Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 3.5i, 911C4, C230
My 530i's day at the shop (and clicking noise solved)

So I went to the dealer this morning. Here's my baby being serviced:

And I had this clicking noise from under the drive train whenever I put the car into gear (basically when I first engage the drive shaft). They put the car on the lift, put the car into gear, and then manually turned the rear wheels back and forth (like spinning a record) and they reproduced the sound. They've ordered new a new drive shaft.

In addition, they changed the final stage resistor for the annoying schizophrenic AC blower and then they changed the 2 Poly V belts as a precaution (they were noisy in the morning).

First of all, I can't believe I have a bad drive shaft at 48,000 miles.

But anyway, they're repairing it under warranty (although Vbelts are $200 replacement).

But whilst there I saw an awesome M6. Sorry for poor photo quality - all taken on camera phone.

Advertisement
Old 04-22-2006, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 98 528I, Chev C20
Thank you for posting a possible resolution to the clicking noise, I may have the same problem... When letting out in first or reverse I here a metalic clicking noise, I can also here it sometimes while driving over bumps with the windows down. I am a second owner and my car is long out of warranty - do you know how much the drive shaft replacement would have cost?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 3.5i, 911C4, C230
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSIS
Thank you for posting a possible resolution to the clicking noise, I may have the same problem... When letting out in first or reverse I here a metalic clicking noise, I can also here it sometimes while driving over bumps with the windows down. I am a second owner and my car is long out of warranty - do you know how much the drive shaft replacement would have cost?
You may have this more simpler issue.
You'll need a real diagnosis to be sure:

check out the link below...

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...ory_Code=GUIBO

I don't know how much drive shafts will cost - but I imagine a pretty penny.

He did however say that it doesn't represent a serious performance or safety problem - which I find strange...
Old 04-22-2006, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 98 528I, Chev C20
The GUIBO!! - not the first thing I would have thought of, THanks much for the info as this issue is one I notice everytime I drive!