BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Starter Relay location - 540 will not crank

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ågent99 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2000 540i that has 140K km on it. I drive it everyday. Yesterday I tried to start it, the dash lights turn on, but when I turn on the ignition further , nothing. No cranking or chattering of the starter. The battery voltage seems OK (12.5 v) .
I am trying to locate the starter relay. Does anybody know where the starter relay located?
I will need to check the ignition switch next.
Thanks in Advance.
Anton

#2 ·
Your battery voltage may be okay but if it is the original battery that came with the car, I'd suspect it. Have you attempted to get jump started? If you try it, be sure to read the manual as you need to be careful HOW you jump start it.

I dunno about the autopart stores in Canada but I can easily get a replacment battery here at my local Autozone for about $70 with a core change.

#3 ·
Bad battery

I agree with the battery scenario. If you have the original factory battery you are lucky that it lasted this long. I have an 2001 and I had the same symptoms you are mentioning. As soon as I replaced the battery, she started right up!

#5 ·
I would at least get the battery checked. You'd be amazed what problems a weak or semi-weak battery can cause. IMO, the OEM batteries are good for 4-5 years and then they should be replaced no matter what. Because it is relatively cheap and an easy DIY, you should consider it even if the battery checks out okay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.