Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2006: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2006: Santa Barbara, CA
April 8th has come and gone. See the pictures and read the stories of Bimmerfest 2006!

Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 E90 M3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbeam
Honestly, I think the people here would scare more enthusiests away from bimmerfest then police presence. But as long as bimmerfest is more about the friends than it is about the other cars and other owners, I won't stop going, until they stop going.
I agree! I met a great group of BMW enthusiust that I've been hanging out with the last 2 weeks. I am definetly moving out here from MA & am looking forward to more Bimmerfests & BMW get togethers. I would never have met this great group of people if I didn't attend Bimmerfest!
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Old 04-24-2006, 12:08 PM
USMC ProCivEng

Mein Auto: '03.5 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Some day we may end up moving the show to Las Vegas.
Unfortunately, for the time being, there's not too much that
we can do (that we haven't already done)...

Jon,
I didn't get to attend Bimmerfest, but I like SB better. And FWIW, LV/NLV/Henderson/Clark County/NHP PDs/SD can be aggressive at times.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnewhite
Jon,
I didn't get to attend Bimmerfest, but I like SB better. And FWIW, LV/NLV/Henderson/Clark County/NHP PDs/SD can be aggressive at times.
Yes, I agree if it leaves Santa Barbara it will be very sad. Even with this year's early morning drizzle... I don't think you can beat the weather in SB. It turned out to be a fantastic day. For sheer convenience Santa Barbara works very well for me also. But of course this is selfish reasoning and I would understand if it needs to me moved elsewhere. Sounds like plans for a new Vega$ location have already been put in motion?

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)

Last edited by JonathanIT; 04-24-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Sounds like plans for a new Vegas location have already been put in motion?
Not by any means... My mentioning it is merely my thinking out loud to the future, once we outgrow Santa Barbara...

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 04-24-2006, 06:40 PM
The only cars to drive...

Mein Auto: 2002, 3.0 CS, Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Not by any means... My mentioning it is merely my thinking out loud to the future, once we outgrow Santa Barbara...
The Salt Flats.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 2.3/K1200RS/K100RT
[QUOTE=mrtm2004]
Again, I was doing nothing illegal and was not speeding. My windows were down the whole time & she comes & askes me why I got pulled over. She said no front plate. I told her that AZ doesn't have front plates. She then asks me to roll up my window on my passanger side. She had me bring it up 1/ 2 way. Then tells me my tint is illegal. My tint is 100% legal in both AZ & CA. Then she sighted me for my sticker on my license plate was not updated (I had my brother overnight the sticker to me from AZ). Yes the updated reg. sticker was correct. But I was from out of state & almost every car we saw pulled over were from out of state. THAT is not right! In general if CA wants to make THEIR laws supercede all other state laws, then basically they are telling everyone from other states, stay out of CA. To me that is the WRONG message to be sending. The CHP I got to sign off the "Fix-it" ticket was being even more of a jerk about it too. I was not rude or impolite. He told me that I should have gotten the full fine for no front plate. I told him that I never received a front plate because I picked my car up from the dealership & it only had a rear plate. He told me that he knows AZ gives out 2 plates, becuase his brother is a Chandler, AZ cop. I said I understand, but I received my car with only 1 plate & still don't have the other one. Then he told me that my tint is still illegal. There was a car next to mine with darker tint with CA plates.

fyi, having any tint on the front windows is illegal in CA no matter how light it is. Even the clear UV blocking film is illegal, but they'd never notice that. Also the "I didn't have a front plate when I got the car" reason doesn't work because the DMV can issue two new plates for a $16 dollar charge. (In CA anyway, not sure what the AZ DMV charges)

DSC: off
Old 04-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtm2004
I told her that AZ doesn't have front plates. She then asks me to roll up my window on my passanger side. She had me bring it up 1/ 2 way. Then tells me my tint is illegal. My tint is 100% legal in both AZ & CA.
I agree with mrtm2004, this doesn't sound right. I think the tint may be illegal in CA, but If the car is registered in AZ it is moot; they shouldn't be giving "fix-it" tickets for these minor violatons. I'm pretty sure the laws about front plates and tint in the CMVC apply to cars registered in CA.

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 04-29-2006, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
You step into CA you have to obey CA laws.

Tint is legal, not so much about shade but which windows you have tinted. Driver and first frow passenger side windows can not be tinted. Rear row and rear windows can be tinted.

Don't get me wrong, I think you guys were unfairly targeted. It was a virtual buffet for CHP. I just wanted to point up some facts I happened to know.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 E90 M3
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
You step into CA you have to obey CA laws.

Tint is legal, not so much about shade but which windows you have tinted. Driver and first frow passenger side windows can not be tinted. Rear row and rear windows can be tinted.

Don't get me wrong, I think you guys were unfairly targeted. It was a virtual buffet for CHP. I just wanted to point up some facts I happened to know.

I understand, but why is it that almost every car I've seen with CA plates have front tint & some of them completely blacked out & don't get pulled over when the cops drive by them? Also, like I stated, my front windows were down the whole drive to Bimmerfest, so they couldn't see the tint until I was told to raise my windows...that's just the CHPs trying to find any little thing to write a "fix-it ticket". Again, go to Arizona & you won't find any car with a front plate as well as I honestly don't have my front plate, the N. Scottsdale BMW dealership most likely does.

What this post is about is getting targeted for being out of state. I also will reiterate that CA's laws basically is telling everyone from out of state, to stay out of the state with their car...to me that doesn't bode well, especialy for tourism.
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs