Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 04-17-2006, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci
What rpm to shift? 330ci

Hello I am trying to figure out when you guys shift for daily driving(normal)?
I shift around 2.5-3rpm. Also I have 5 speed, and when do I shift from 4th to 5th, I shift too quick and feel drivetrain making hitting noise(not smooth), basically shifting too fast or not enough rpm, must wind it more in 4th before shifting into 5th. Please share your experiences.
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
moving thread to general bmw

I shift at whatever RPM is appropriate for the conditions. Sounds vague, but I really can't be more specific than that.

Matching revs up AND down is more important than shifting at a certain RPM... as far as smoothness and wear to your clutch is concerned. You learn to judge how much your revs fall by executing a certain shift and release the clutch appropriately.

For example,

If your engine is at 4000RPM prior to your shift and you judge that it will be at approx. 3400RPM after you have shifted into the next higher gear, then you should keep the clutch engaged and your foot off of the gas until just before the tach falls to the 3400RPM mark. Disengage the clutch at that point and it doesn't have to do any work.

When downshifting, you can do the same by lightly feathering the gas right after disengaging the clutch, bringing the revs up... Once you get good at it it's like second nature.

Last edited by KrisL; 04-17-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525iA E39. 330i E90.
I usually shift at 3.5-4.5K and give it a brief burst of WOT immediately before upshifting.

I also rev-match the downshifts and tend to keep the revs between 3-5K when slowing down considerably or coming to a stop.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huezo
I usually shift at 3.5-4.5K and give it a brief burst of WOT immediately before upshifting.

I also rev-match the downshifts and tend to keep the revs between 3-5K when slowing down considerably or coming to a stop.
If the above accurately describes your technique, then you`ve definitely got it all ass-backward....

Regards,
Bob
Old 04-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Don't shift so early that you lug the engine.

Don't shift so late that you go past the redline.

Between those two, where you shift will govern how fast you go, how smooth you go, and your fuel economy. Driving gently and shifting relatively early will give you max. economy but less "zoom zoom fun" factor.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Who, me?

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameltoeninja
Hello I am trying to figure out when you guys shift for daily driving(normal)?
I shift around 2.5-3rpm. Also I have 5 speed, and when do I shift from 4th to 5th, I shift too quick and feel drivetrain making hitting noise(not smooth), basically shifting too fast or not enough rpm, must wind it more in 4th before shifting into 5th. Please share your experiences.
It sounds like you need to wind it out a bit more.. From your description, the revs are too low when you upshift, and you are lugging the engine..

Check your revs after you shift.... If you are below 2K RPM, then you are upshifting too soon... If you are still accelerating, you should be at 2500 RPM or higher after you shift...

This is a real generalization.... but, I'd say shifts at 3500 RPM or higher are appropriate, especially if you are still accelerating... If you are up to speed, then you can upshift a little sooner...

regards,
kyfdx