Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
opinion on 750i

The lease on my 545 is almost up. I am considering ordering a 750i with sport package.
any 750 owners care to comment?
Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
The 7 is more of a cruising car, even though it's fast, it is alot larger and it handles slightly less.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E 46 M3
Double post

Last edited by jjd; 05-06-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:28 PM

Comparison - just drove a 550, 650 and 750 (long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msterzer
The lease on my 545 is almost up. I am considering ordering a 750i with sport package.
any 750 owners care to comment?
I have a 2003 M3 convert. Today I test drove a 550, 650 and 750. For what they're worth, here are my observations. Before I get flamed, none of this is news, - just what I consider to be relevant observations that occured to me (and yes I know this a 7 series forum but I think the color on the 5 and 6 may be relevant):

I think the 750 is the best looking car in the range (except for the M3, which IMHO is still the best looking but they are about to discontinue it). And of course there is no question that its the most luxurious and comfortable car BMW makes. I drove a black on black 750Li with the sport package. The car is sublime. Its quick, handles beautifully and is virtually silent. The car I drove was loaded, as it should be: sport pack, lux ventilated seats, comfort access, even had the rear iDrive. Now, the car is big. I would be getting an "i" not an "Li" but still this is a big, wide car and ultimately there is no getting around that. But, I live in NYC and I am seriously considering getting a 7. It is a huge switch from the M3, but I am pretty tired of the bumps... I didn't feel "special" sitting in the 6 or the 5, but I didn't want to get out of that 7.

The 650 was much more impressive to drive than I expected. It was just as quick as my M3 (though I have a convertible M3 and drove a 650 coupe - an M3 coupe is still quicker) and I would say it handled about as well. It has MUCH more torque than the M3 - so again the car has some everyday, city driving advantages. The car absolutely flies and it feels much smaller than it is. The car I drove had steptronic, sport package and active steering, which I kept wanting to hate (because I had read that I was going to) but I couldn't help but like. It definitely contributes to the car's feeling "smaller". It has a very nice growl to it too. BUT, I was very disappointed with the interior trim. Not in the same universe as the 7 and not even as good at the 550 I drove. There are only 3 interior color choices, and only the black leather comes with black carpets. I don't like any of the trim choices, and the car just feels a bit cheap in the interior. A lot of not so good plastic. Plus, the sunroof only cracks open. I love the look of the 6 and I love the way it drives. But to me it feels like an entry level interior.

The 550 I drove had the sport package and steptronic tranny. It was very quick - noticeably more nimble than the 750 and close to the 650, though without the exhaust note. The interior felt better appointed than the 6 but not close to the 7. It had the HUD which was very cool. The exterior styling isn't great IMO - this one did not have the M aero kit which really helps.

The last car that I was going to drive was the M5 - but the dealer would not let me. Which is stupid. There is a chance if I had driven it I would have bought one on the spot.

At any rate, my point in all this is that I am struggling to figure out why I wouldn't get a 750i sport. It just doesn't feel right because I am not married, do not have kids and currently drive a veritable sports car. What to do...

Last edited by jjd; 05-06-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 f12 was 2010 E63
I currently drive a 2003 745i and in what I hope is in the next few hours pick up my ordered 650i.

I really liked the 745i. It handled so much better than any other four door car I ever had. None came close. I liked it's feature set, I liked it's iDrive, I liked it seats, I liked the fact you could drive it aggressively, it handles as if it were a light car in traffic.

I will miss it's storage, Auto Park, damn good cup holders, the fact I could adjust my passengers seat for them while I was driving, and most of all I will miss carrying four additional people.

So you might ask why did I not stay with the 750i with answer as I almost did. I ended up choosing the 650i for one simple reason. A few years ago I went the BMW driving school. During the class, which I highly recommend, we drove three series, except the last half day. We drove the full range of BMW, Z4, 545, 645 and 760. As you would expect the 760 with its long wheel base was the worst handling of the BMWs. The best was the Z4, the fastest was the 545. The car that was the most fun, the smoothest and a great handling car was the 645. After this experience any time I thought about what I would do when my 745 lease was up the 750 and the 650 were in a tie for my next car.

I actually went to order a 750 but the salesman and the SA who I have known for a while and new my driving interest both strongly suggested I try the 650. They won out. You cannot go wrong with a 750. I wish you luck.

2012 650i xDrive|Vermillion Red Metallic | Cinnamon Brown Nappa Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | ARS | 20" Wheels | Active Cruise Control | HUD | Night Vision | LED Lights | Heated seats | Heated Steering Wheel | Ski bag | Active front seats | Premium hi-fi system | Satellite radio | Plus more

Former ride 2010 Deep Sea Blue 650i
Old 05-09-2006, 11:21 AM

So...

How are you liking the 650 so far?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 f12 was 2010 E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd
How are you liking the 650 so far?
The 650 is a fun car. The drive is quite different. It goes around corners like you cannot believe. On the other hand the 745 drive is smoother. As an example earlier today I went over a set of railroad tracks I normally sailed over with a slight thump with the 745, with the 650 it was quite a bit harsher. Both cars have great suspensions but for different purposes.

2012 650i xDrive|Vermillion Red Metallic | Cinnamon Brown Nappa Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | ARS | 20" Wheels | Active Cruise Control | HUD | Night Vision | LED Lights | Heated seats | Heated Steering Wheel | Ski bag | Active front seats | Premium hi-fi system | Satellite radio | Plus more

Former ride 2010 Deep Sea Blue 650i