Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 10-22-2002, 10:23 PM
Into the dark ages

Mein Auto: Mystery MACHINE
MB event

I just returned from a fabulous evening hosted by MB. MB really knows how to throw a party and treat their current customers and potential customers well.

it was an event held at a very nice venue in downtown TO. over 1000 people in attendance. they had valet parking or self serve parking(not bloody likely to valet park my car). upon entering the building via a covered red carpet walk way, MB employees great you and wisk you away to the coat check.

inside there are several areas with live band and great food(roast beef/chinese food/oyster bar with shrimp/dessert area was to die for), not to mention open bar with over 10 different kinds of beers being served, choice of various red and white wines, and martinis.

for entertainment they had several different bands playing in various areas of the building along with mimes putting on shows/jazz bands/blues. you name it, even if you are not into cars they had something for everyone.

but i was there for the cars. so on with the show. got a chance to sit in the new Eclass and i must say it's very sweet, but i find some of the Chrysler like dash board and buttons creeping into this marque. the SL convertible is truly an amazing machine with many first ofs in the industry if i'm not mistaken such as electric brakes with hydraulic as backup. the new CLK/C class and some AMG models were also available for sitting in. all i have to say, those AMG models are quite amazing! i think BMWs M3 and M5 definitely has a contender based on paper specs.

had a great chat with one of the service technicians who represented MB at the event. he gave my friend some very neat insight into how to get ones car serviced at the dealer. he suggested that at 40,000km one should mention a slight shudder in the brakes and most dealers will probably replace the brakes/rotors under warranty no questions asked. of course this is purely against MB corp. practices but it's nice to know. understand that here in Canada BMW does not replace brakes(wear and tear parts fall outside the the service warranty). MB doesn't even have such a warranty and yet they do it! i can't even imagine asking for my brakes replaced under warranty at a BMW dealer.

i hope BMW corp reads this or is aware of such a marketing event. i wish i could speak to a technician in a casual venue such as this and get the low down on the cars, the good the bad and the ugly. i'm sure MB spent over 300K for tonights 4 hour event. maybe it wasn't worth it directly for sales leads, but it sure will spread by word of mouth.

after attending tonights event i get the sense that MB is a far more customer oriented company than BMW. only having driven the SLK i can't vouch for their product but MB will most certainly be on my short list for next vehicle purchase if i can afford one.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:10 AM
Into the dark ages

actually MB covers wear and tear items for the first 2 years or 40,000km.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:55 AM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
BMW will replace the brakes if you ask them, mention a shudder or grinding noise. I've done it twice. In fact, an advisor told me to say that I had a grinding noise if I wanted the pads changed.

BMW events are driver-oriented, not Martini praties. Except maybe the Designworks gig. I don't think they are letting anyone drive the Z9s

When I was in SC at the M5 experience, the performance center head technician (shop foreman) came and answered questions at the dinnner. There were only 5 tables, so that was nice.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 Vectra/04 VW PolO
Re: MB event

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTO
...the new CLK/C class and some AMG models were also available for sitting in...
I sat in the new CLK too and must confess I wouldn't mind owning one if automatic weren't the only available tranny... I don't get that... Even the AMG models are only available with auto trannies...

Quote:
all i have to say, those AMG models are quite amazing! i think BMWs M3 and M5 definitely has a contender based on paper specs.
That's right. On paper...

Quote:
...he suggested that at 40,000km one should mention a slight shudder in the brakes and most dealers will probably replace the brakes/rotors under warranty no questions asked.
Unfortunately, I've never put that many miles on a Bimmer in order to replace brakes/rotors under warranty, but had that done on my former A4. No questions asked. Just walked in and said I knew I needed new brakes/rotors (took a look at them at the tire shop while tires were being replaced. I'd expect the same from BMW...

Quote:
...understand that here in Canada BMW does not replace brakes(wear and tear parts fall outside the the service warranty).
Same applies to Brazil. It sucks!
Old 10-23-2002, 10:41 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci
BMW events are driver-oriented, not Martini praties. Except maybe the Designworks gig. I don't think they are letting anyone drive the Z9s

The only way to survive a visit to Designworks requires a bottle of Martini, I guess
Old 10-23-2002, 10:49 AM

Quote:
...When I was in SC at the M5 experience, the performance center head technician (shop foreman) came and answered questions at the dinnner. There were only 5 tables, so that was nice.
Nate, I think I'll take free dinner over that any day of the week. The ticket to the kind of event you're referring to costs a LOT of money...
Old 10-23-2002, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Baumann

The only way to survive a visit to Designworks requires a bottle of Martini, I guess
Old 10-23-2002, 10:54 AM
I like cookies.

Quote:
Originally posted by ALEX325i

Nate, I think I'll take free dinner over that any day of the week. The ticket to the kind of event you're referring to costs a LOT of money...

It was free for me
Old 10-23-2002, 10:55 AM
I like cookies.

Quote:

Remember, your car was designed there
Old 10-23-2002, 11:01 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:

Remember, your car was designed there
yep, but still don't need to drink half bottle of Martini to be able to say 'Hey, I like that trunk'
Old 10-23-2002, 11:02 AM
I like cookies.

Quote:

yep, but still don't need to drink half bottle of Martini to be able to say 'Hey, I like that trunk'
Where can you get a bottle of Martini?
Old 10-23-2002, 11:03 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Where can you get a bottle of Martini?
give away over at Designworks

EDIT : Sheesh, they are watching us
Old 10-23-2002, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:

EDIT : Sheesh, they are watching us
since this is hijacked already, Alex--do you happen to know or could find the color code for the Individual color "midnight blue"?

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:11 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally posted by atyclb

since this is hijacked already, Alex--do you happen to know or could find the color code for the Individual color "midnight blue"?

I'll be back in a minute
Old 10-23-2002, 11:12 AM
Ex-Dictator

If we are speaking of the same color (Nachtblau Metallic) , the code is 453
Old 10-23-2002, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
If we are speaking of the same color (Nachtblau Metallic) , the code is 453
thank you!

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:27 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally posted by atyclb
thank you!
Old 10-23-2002, 06:46 PM
Into the dark ages

i'll try that...but somehow i don't think it'll work for us Canadians.

as for the technician guy..he works here at a local MB dealer which is great. my friend that actually owns a MB now has a face to the guy working on the car. unless you live in SC and get the car serviced there u really have no clue who is working on your baby...err...car.

Quote:
BMW will replace the brakes if you ask them, mention a shudder or grinding noise. I've done it twice. In fact, an advisor told me to say that I had a grinding noise if I wanted the pads changed.

When I was in SC at the M5 experience, the performance center head technician (shop foreman) came and answered questions at the dinnner. There were only 5 tables, so that was nice.