Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2006: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2006: Santa Barbara, CA
April 8th has come and gone. See the pictures and read the stories of Bimmerfest 2006!

Old 04-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Suggestion for next year: Clean Car Contest!

Attn: Jon

I was thinking that maybe you might consider a "clean car contest" at next year's B'fest. I'm not really into the "modded out" thing (yet)... I'm more into obsessively clean detailing. I've participated in several since I've had the Bimmer: BMWCCA Oktoberfest '04 Concours (placed 2nd in class), Central Coast BMWCCA Clean Car Contest at Monterey Concorso d'Italiano (placed 3rd "Super Clean") and there's an L.A. Chapter BMWCCA Clean Car event coming up in Fullerton in June I'm going all out for!

Anyway, they're really fun for anyone into detailing their ride and I think it would allow a lot more people to "become involved" in Bimmerfest activities. I mean the Battle of the Bimmers is great... but come on, really only a select few highly modded cars have chance. The "stock" category is really just for "classics"... but with a "clean car" contest... any Bimmer can enter (with a little preparation)! It's really fun for new car owners, because they can get their cars looking good with a little less effort and participate.

There are usually three classes:

"Clean" - Body, wheels (sometimes interior)

"Super Clean" - Body, wheels, interior, and trunk

"Concours" - Body, wheels, interior, trunk, and engine compartment

Points aren't added or taken away for mods or "originality"... it's strictly about cleanliness. Maybe for the first year to try it you wouldn't even have to have all three separate classes.. maybe just one "Clean Car" with body, wheels, and bonus points for interior?

Just something to think about for next year's event that I think would really expand the horizons of the great event that is Bimmerfest.

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)

Last edited by JonathanIT; 04-22-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Old 04-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Admin • Owner • Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
We could do this Jonathan; the biggest challenge is the
judging.

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 • The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 04-22-2006, 10:00 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Great Idea
Old 04-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
judging.

Perhaps everyone that wishes to be considered for a specific contest should have a placard in their window and should park in a certain area?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 M3
mmmmm 9 year old cosmo's black paint your ON BROTHA!!!

Lets the games and obsessing begin!

Btw, good idea.

BUt some of the ghetto'd out peeps who showed up this year aka red vert with spinners (those type of people) might be a bit confuesed as they thought this was a "bump your subs thingy "

hehe, I love it
Old 04-23-2006, 06:11 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Old 04-23-2006, 06:16 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
Perhaps everyone that wishes to be considered for a specific contest should have a placard in their window and should park in a certain area?
Or have a specific placard, perhaps? Maybe devise some sort of icon for each contest, create placards with one or more icons, and the participant prints out whatever is appropriate for their needs? The parking attendants could let the judging team know if cars exist in any given section that need to be judged.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Padawan

To make it easier for judging, I think there would need to be a specific area of the lot for those wishing to participate (this is how they did it in Monterey for Concorso d'Italiano)... and they would have to be there by a certain time (maybe even before the general admission gate opens) to park and allow "prep." Pre-registration might even be a good idea to provide just the amount of space. A nominal entry fee to participate wouldn't even be out of line (like maybe $5, even collected separately in advance via paypal to cut down on flakiness and to make it a more serious commitment to participate).

Depending on how many want to participate, in bigger events entrants are broken into "classes" usually determined by the age of the car to make it more fair for judging, i.e. so that a '91 E30 doesn't have to compete against an '06 E90 in the same class. If there are less entrants... all cars are judged in the same "class" by category (e.g. "Super Clean", "Concours") but older cars are given a slight point advantage before judging begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
judging.
Yeah, I realize this would be the major hurdle... like maybe a "volunteer committee" would really have to undertake organizaton a get a commitment from judges. At least three "qualified" judges would be required.

Overall, it is entirely do-able... but I would agree that it is a major addition to the event organizing duties. I'm glad there seems to be interest in the idea! Hopefully, it will keep growing!

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)

Last edited by JonathanIT; 04-23-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Ubergeek

Good ideas Jonathan.

I'd be willing to assist in organizing it.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:13 AM

Im sure Zaino would be a good judge, if hes up to it that is. Like we could give him "free" sponsoring if he judges. "Show/shine brought to you by ZAINO!"

i dunno, just a strange thought for you to chew on
Old 04-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmom3
Im sure Zaino would be a good judge, if hes up to it that is. Like we could give him "free" sponsoring if he judges. "Show/shine brought to you by ZAINO!"

i dunno, just a strange thought for you to chew on
Actually, this is a great idea... car care products manufacturers LOVE to sponsor these kinds of events. After I won 3rd in Class at the '04 BMWCCA Oktoberfest Concours in Pasadena, a box showed up on my doorstep about a month later. It was a "prize package" from Zymol because the event was sponsored by them (a bucket, sponge, carwash and some chamois, but no $10K can of wax ). It was a nice suprise because I didn't even know there were "prizes." The real reward is the plaque, award or certificate given to the winners, it's always nice to have.

--J.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Actually, this is a great idea... car care products manufacturers LOVE to sponsor these kinds of events. After I won 3rd in Class at the '04 BMWCCA Oktoberfest Concours in Pasadena, a box showed up on my doorstep about a month later. It was a "prize package" from Zymol because the event was sponsored by them (a bucket, sponge, carwash and some chamois, but no $10K can of wax ). It was a nice suprise because I didn't even know there were "prizes." The real reward is the plaque, award or certificate given to the winners, it's always nice to have.

--J.
I wish I had a silver car too

jk, im sure hours and hours went into it
Old 04-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Euro M5 and an Alpina B9
This is a fantastic idea! I do like the current format that is being used, but if this becomes a reality next year for judges I can and will be able to bring at least three "specialized" judges to the fold as well as myself. These are all multiple concours winners and do assist and/or will be assisting me in the L.A. CCA Chapter's Clean Car Contest this June.

Jon, let me know if you are interested in me heading up a team. Most of the folks have attended Bimmerfest in the last two years anyway and have this event scheduled on their calendar for next year already.

Let me know if you want to set this up and I will assist.

Cheers,
Ron
Old 04-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroe28m5
This is a fantastic idea! I do like the current format that is being used, but if this becomes a reality next year for judges I can and will be able to bring at least three "specialized" judges to the fold as well as myself. These are all multiple concours winners and do assist and/or will be assisting me in the L.A. CCA Chapter's Clean Car Contest this June.

Jon, let me know if you are interested in me heading up a team. Most of the folks have attended Bimmerfest in the last two years anyway and have this event scheduled on their calendar for next year already.

Let me know if you want to set this up and I will assist.

Cheers,
Ron

--J.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Thats gonna be awesome.....Ill look forward to that if it goes threw....I dont know much, but if theres anything I can do to help woth this, let me know

Last edited by AndrewZ; 04-28-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Aficionauto Detail

Mein Auto: 2008 Dodge Sprinter
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
judging.

Did this judging class ever go down? This sort of thing is right up my alley!

If you are interested in such a class this year (2007!), please let me know.

Last edited by AMDin93103; 10-28-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
judging.
Japaneses with their white gloves are great judges.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
I have but one question about this. Will teh_jev be allowed to enter his Wonder Woman style invisible M3 ?