46 AM

here, here!

thanks, gbelton, for posting the link to the vodcast. this is the longer version of the video on the ipodyourbmw site. (the in-car demo portion is identical for both sites.) in the vodcast they indicate SAT functionality is retained while text on the ipodyourbmw site says otherwise.

at any rate, we won't know what's really real until they get here. the good news is that they're coming real soon.

I must say, if I have to chose between pix/video support and factory warranteed (sp) install, I've gotta go with the latter. video's nice; having a single place to point your finger when the iDrive goes sideways is a must for me.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:20 AM
Anything is possible!

Mein Auto: 07 550i, 08 M5
More news and pics:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...rface-for-ipod
Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: '07 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFly650i

Same words as the initial post just posted in a new spot.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:

Once again BMW demonstrates their continuing pattern of poor design.

You lose both the CD changer and Sat Radio? Totally rediculous.

So if you paid $500 for sat radio, and the CD changer is about $600, you are out $1100 before you even purchase the iPOD interface.

I will stick with the Aux input solution or FM modulator, or play MP3's on CD. Seems much more logical.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:35 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Exclamation Logical

The Germans are a logical culture. Why would anyone need SAT and CD-Changer if you want to use an iPod with over 10,000 song playing capability... verdorben Amerikaner!

It's very obvious they do not understand Americans. WE WANT ALL THE OPTIONS! dumm Deutschst***228;mmigen!

GMAN

Old 05-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton
The Germans are a logical culture. Why would anyone need SAT and CD-Changer if you want to use an iPod with over 10,000 song playing capability... verdorbenAmerikaner!

It's very obvious they do not understand Americans. WE WANT ALL THE OPTIONS! dumm Deutschstämmigen!

GMAN
There is no way I would give up Sat Radio for an iPOD. iPODs are great, no question there. But most people do not keep their iPOD updated on a daily basis. Sat Radio gives you current music all the time and over 150 channels. Sure the iPOD is yours to customize however you choose, but I am not making it my lifes work to keep my iPOD up to date. I will save that chore for the highschool kids with no jobs.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:47 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Red face I Agree

I feel the same. SAT and CD-Changer for me. I enjoy my iPod but not that much.

To me it's just plain silly for this added feature and the disabling of the SAT and cd-changer.

GMAN