Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-16-2002, 08:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Question UUC short shift kit ..

I'm planning on doing the install this weekend. I've had the shifter sitting here for a few weeks, but have been waiting on the carrier bushings (they were on back order).

Are there any 'gotchas' that I need to be concerned with? I'll be installing on an '02 330ci..
Old 01-16-2002, 10:10 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Send a message via MSN to ed325i Send a message via Yahoo to ed325i
Mein Auto: 328Xi
Here's a review on e46fanatics.com

http://www.e46fanatics.com/review/re...p?review_id=16
Old 01-17-2002, 12:02 PM
Where am I?

Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
Mein Auto: Imola Red M3
Anyone know how the UUC compares to the ACS kit?
Old 01-17-2002, 12:22 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
I believe there is a comparo on the UUC site. Basically they say the ACS is the best kit there is, but at 4 or 5x the cost.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:26 PM
Where am I?

Interesting. Yeah, I was going to end up getting the ACS at some point. But first, I need my car

Someone stop me! I can't stop using the smilies!
Old 01-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Coyote Racing Team

Mein Auto: 2011 Mustang GT
I have the kit. Put it in myself.

The kit is great. The shift feel is now solid an smooth. There is a slight "notch" to it that subtlely lets you know you are fully engaged in each gear. Technically, it wasn't difficult to install. The directions were fine. The hardest part was that damn "clip from hell" - tough to get too! Good thing they supply another one because I broke the original taking it off. They warn you about this (one operation you have to do by feel without seeing what you are doing).

The materials and construction are first rate.

As far as the ACS - I just can't see spending that much on a shifter. I thought the UUC was expensive (I'm used to modifying my Mustang where shifters were half the UUC price and you could get an entire high-performance 5 speed transmission for the price of the ACS unit).

Other than the ACS, this is supposed to be the next best thing. I'm very happy with it.

There was a brief article in Roundel last year reviewing the shifter. They basically said it felt damn close the the ACS unit at a fraction of the price. It felt like the unit in the Honda S2000 which is currently the epitome.

Steeda Sport Springs / Roush Axle Back / MGW Shifter / BOSS Front & Rear Fascia / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar /
BMR Relocaton Brackets / BMR Lower Control Arms / Staggered AMR Charcoal Rims / BAMA Tuned

Last edited by J. Kidd; 01-17-2002 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:08 PM
Where am I?

Re: I have the kit. Put it in myself.

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Kidd
As far as the ACS - I just can't see spending that much on a shifter. I thought the UUC was expensive (I'm used to modifying my Mustang where shifters were half the UUC price and you could get an entire high-performance 5 speed transmission for the price of the ACS unit).

Other than the ACS, this is supposed to be the next best thing. I'm very happy with it.
Cool. I just checked their web site and it definitely looks pretty good to me. How long did it take you to install it? Did you do it like the How-To on e46fanatics?
Old 01-17-2002, 02:25 PM
Coyote Racing Team

Mein Auto: 2011 Mustang GT
Didn't take that long - maybe 3 hours taking my time and stopping for lunch. The longest was fidgeting with that stupid clip. I actually only used the instructions that came with the kit. I got the delrin carrier bushings as well as the roller bearing bushings. As long as you have a jack and jack stands to get the car up, its not that bad. Just read in instructions a couple times (until you can mentally visualize installing it) and then take your time on the install - pretty straight forward.

Steeda Sport Springs / Roush Axle Back / MGW Shifter / BOSS Front & Rear Fascia / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar /
BMR Relocaton Brackets / BMR Lower Control Arms / Staggered AMR Charcoal Rims / BAMA Tuned
Old 01-17-2002, 02:28 PM
Where am I?

Cool. Maybe I'll order one in the next couple of weeks.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
I installed mine Thursday night. It took me about 3 hours or so. Installation is not that bad, and everything went mostly as shown in the instructions. I did have to drop my tranny a bit though to get the carrier re-installed. After installing the ERK cup on the carrier, I couldn't push the carrier back far enough into the rear rubber mount and couldn't lift it high enough over the front mount on the tranny to reinstall it. Other than that, things went well.

The new shifter feels like it's about half the throw as stock. Much improved. It's notchy as hell, but I actually like it -- much more positive response letting you know you are in gear.

My only complaint is a bit of noise resonating from the shifter. I believe the noise is actually coming from the shift knob. I have the stock myrtle knob. The noise is basically gear noise -- I can hear the gears winding up, and some sort of a 'woosh' sound between shifts. I removed the knob and drove around a bit -- as quiet as stock. So, I may be replacing the knob. I might go with a UUC RKII, as it's heavier and seems to be one solid piece. The added weight should help cut down on the slightly increased effort required when shifting.