Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-19-2006, 06:27 PM
hionbusa hionbusa is offline
Registered User
Location: America's finest SD, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: hayabusa
Question 2002 or 2003 .

iI ve narrowed it down between an 02 with excellent service recorded , private party , all upgrades done & 03 from a ford dealer (out of all places) .


the 02 is in slightly better condition the the 03 .

can probably get the 02 for $34k . 03 they want $39 to 40K


BUT i really want to use my cell phone (bluetooth ) with the car . the 03 offers the upgrade for $200 . No upgrades for the cpt8000 yet.


the 02 also has the Logic 7 . I could care less about the wheels . I m upgrading .



WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 04-19-2006, 06:30 PM
BmW745On19's's Avatar
BmW745On19's BmW745On19's is offline
Go Gators
Location: Tampa, Florida
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,351
Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Ooo, thats a tough one. I'd go for the 03 if I didn't really care about the stereo sucking bad and if it isnt that much worse than the 02, plus the 03 has a longer warranty, good plus.

I'd go for the 02 because it has the Logic7, sounds fantastic for factory radio, and its in better condition.

Got some difficult trade offs..

Get the 03 and make them take $4k off the price, cause no Logic 7 and not that good of condition.

Good luck!
__________________

The Only 745i to Consider
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2006, 06:37 PM
hionbusa hionbusa is offline
Registered User
Location: America's finest SD, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's
Ooo, thats a tough one. I'd go for the 03 if I didn't really care about the stereo sucking bad and if it isnt that much worse than the 02, plus the 03 has a longer warranty, good plus.

I'd go for the 02 because it has the Logic7, sounds fantastic for factory radio, and its in better condition.

Got some difficult trade offs..

Get the 03 and make them take $4k off the price, cause no Logic 7 and not that good of condition.

Good luck!

thanks for the tip .

Yeah I m thinking . The 02 is everything you can except from a used car( service record , the right type of owner etc....) . I m waiting on the 03 to get back to me with a counter offer. I think an 03 is worth an extra $1500 and nothing more .
same mileage on both cars.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Patina Patina is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: Audi TTR - 745LI
may I know what options, color and mileage on both cars?

I also in the same condition as you.

2002 black on black, 64000 mileage, full option except sport package, good condition $37k
2003 toledo blue on tan, 64000s mileage, full option except sport, good condition $39,950

I am leaning towards the black for now if I can get it for $36,000 (or should I go lower? like yours only $34k)

so maybe if you take the 2003, I can take the 2002 with $34k tag.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Patina Patina is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: Audi TTR - 745LI
To reply your question, i think all 2002 7 series now have 6/100,000 waranty upgrade from the bmw. I dont know if its the same case with 2003.


anyway, may I know what options, color and mileage on both cars?

I also in the same condition as you.

2002 black on black, 64000 mileage, full option except sport package, good condition $37k
2003 toledo blue on tan, 64000s mileage, full option except sport, good condition $39,950

I am leaning towards the black for now if I can get it for $36,000 (or should I go lower? like yours only $34k)

so maybe if you take the 2003, I can take the 2002 with $34k tag.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2006, 09:42 PM
hionbusa hionbusa is offline
Registered User
Location: America's finest SD, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina
To reply your question, i think all 2002 7 series now have 6/100,000 waranty upgrade from the bmw. I dont know if its the same case with 2003.


anyway, may I know what options, color and mileage on both cars?

I also in the same condition as you.

2002 black on black, 64000 mileage, full option except sport package, good condition $37k
2003 toledo blue on tan, 64000s mileage, full option except sport, good condition $39,950

I am leaning towards the black for now if I can get it for $36,000 (or should I go lower? like yours only $34k)

so maybe if you take the 2003, I can take the 2002 with $34k tag.
check my previous post "window shopper" for the 2002 I was looking at .

they are both identical in color and options except for the 03 has the 19 in wheels which I could care less about caus I m upgrading to 22s
they are both black on black.

I would assume blue would be worth slightly less I think again u can almost never go wrong with a black car.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2006, 09:52 PM
hionbusa hionbusa is offline
Registered User
Location: America's finest SD, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina
may I know what options, color and mileage on both cars?

I also in the same condition as you.

2002 black on black, 64000 mileage, full option except sport package, good condition $37k
2003 toledo blue on tan, 64000s mileage, full option except sport, good condition $39,950

I am leaning towards the black for now if I can get it for $36,000 (or should I go lower? like yours only $34k)

so maybe if you take the 2003, I can take the 2002 with $34k tag.
get it as low as you can , 37k is still a good deal .
I m working on getting mine to 34k . owner is will to substract a $400 fee for coolant flush + oil change that is due.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-21-2006, 12:26 PM
BayAreaBMWFan BayAreaBMWFan is offline
Back in California
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,246
Mein Auto: '11 528; '09 Odyssey
Are you planning to buy or lease? Leasecompare often has sweet deals on these cars since the retail value is much higher than what you are paying. And then customize the lease so that the lease ends when the warranty ends. The 2003 will have a longer warranty and by leasing you save on sales tax (which is 8.25% here in CA).

Since all 2003 cars came with 4yrs/50KMiles of scheduled maintenance, you should not worry too much about missing records. You can also get the maintenance records from your local BMW dealer. The 2002s came with 3yrs/36K of scheduled maintenance though most selling dealers sold the upgrade to 4yrs/50K to correspond with the factory warranty along with the car.

BTW, if the car has less than 50K miles, I would definitely get the BMW maintenance plan extension. It works great with the bumper to bumper warranty.
__________________
2011 528 Black/Black ZPP ZP2 BMW Apps
2005 330Ci SparkGraphite/Gray Retired ZHP, Step, Nav, Xenon, Heated Seats, PDC
2007 X3 3.0si AlpiWhite/Tobacco ED Retired Step, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, Nav, Xenon, Privacy Glass, Servotronic, Cargo Net
2002 745Li Slate Green Metallic/Beige Retired; Perfect baby-hauler
2006 525 TiAg/Black Retired; nice but not an E39
2004 3.0 Z4 Black/Black/Black SMG Retired but not forgotten...
2003 525iA TiAg/Gray Retired; Long live the King of all Bimmers, the E39
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-21-2006, 03:34 PM
ajfB004's Avatar
ajfB004 ajfB004 is offline
2002 745 I
Location: Spring , TX
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 395
Send a message via Yahoo to ajfB004
Mein Auto: 2002 745i
A Lot better

You can do a lot better than that mileage, I bought my 2002 from Expo MotorCars in Houston TX for 38000.00 it had 31000 miles and I extended the service package to 100000 miles to match the bumper to bumper warranty on the car.
Check out the web page and they can ship to your door. Mileage is an issue even on these cars for service issues so be careful. look for as low as you can find and don't limit yourself to local dealers. I got a baseline for price in Houston and then looked on line for cars 2002- 2003. On Ebay I found one listing and it ended up being my dealership in Houston.
Black and Gray, and hard to keep clean , but driving a dirty 745 is a sin for which there is no forgiveness.
Take your time in your search and choose wisely


http://www.expomotorcars.com/Expomotors.htm
__________________
A. M. Muhammed
Spring TX
2002 745i


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-21-2006, 04:21 PM
BayAreaBMWFan BayAreaBMWFan is offline
Back in California
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,246
Mein Auto: '11 528; '09 Odyssey
Is the OP looking at the Li or the normal car? The LIs with less than 50K miles can be had for less then $40K and normal ones for less than 36Ks. He just has to look around.

Since these cars come with free warranty and maintenance, in general, records are not that essential.

My E65 745Li Story
A No Reserve Auction based in San Diego

Expo motors is not the cheapest but they have a good inventory.
__________________
2011 528 Black/Black ZPP ZP2 BMW Apps
2005 330Ci SparkGraphite/Gray Retired ZHP, Step, Nav, Xenon, Heated Seats, PDC
2007 X3 3.0si AlpiWhite/Tobacco ED Retired Step, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, Nav, Xenon, Privacy Glass, Servotronic, Cargo Net
2002 745Li Slate Green Metallic/Beige Retired; Perfect baby-hauler
2006 525 TiAg/Black Retired; nice but not an E39
2004 3.0 Z4 Black/Black/Black SMG Retired but not forgotten...
2003 525iA TiAg/Gray Retired; Long live the King of all Bimmers, the E39

Last edited by BayAreaBMWFan; 04-21-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-22-2006, 11:35 AM
hionbusa hionbusa is offline
Registered User
Location: America's finest SD, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: hayabusa
thanks for all the info guys , very helpful.

The ebay route is definetly not the way to go for me .
I saw a car on ebay once. Drove 200 miles to check it . It had a front fender damage , only a trained eye could see it . The car drove horrible . The wheels wobbled, the brakes were not good . I mean the average person would have thought the car was great and they got a great deal on it . The seller was a platinum ebay . Auction cars , are a hit or miss. I ve seen great auction cars and I ve seen horrible ones too. + sometimes u dont get what u want as far as option . (logic 7 etc....)

I dont mind paying an xtra 1k if i get exactly what I m looking for .


The lease option is definetly a good thing to consider . I dont think I would be a great candidate for it . I drive 25k miles a year.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-22-2006, 02:41 PM
hionbusa hionbusa is offline
Registered User
Location: America's finest SD, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: hayabusa
Well , i took u guys advice to do some more research .

I backed out of the deal because of $600. aint that funny /

we agreed at 35k . then today we are signing transfer paperwork. seller mentioned an issue with the fm station . plus the oil , coolant flush service is due so I had to pay for that . I asked him to discount 600 bucks for me to service the car.

i showed him couple of listing of what 7 s are going for . I said 35k was nothing but an ok deal and at least he should discount 600 for me to service the car.
i can get one from the auction this thursday for 34k with 40,000 miles on it .



He walked out . Said good luck . .For 66k miles and only 18 inch wheels +small scratche on the back bumper, this dude has been trying to sell the car since december.
Not a good business more from his side . Maybe he is rich.

Hey , there are many 745 for sale and not enough buyer .

I ll wait for the right one to come along.


thanks guys . Your replies helped me a lot
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-22-2006, 03:43 PM
BayAreaBMWFan BayAreaBMWFan is offline
Back in California
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,246
Mein Auto: '11 528; '09 Odyssey
If you have access to dealer auctions definitely go there. Many car brokers will take you there. Make sure you get a car under original factory warranty (50KMiles). That way you are covered. I have seen 745s with much less miles go for the price you were paying on EBay. Also check out craigslist in your area.

I agree with you that you have to be careful on EBay like anywhere else. Always run Carfax and get service records from a dealer. Chances are that if a new under warranty car was involved in an accident the car would have gone to a dealer for service etc.
__________________
2011 528 Black/Black ZPP ZP2 BMW Apps
2005 330Ci SparkGraphite/Gray Retired ZHP, Step, Nav, Xenon, Heated Seats, PDC
2007 X3 3.0si AlpiWhite/Tobacco ED Retired Step, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, Nav, Xenon, Privacy Glass, Servotronic, Cargo Net
2002 745Li Slate Green Metallic/Beige Retired; Perfect baby-hauler
2006 525 TiAg/Black Retired; nice but not an E39
2004 3.0 Z4 Black/Black/Black SMG Retired but not forgotten...
2003 525iA TiAg/Gray Retired; Long live the King of all Bimmers, the E39
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-23-2006, 03:48 AM
Patina Patina is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: Audi TTR - 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hionbusa
Well , i took u guys advice to do some more research .

I backed out of the deal because of $600. aint that funny /

we agreed at 35k . then today we are signing transfer paperwork. seller mentioned an issue with the fm station . plus the oil , coolant flush service is due so I had to pay for that . I asked him to discount 600 bucks for me to service the car.

i showed him couple of listing of what 7 s are going for . I said 35k was nothing but an ok deal and at least he should discount 600 for me to service the car.
i can get one from the auction this thursday for 34k with 40,000 miles on it .



He walked out . Said good luck . .For 66k miles and only 18 inch wheels +small scratche on the back bumper, this dude has been trying to sell the car since december.
Not a good business more from his side . Maybe he is rich.

Hey , there are many 745 for sale and not enough buyer .

I ll wait for the right one to come along.


thanks guys . Your replies helped me a lot
sorry about that. but, arent those things covered by the waranty? if you buy the 2002, I think all of them get upgrade to 6/ 100,000 waranty by the bmw.
I just bought 2002 745li today

if you want, my dealer has 2002 745li black on black with all options except sport for $37k. mileage about 63,000. if only he accepts AMEX, i would buy it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-23-2006, 03:34 PM
2006_750Li_ED's Avatar
2006_750Li_ED 2006_750Li_ED is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 502
Mein Auto: 2006 750Li Euro Delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hionbusa
check my previous post "window shopper" for the 2002 I was looking at .

they are both identical in color and options except for the 03 has the 19 in wheels which I could care less about caus I m upgrading to 22s
they are both black on black.

I would assume blue would be worth slightly less I think again u can almost never go wrong with a black car.
If you are going to invest in 22" wheels you will spend a lot of $$, perhaps $5000 including tires.
let me recomend not to buy either car and spend the wheel money on a 2004 with half the miles. You will never get the wheel money back when you sell the car, most people don't like the low ride or looks of such a car, so on resale it will be very hard to sell.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-23-2006, 07:51 PM
hionbusa hionbusa is offline
Registered User
Location: America's finest SD, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina
sorry about that. but, arent those things covered by the waranty? if you buy the 2002, I think all of them get upgrade to 6/ 100,000 waranty by the bmw.
I just bought 2002 745li today

if you want, my dealer has 2002 745li black on black with all options except sport for $37k. mileage about 63,000. if only he accepts AMEX, i would buy it.
no they are not . The 100k miles warranty only covers certain things.
Maintenance is still out of your pockets which ends up costing a fortune hence,
bayareafan recommending to get a car undr 60k to get a maintenance plan on it .

congrats on the new ride. post some pictures
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-23-2006, 08:02 PM
hionbusa hionbusa is offline
Registered User
Location: America's finest SD, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_750Li_ED
If you are going to invest in 22" wheels you will spend a lot of $$, perhaps $5000 including tires.
let me recomend not to buy either car and spend the wheel money on a 2004 with half the miles. You will never get the wheel money back when you sell the car, most people don't like the low ride or looks of such a car, so on resale it will be very hard to sell.
750li,

thanks for the advice . If i could find a 745i 2004 or 2003 with only 5k difference in price . I would be all over it .
this is what I m looking at :

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/car/153329683.html

offered him 40k , told me to go fly a kite.


I wanted to understand why ur recommendation for a 2004 ?

To the best of my knowledge, there isnt much difference .
2002 we are talking mid 30 to 40k
2003 we are talking mid 40k
2004 its still 50k for the same car .

I nver consider wheels an investement. If we were thinking from in investement stand point ,then we should all be driving LEXUS LS 430 . Jd power award and hold most of its value.

The 745i took a nasty depreciation within the past 3 years. I m not sure I want to spend more then 40k on one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Was the sport package standard on 2002 / 2003 540i 6 speed manuals? MikeLa 5 Series 9 11-29-2004 09:56 PM
"Uncle Bob" tests the 2002 M3 Guest84 General BMW 23 06-11-2002 07:38 AM
BMW Group continues growth course in 2002 Jon Shafer General BMW 0 05-09-2002 04:00 PM
First non-performance modifications to a 2002 325iT(very long) Jeff_DML 3 Series / 4 Series 0 04-26-2002 11:03 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms