Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
will this same part work for e46?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Has anyone done an autopsy on the old FSU yet?

Has anyone done a forensic autopsy on the old FSU yet?

UPDATE:
"Doru" kindly pointed us in this thread to this BMW FSU autopsy report!

Woo hoo! A must read!

Last edited by bluebee; 04-09-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Thumbs up FSU Replacement

Thanks for the update changed it and it works great. Your instructions were good and precise, however the parts is very hard to reach and the space is tight, so if someone is not handy then it is better to take it to a dealer. Total time needed if you know what you are doing is around 20/25 min.utes from start to finish
Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Smile

I called the dealership and explained the problem and told that It'd be 300 including labor, and an hour job. I already knew wat was needed to be changed. and asked the guy at dealership whether that was any recall with the resistor and explained no.

and Thank a lot for the descriptions on how to change the resistor. this certainly has saved me 200 bucks. I feel sorry for BMW dealers in this economically unstable time that they didn't get my business but in a way I'm sure that they'd learn not to rip people off for charging $35 in just labor to change the viperblade refills ( I was once charged that )..

Thanks agian.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigaanass View Post
I called the dealership and explained the problem and told that It'd be 300 including labor, and an hour job.
It took me at least an hour but if I only knew exactly which way to unclip the FSU, it would have taken fifteen minutes from start to finish.

Others seem to have had the same problem trying to figure out how to unclip the FSU. It's not so much the size of our hands (mine are small), but, the motions involved.

I think (see this post for more explicit detail), you have to both PUSH AGAINST THE FSU while unclipping (as if you're pushing it in even harder) and press out on the clips (the opposite of what you'd think).

I'm not exactly sure about the clips but I am pretty sure that it makes it easier to push in on the fsu (in the opposite direction) befure pressing on the harness clips themselves.

Anyway, I reference this thread for details. It might be nice if someone who has done it can explain the best way to unclip the damn thing! Hopefully I'll never need to do it again; but others will, for sure so the effort won't go wasted.

Quote:
they didn't get my business but in a way I'm sure that they'd learn not to rip people off for charging $35 in just labor to change the wiperblade refills
OT but I filed a thread on the wiperblade refills. I wish I knew before I did it what I know now (see the thread for details).

Bluebee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fsu.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	182654   Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.gif
Views:	2480
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	182655  
Old 04-24-2009, 12:41 AM

Mein Auto: 97 528i autotragic
My friend dropped a dime into the cigarette lighter of my 528 and it blew my radio fuse and the climate unit stopped working. I changed the fuse for the radio and now it works but the heater doesnt. I changed the fuse for it too but it doesnt even come on. I replaced the fsu but that didnt help. I tried swapping ccu's with a friends 97 (mines a 99) But that didnt help. So pissed summers coming up and I dont got ac Anyone know what could be the problem?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i sport
Hey

We have had the intermittent blower speed up and down, up and down.. not matter what setting.. had this for a little while... when then had a dead battery after being parked for a day, the road side assist mob told us it was a dead cell in the battery.. new battery all ok for a few weeks, then dead battery again , in the same car park.. road side assist mob now say must be a faulty relay or something..

Lots of research let me to this site and it does sound like the FSU.

Called the local dealership, explained the problem and that I wanted the FSU replaced.. he seemed to have no idea on what I was talking about and wanted to run right thru the whole system to see if he can locate it..

So will now order the part from a local supplier but want to know if I can pop a fuse to stop the battery draining until we get the part?

Any advise would be great.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 04-26-2009, 12:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 2001
Right Hand Drive FSU

This is one dificult job from Sept 2000 onwards on RH drive models. You'll know if it has a black motor housing in front of the FSU. The stepper motor has 2 screws one being in the most imposible place to get out. One screw one takes 30 secs to get out, the second 2 hours!!!! You need a 20 torx that is about 6-8 inches long and isn't too bulky. You'll have to feel about on the top of the stepper motor as you can't see the screw at all. Will take 2 weeks for my arm and neck to recover. Silly thing is that the screw takes 3 turns and it's out! will take a picture of the stepper motor out as it may help someone in doing the job.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:34 AM

Right Hand Drive FSU

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one difficult job from Sept 2000 onwards on RH drive models. You'll know if it has a black motor housing in front of the FSU. The stepper motor has 2 screws one being in the most imposible place to get out. One screw one takes 30 secs to get out, the second 2 hours!!!! You need a 20 torx that is about 6-8 inches long and isn't too bulky. You'll have to feel about on the top of the stepper motor as you can't see the screw at all. Will take 2 weeks for my arm and neck to recover. Silly thing is that the screw takes 3 turns and it's out! will take a picture of the stepper motor out as it may help someone doing the job in the future.

Here's a link to the graphic of the stepper motor housing unit.

http://storeandshare.sky.com/invite/...5&r=mg&lang=en

I will also do a forensic on the FSU and post the information on the relevant forum topic.

Last edited by moorbygp; 05-04-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: additonal info
Old 04-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofishkie View Post
Any tips on replacing the FSU? I'm having trouble with the tab. It's hard to push down the tab and pull out the unit at the same time.

Thanks.
This was the toughest in my case also.

What you need to do is pull the tab outward, then pull it down. Just pulling it down is not going to work. It is clamped securely at the lip of the FSR. The tab is quite stiff so I improvised a tool to pull the tab out before pulling it out.

Here's a photo of the tab. Look how it is clamped-in to the FSR:

Here's a photo of the tool I improvised. It acts as a fulcrum. Push it in and pull the tab down:

It took me a while to get it out but it worked.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:33 PM

Put unit in today. everything works fine. Unit was 20 from ebay. So lots of money saved here!.

And, here is what I measured between each pin and ground (the FSU body):
#1: Old FSU = 6.6 ohms, new FSU = 10 ohms
#2: Old FSU = 0 ohms, new FSU = 1000 Kohms
#3: Old FSU = 0 ohms, new FSU = 900 Kohms
#4: Old FSU = 0 ohms, new FSU = 600 Kohms
#5: Old FSU = 0 ohms, new FSU = 1674 Kohms

Last edited by moorbygp; 04-27-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: correct the information
Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318Ci
FSU and Stepper Motor on Right Hand Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorbygp View Post
Right Hand Drive FSU

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one difficult job from Sept 2000 onwards on RH drive models. You'll know if it has a black motor housing in front of the FSU. The stepper motor has 2 screws one being in the most imposible place to get out. One screw one takes 30 secs to get out, the second 2 hours!!!! You need a 20 torx that is about 6-8 inches long and isn't too bulky. You'll have to feel about on the top of the stepper motor as you can't see the screw at all. Will take 2 weeks for my arm and neck to recover. Silly thing is that the screw takes 3 turns and it's out! will take a picture of the stepper motor out as it may help someone doing the job in the future.

PS Got some pictures of the stepper motor and housing unit but need somewhere to post them. Can anyone help out?

I will also do a forensic on the FSU and post the information on the relevant forum topic.

You are right, this is a very difficult job on some Right Hand Drive cars due to the stepper motor in front of the FSU!

Many thanks to the people who have posted advice on changing the Final Stage Resistor, without which I would not have gotten this far. My new Resistor has arrived and I have disassembled the car up to the FSU but cannot remove the stepper motor. Unfortunately I think I have broken part of the stepper motor. There is a small rectangular plug that should be pressed and then pulled out of the stepper motor, but I have pulled the plug together with part of the round piece off the base of the stepper motor. It has exposed about 4 silver pins and what looks like very fine copper wire. I have done a search on RealOEM and the stepper motor part seems to be called a 'positng. drive, fresh air recirc. (Part 64116934823)'. Does anyone know more about this part and where it is available from in the UK?

Any help on this would be most appreciated.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:16 PM

I can get you one (64116934823) from the local dealer. You can pay me by paypal if interested. The cost from the dealer is 48.00 and I can post for 2.00. I am going to dealer on Tues next to pick up a housing unit and have checked and they have one. Let me know if interested as it seems a bit expensive.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318Ci
Thanks Moorbygp for offering. I have an Auto Electrician coming round on Saturday to check the car over and if I have broken the stepper motor I may have to take up your offer. I think that part is only available from the dealers too.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320td
Hi Everyone, I just wanted to thank you all especially Elvis530i for the great step by step instruction which was exactly what we needed!!! My brother drives an 520 from 2001 and he 'recently' (a few months ago) started having this same problem, we even got to the situation where we had to de-connect the battery every time we left the car alone for more than an hours as otherwise it was draining the whole battery so we weren't able to start the car. He took the car to a handful service in our area but none of them were even able to recognize where the problem could lie so we started to search around for this problem and then he found this forum which was exactly about what we had with the car. Yesterday he ordered the "Replacing the final stage unit/blower motor resistor" using the Part Number: 64 11 6 923 204 and the supplier found it immediately and delivered in one day to us (just today), the price was around $75 and we just finished replacing the old part (which by the way was a bit tricky but with the help of the above pics was easy) we managed to change it just under 20minutes and everything works perfectly now.

So again, thanks a lot Elvis530i for this! and for everyone in the community to provide us with these possibilities/information!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 330 CI SMG S
FSU Replacement - Easy!!!

Thanks to this posting I was able to troubleshoot my AC problem and save lots of money on my325I. After reading it I decided to buy a FSU and give it a try. It worked and my AC is back in business. Thanks everyone. It was a 2 hr job, I give it a 5 as for difficulty. It is just a hard place to get to. Thanks again. RGJR
Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: 540i 6 speed
well looks easy .my car is doing the same thing.going to the parts store tonite
Old 05-08-2009, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: E39
Finished this up this mornig before I left for work. It was my first attempt and took 29 minutes start to finish. The only tool needed is a philips screw driver. I feel confident I could now do another one in 15 minutes. Part was $80 shipped from Bimmerzone so I don't get how the dealership wanted $220 to make the fix.

Once again, the internet saved my bacon (and $140)!
Old 05-09-2009, 05:36 PM
craayzie

Send a message via AIM to fleshins
Mein Auto: '03 540i/6
Just did mine. It was pretty painful in the beginning. Took me nearly 30 minutes to get the friggin plug off. My fingers are still sore from trying. After that it took me maybe 10-15 minutes to figure out how to put the new one back in. A flash light could have definitely helped here. Total time was probably an hour and a half. WELL WORTH IT!

Elvis530i is THE man.

Best body position that worked for me was scrunching myself beneath the glovebox, back/shoulders on the floor, butt up against the seat and legs straight up in the air against the seat back-rest. fun
Old 05-26-2009, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 525
Bmw 525

The blower from my a/c blows but the speeds doesn't change. Any ideas on the what problems may be?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 525
Bmw 525

I priced a blower motor resistor at napa for 129. Where do you get your resistor for $70?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: Kansas/Missouri/Iowa/Nebr
Blower Motor Resistor fix 2002 X5

Thank you so much for this post and all of your diagrams. They are perfect for what you need to do to replace this item. I have a 2002 X5 w/ 117k miles and have had similiar issues. Most of the time it was in hot weather and the blower seemed to just stop blowing air (or very little) even when it was on the max speed. Then it would work normally. I could never figure it out or find any information on it. I asked my mechanic and they said I would have to bring it in when it is malfunctioning. Well, it's so random how do you drop everything, take it in and hope it does it again. So I lived with it until I found a comment from Edmunds.com on electrical issues for my model with the blower motor resistor. I did some searches on this website and found your blog. Well, 20 minutes later and $86.50 and I'm back in business! Thanks again! I've always been a German car fan and will keep mine for a while. I also have a 2006 Porsche Cayman S. I love them both.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i
Smile Don't throw out resistor until trying reinstall

Hey Elvis530i,

Thanks for your advice. My blower just stopped this afternoon. The mechanics said that because the fan didn't start at all, even at the highest level (which according to them "bypasses"the resistor), that the blower is likely burnt out $1000 replacement. After reading your article I pulled out my current FSU to check if new or old (2002 530i) and found it to be the newer model. I blew it off and reinstalled it to make sure all connections were solid - guess what - started the car and the blower works normally. Note to self - check connections.

Your posting was huge!!

Cheers

Kiwikid.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 03 525i
Thanks!

Excellent post! Paid $73 for the part from autohaus (June 09) and did the repair in under 15 minutes, and that included straightening out the wires on the XM radio unit. Many thanks!
Best, MP
Old 06-25-2009, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 540i 2001
I went to take mine out and it was too hot to even touch. Drained the battery a few days earlier.

Thanks for the write up. Glad I replaced it before my car ended up in flames.