Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 09-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Stimulus Package

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
I just want to wake up this old thread with a few questions.
(My FSR works fine so far):

1. How often does this FSR fail at 100K miles? 10%, 40%
2. Has anyone had the Original FSR at let's say 160K miles?

3. I hate to get stuck somewhere away from home with no AC Heat...so sould I buy the FSR for $70.00 and store it in the glovebox? or just change it out anyway considering that I have close to 100K miles???
It seems to die on everyone sooner or later.
2002 530i | Black/sand | Rondell Style 81s: 18x8.5 Front 18x10 Rear | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro-Kit | Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors | Axxis Deluxe+ Brake Pads | StopTech SS Brake Lines | 50w 6000k Xenon Lows/LED Fogs/Phillips Luxeon LED DRLs | Angel i Brights v3.0 | Solaris Invisibulbs | Shadowline Trim | ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler | 35% Madico Tint | Dynavin D99+ ///M3Evolution | Backup camera | Intake Muffler, Front Plate, Badge & Cup/Coinholder Delete | Klasse AIO+SG
Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM
VA makes me miss WA

Mein Auto: 2001 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis530i View Post
It seems to die on everyone sooner or later.
I just did mine last weekend and Im at 35k miles.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
I just wanted to say THANK YOU, Elvis!

I replaced mine this afternoon in about 15 minutes with your instructions. The only tricky part was getting the bugger back in - it didn't want to go at first.

I have to ask, though - how the heck did you guys do it? I'm a pretty small chick and I had trouble moving around in the footwell and getting my hand up there. I'm pretty sure my fiance would have ended up with bloody knuckles He says "thanks" for saving him the headache
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Thanks Elvis530i

I was just going to take my 325 into the dealer, and get ripped, until i came across your post. Thanks for the Pictures!
Joined the community today, this is a great help.
Ordered the FSU online, Gone up some since your post now $80.12 delivered from BMW Parts Direct.
Soon as i get the part, and install, my possessed fan will be normal i hope.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 02 525i
Thanks for the pictures

Elvis,
Thanks for posting this. I had the same problem, uncontrollable air flow that was annoying but livable until i discovered my battery dead one morning. My local mechanic couldnt figure out the problem and said i should suck it up and go to the dealer. I found your post and bought the FSU and it fixed the problem. Had trouble getting the plug off, I had to sneak behind it and lift up one of the tabs with a flat screwdriver to get it to release..little tricky (didnt want to break it) but your photos made it so easy. Thanks for sharing! The power of the internet! 2002 525i
Old 11-03-2007, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330Ci
Replace FSR on 2001 330Ci

This is a follow up to the post by juicy5. I found that post very useful when I swapped out the FSR on 2001 330Ci last night.

The whole thing took me two hours, including stopping to take pictures. The tools I used were a Phillips screwdriver (from the trunk tool kit is fine, better to use a magnetic one), a T20 torx bit (optional is a T40 torx bit) and a flashlight.

Procedure:

1. Remove glove box.
a. There are two brackets on the bottom of the glove box. Remove the two Phillips screws per bracket.

b. Open the glove box.
c. Remove the three Phillips screws along the bottom.
d. Remove the three Phillips screws along the top.

e. Pull glove box towards the rear of the car. Also wiggle side to side a bit to make it easier.
f. Remove the two wiring harnesses. One is for the glove box light. The other is for the flashlight charger.

2. Remove flat black plastic piece (I believe this is the passenger knee protector).
a. No hardware on this one. Pull the right side towards rear and push the left side towards front. Do this in a twisting motion.
b. Disconnect the wiring harness for the footwell light. I had to pull fairly hard on the connector to get it out. Remember to pull on the connector and not the wires. Reconnecting later was much easier.

3. Remove black plastic round piece (I believe this is one of the air distribution motors).
a. Unclip the bottom. Then push down the tab on the top and pull.
b. Disconnect the wiring harness.

4. Disconnect (but don't remove) the black plastic piece attached with two torx screws. It is also attached to a plastic linkage that should not come out. Just remove the two torx screws so the piece can be pushed to the side. This will allow access to the FSR. One of the torx screws is on the bottom right and the other is on the top left. The torx bit needed is T20.

top_left_torx-low_res-markings.jpg"/>

5. Remove FSR.
a. Disconnect wiring harness. There are two clips that are like rocker switches, one on top and one on bottom of the connector. Push those clips down and pull straight out. Again, pull on the plastic connector and not the wires.
b. The same tab that is on the 5 series is on the 3 series. Push that out of the way and pull the FSR straight out. Once it gets moving continue to pull out and start pulling down a little bit.

6. Replace FSR with new one. Follow steps in reverse and that's it!
a. I had some trouble pushing the new FSR in all the way. First I pushed it in halfway to where it was aligned in the hole properly. Then I used a T40 torx bit (only because it was large and flat, nothing specific to that bit) to push on the plastic screw hole and it went right in. I just needed the extra leverage.

Thanks to everyone who did this before and posted here. It was fun and MUCH easier with your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glove_box_bracket-low_res.jpg
Views:	8755
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	126049   Click image for larger version

Name:	glove_box_open_center-low_res-markings.jpg
Views:	8361
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	126050   Click image for larger version

Name:	glove_box_open_left_side-low_res-markings.jpg
Views:	8468
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	126051   Click image for larger version

Name:	glove_box_open_right_side-low_res-markings.jpg
Views:	8347
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	126052   Click image for larger version

Name:	glove_box_wiring-low_res-markings.jpg
Views:	9086
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	126053  

Name:	passenger_knee_protector-low_res.jpg
Views:	8305
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	126054   Click image for larger version

Name:	air_distribution_motor-low_res.jpg
Views:	8735
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	126055   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom_right_torx-low_res-markings.jpg
Views:	8187
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	126056   Click image for larger version

Name:	top_left_torx-low_res-markings.jpg
Views:	8242
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	126057   Click image for larger version

Name:	FSR_connector-low_res-markings.jpg
Views:	9196
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	126058  

Name:	FSR_tab-low_res-markings.JPG
Views:	9071
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	126059   Click image for larger version

Name:	FSR_new_old-low_res.jpg
Views:	12257
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	126060  
Old 11-05-2007, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
This worked beutifully

Just wanted to express my sincere thanks. I ordered the part from Autohauz and it came quickly. I spent 15 minutes and replaced the part, my AC and heat are once again working. Hats off to you for your valuable information..

Luvabmw530
Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 92' 325i Sedan
Yes very good DIY for FSU - Thanks a ton.

K
Old 11-12-2007, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 3231 sedan
thats what i call great help. i have a 2000 323i sedan I'm assuming it's the same process.
what do you think

john
Old 11-18-2007, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 320d e91 touring
Thank you very much for this post it has helped alot the only problem i had was that my car is a uk spec and ithe resistor was on the drivers side it was abit tricky gettin around the pedals took me about 40 mins but the main thing is its soughted thanks to you, the car started next day fine no battery dying anymore x
Old 11-19-2007, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 318ti
I have ordered a replacement final stage resistor and it has no labels on it. It looks the same as the replacement resistor as in the pictures.
Is it an original BMW part and who is it manufactured by?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
After 60,000 km, my FSR finally failed (or it has been busted for awhile).

I took it to the service department and had it fixed in 5 minutes. I wish that I would have been paying attention and found this thread.

I paid $185 for this fix...

But hey, it works now, just in time for me to trade in my car.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 5 series 520i
Talking

i,l give it a go and thanx 100% just got to order the part dont know where from but still i,l give it a go
Old 11-24-2007, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Thanks for the post and excellent pictures. Unlike all of the other people in the threads I was unable to complete the task and had to drive 2 hours to the dealer for completion. My car is a 2002 530i. I was able to remove the side panel and panel below glove box. Also unplugged connector from the FSU and loosened the FSU from the receptacle by pushing on the retaining clasp. I could move the FSU 4-5 mm but it hung up on surrounding ducts and blower parts. I moved it in all directions but with no success.

The technician at the BMW dealer was able to remove it in seconds. He stated I needed to push the FSU up (toward the sky) and then rotate it slightly to allow it to come out. No further parts were removed by him.

He then told me that no diagnostics were necessary as almost all fan problems are related to the FSU. They charged me for the part and 20 minutes of labor. (seemed honest and fair).

I hope this can help some of you if you also have trouble getting the FSU free of surrounding structures.

Regards,

Bill
Old 11-25-2007, 02:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 530iA Sport Jan/02 mfg
Hi guys, I am new to bimmerfest. I know it's an old thread, but THANK YOU ALL for the detail instructions. I replaced the FSU today and hopefully it would fix my battery drain issue.

However, my "Max Cold" button still doesn't work. I think it's another issue with my CC control panel. When the CC is off, and I hit Max Cold, CC is turned on, but not to Max. When the CC is on, and I hit Max Cold, CC remains unchanged (not going to Max either). My car is an 02 530i. Any tip would be appreciated. ^.^
Old 12-09-2007, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2000 528i 5-speed
Cool Another Satisfied Troller

Elvis, thank you so much for putting up such a detailed explanation with clearly annotated photos. I just replaced the FSU in my 2000 E39 528i with 105k miles on it, but the AC had been acting up for several months. I just discovered your write-up here yesterday. With winter rolling in here in Northern Virginia and a road trip tonight I had to pay the dealer price of $115 yesterday instead of $70 at bavauto.com (part no. 64 11 6 923 204), but it was a pretty easy DIY because of your help.

Parts guy at dealer said this is the number 1 replacement part they sell for BMWs - can you spell "design flaw?"

Anyway, thanks again - nice work. Still helping BMW owners over 18 months after your original post!

Cheers,
Digitalis
Old 12-16-2007, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 98 528i
I woke up to a dead battery this morning. This is my second dead batt since last winter.The new batt would die from time to time. Today was the last of it and I had to buy another batt this morning. I notice that the fan inside of the climate control panel is running with the car off (see pic). Is this the fan that everyone is talking about in this thread? I'm not sure about that. My fan does not blow very strong at its highest setting. I am thinking if this could be the fsr also. I do not have these intermittant issues or the fan not working at all like most in this thread. Anyone have the same problem as me?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC 002.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	130110  
Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto: 02 530iA Sport Jan/02 mfg
devroots,

seems like it's your FSR.

do a draw test with your battery using a 20A multimeter. it should pull around 450mA when the car is first armed, after 15 min it should become around 20mA. If it doesn't do these, check whether your a/c fan blowing. If it is blowing >> FSR is bad; if it is not blowing >> either FSR intermittently not working or you have another draw from else where. then you have to pull fuses to dig futher.

to make the story short and not to waste too much of your time (because FSR does fail intermittently all the time). if you know the FSR is old (or if you don't know, take it out to see if it is the old model, which is longer), simply change it for $70 if you get it online. if it doesn't fix the issue, then you have to dig further.. good luck to you.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdunke View Post
devroots,

seems like it's your FSR.

do a draw test with your battery using a 20A multimeter. it should pull around 450mA when the car is first armed, after 15 min it should become around 20mA. If it doesn't do these, check whether your a/c fan blowing. If it is blowing >> FSR is bad; if it is not blowing >> either FSR intermittently not working or you have another draw from else where. then you have to pull fuses to dig futher.

to make the story short and not to waste too much of your time (because FSR does fail intermittently all the time). if you know the FSR is old (or if you don't know, take it out to see if it is the old model, which is longer), simply change it for $70 if you get it online. if it doesn't fix the issue, then you have to dig further.. good luck to you.
I bypassed all the bull and purchased an FSR today from a local German Auto Parts store here in Brooklyn. It came to $77.00 with tax. I will install it tommorrow after work.
Thanks for your input.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:41 PM

I installed the fsu & the fan shuts down when the car goes to sleep. The blower works 100% now. I have had this problen for a very long time. Thanks to everyone for their input to this thread.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 540I
Final Stage Unit

Wow,
Didn't think I could handle this task, but after reading these instructions everything went smooth and trouble free.
Glad to keep my money in my pocket and out of the BMW stealership! Blower/climate control good as new with the newly installed FSU.

Thanks to this wonderful forum
Old 01-26-2008, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: 530d Touring E39
Another satisfied customer

Fantastic write up, thanks!
Note in the UK it is the drivers side footwell
Old 01-30-2008, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 92 325i, 00 528i
I think I might have the same problem. My blower sounds like it is pulsating when the heat is on, blows hard for a second then soft and then hard again, until the car heats up. I also had a dead battery the other day after the car sat for three days. The battery was just replaced in September. Do these symtons sound familiar to anyone who has replaced the FSU?
Old 02-03-2008, 02:32 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 520ise
CHEER`S ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON, TOOK ABOUT 45 MINS, NOT EASY WHEN YOU ARE 19 STONE
Old 02-08-2008, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 520i SE
Ahhh I can't budge the tab/lever holding the unit in (UK the FSU in the foot pedal area)

Any ideas?