Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4 1.6
Help!!Which one should I buy??

hi.I'm 19 years old and I have saved some money in order to buy my first car.I have about 5 grand,but in about one year I'll have about 3 grand more.So,I'm really crazy about bimmers and desperately would like to own one.I really like the E30 cabrio and I believe I could find one in my price range.What makes me hesitate is that the car will be about 15 years old and as a result,I'm afraid I'm gonna have many problems with it.Suspension,brakes will nedd replacement(in order to make the car the way i want it)and the engine will definitely need some "fixing".But in order to transfer it into a good car,I need to change the tranny,the diff and so many other things which i simply can't afford.Besides anytime I speek with sb about it I get the impression that they want to tell me:"pff..don't get it!!It's gonna be a bunch of problems!!".So,what do you think?should i go for the E30,wait until i earn some more money and get an E36 cabrio?Or buy a Japanese little car (used will few miles,goood condition) like Suzuki Swift?I don't know..I'm confused!!
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2006, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 83733i
fwiw:
my 16 year old son crashed his nissan maxima and with the insurance money stepped into an 83733i and loves it.
i'll maintain it until he can.

i'm here trying to resolve a couple of minor issues on the new ride.

whatever you get, you need to be happy and comfortable with your choice but looks and driveability/reliability/maintainability are a big part of any vehicle purchase.

i recommend you get something you can drive that doesn't need a ton of stuff to get it on the road.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmitbm
hi.I'm 19 years old and I have saved some money in order to buy my first car.I have about 5 grand,but in about one year I'll have about 3 grand more.So,I'm really crazy about bimmers and desperately would like to own one.I really like the E30 cabrio and I believe I could find one in my price range.What makes me hesitate is that the car will be about 15 years old and as a result,I'm afraid I'm gonna have many problems with it.Suspension,brakes will nedd replacement(in order to make the car the way i want it)and the engine will definitely need some "fixing".But in order to transfer it into a good car,I need to change the tranny,the diff and so many other things which i simply can't afford.Besides anytime I speek with sb about it I get the impression that they want to tell me:"pff..don't get it!!It's gonna be a bunch of problems!!".So,what do you think?should i go for the E30,wait until i earn some more money and get an E36 cabrio?Or buy a Japanese little car (used will few miles,goood condition) like Suzuki Swift?I don't know..I'm confused!!
In my experience, all cars take time and money to maintain. So, you might as well spend those on what you like. A well taken care of E30 will go indefinitely, so I think that is a great buy. The later E36 was the first computer designed BMW and faced a few quality probs that were non existent on the E30 and the early 5er (E28).
Old 05-07-2006, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: Audi TTR - 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmitbm
with $8000, you can get an Audi A4 (about 1997-1999).
It may has a lot of issue, but some are good. It was my first car when I was 20. Now I am 24, I got the 745Li.

It would be better if you buy European than the Japanese, just because its stronger, safer and more.
good luck! Its your hard earned money, use it wisely.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4 1.6
Thanks a lot guys!Actually,my father has an A4 and I like it.Not crazy about it but it's ok.For myself,i'd prefer a bimmer.Finally,I think i'll go for an E30 cabrio.I'll try to find one with about 160k miles,in good condition.I hope I'll be lucky and won't face lots of trouble with it.Either or else,I don't like the E36s,so they'd be my last choice.The Japanese cars,are definitely not as safe,fast or reputated as the German ones,but i believe that for a university student,which I am,are good enough.So if I don't manage to find an E30 the way I want it,I'll possibly go for the Swift.Thanks anyway.