Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi
Leather Cleaner

I need someone's help here. I tried to use those Armour All Leather Wipes on my Auburn Color leather seats and it has left a white haze on the seats. I've tried cleaning the seats with Zymol Leather Conditioner, warm soapy water and it appears to help but after a while the white haze comes back. Has anyone experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.
Sports, Premium, NAV, Cold Pkg, 18" RF

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ralphg; 05-09-2006 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Better Title Description
Ads by Google
Old 05-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
I'm not sure what the white haze could be- either a residue of some kind from the armour all or possibly a discoloration of the leather itself? In any case, I use the BMW leather cleaner/conditioner, which actually works quite well. I would recommend picking up a bottle of that at your local performance center and see if that helps, and if it doesn't, I would complain to armour all that they ruined your seats!

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007

BMWCCA #350568
Old 05-09-2006, 07:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphg
I need someone's help here. I tried to use those Armour All Leather Wipes on my Auburn Color leather seats and it has left a white haze on the seats. I've tried cleaning the seats with Zymol Leather Conditioner, warm soapy water and it appears to help but after a while the white haze comes back. Has anyone experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.

Your leather is clear coated from the factory and the white haze is from the oils in Armour All coming back to the surface.......I use Woolite mixed 10/1 with water to Woolite as a leather cleaner...It will not stain the color on the leather or damage it in any way....I spray on the seats and with a soft plastic brush use on the real dirty areas then wipe clean....Let that dry for 15 minutes then apply a good leather conditioner...My preference is Poorboys World leather stuff..(link below)

http://www.poorboysworld.com

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 05-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Happy Trails!

Mein Auto: 330xi
I believe Armor-All leather products contain some silicone in suspension. This is probably what is percolating back up out of the leather. A couple of tips:

1. Throw out all Armor-All products.
2. Follow dboy11's advice of water:Woolite 10:1 to clean the leather.
3. Throw out all Armor-All products.
4. Follow dboy11's advice of using a leather conditioner. I use the Leatherique cleaning/conditioning products.
5. If you haven't done so already, throw out all Armor-All products.

I don't like Armor-All (big surprise); I know too many people who've messed up the interiors of their cars with that slime.

04 BMW 330xi 6spd w/Premium,Sport,Winter & Xenon (Sold, sniff)
02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 05-09-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojira-san
I believe Armor-All leather products contain some silicone in suspension. This is probably what is percolating back up out of the leather. A couple of tips:

1. Throw out all Armor-All products.
2. Follow dboy11's advice of water:Woolite 10:1 to clean the leather.
3. Throw out all Armor-All products.
4. Follow dboy11's advice of using a leather conditioner. I use the Leatherique cleaning/conditioning products.
5. If you haven't done so already, throw out all Armor-All products.

I don't like Armor-All (big surprise); I know too many people who've messed up the interiors of their cars with that slime.
That's a great post thanks

The Leatherique line up is great I have that as well....it can be labor intensive to use but the results are worth it...I'm going to be pulling the two front seats out of my 99--540 to re-stuff the foam inside then use the Leatherique process to bring them back to new again....I won't need to dye them just clean and condition

Old 05-09-2006, 06:24 PM

Excellent feedback! I will definitely begin the Woolite 10:1 dilution and clean the seats. Prior to this happening, I was using Zymol Leather Conditioner and it seems to do a nice job. Is Zymol out?

Immediately following this procedure, I am throwing awayALL Armour All Products!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Happy Trails!

Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Excellent feedback! I will definitely begin the Woolite 10:1 dilution and clean the seats. Prior to this happening, I was using Zymol Leather Conditioner and it seems to do a nice job. Is Zymol out?
I know people who use Zymol with no problems; the big thing is not to use too much of it, especially on the seams and stitching. Make sure you get it all cleaned off with a damp cloth afterwards.

04 BMW 330xi 6spd w/Premium,Sport,Winter & Xenon (Sold, sniff)
02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 05-12-2006, 11:31 AM

OK, I used the Woolite 10:1 on my seats and it appears that this fixed the oils from the Armour All resurfacing and it looks great. Thank a lot for the help. This is a great forum!

RJG

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-12-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
OK, I used the Woolite 10:1 on my seats and it appears that this fixed the oils from the Armour All resurfacing and it looks great. Thank a lot for the help. This is a great forum!

RJG
I'm glad that helped you now for a good leather conditioner the one that I use this one

look for his Leather Stuff

Old 05-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Armor-all has got to be the absolut WORST cleaning product. I can't think of one thing their products do well. Stay away from them! : And throw away whatever Armor all products you have.

Zymol works well on leather; I use it myself for the Lexus. My BMW gets the BMW leather conditioner/cleaner, which also works very well. Pick which ever one you like; can't go wrong with either.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy11
I'm glad that helped you now for a good leather conditioner the one that I use this one

look for his Leather Stuff
Man, I've noticed your posts on damn near every question and you always are advertising Poor Boys. Do you own that place/work for them?

Edit: I realize that I may have came across as condescending and I didn't mean to. What I'm wondering is why do you recommend them? Is it your products or do you just use their stuff for a living? If you're a user, why do you think so highly of them? I had never heard of them before this board and am curious as to the quality of their products.

Last edited by misterbeefy; 05-21-2006 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to FalconGuy
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32
Armor-all has got to be the absolut WORST cleaning product. I can't think of one thing their products do well. Stay away from them! : And throw away whatever Armor all products you have.

Zymol works well on leather; I use it myself for the Lexus. My BMW gets the BMW leather conditioner/cleaner, which also works very well. Pick which ever one you like; can't go wrong with either.

Zymol is owned by Turtle Wax, not exactly high end anymore, I wouldnt say its any better or for that matter chemicaly different than AA.

Years ago that was a true statement not just for AA but for all of the products of that type, not so now. While I do not like the high gloss look, the silicones used in their products are no more damaging than those used in every other brand. They made that change over about 10 years ago.

For leather cleaning, a great and cheap product that is highly recomended by pros is a 6 to 1 mixture of water to Woolite .This mix is as good if not better than any boutique branded leather cleaner I have ever tried and I have tried them all, plus you can make 20 gallons or so for 5 bucks and it really works wonders, for conditioners take your pick.

Since just about every new BMW leather is coated its more for your piece of mind than anything else, its not absorbed in anyway.

303 is a good product that claims UV protection, bit too shiny for my tastes, 1Z cockpit premium is my favorite. Now Megs has an interior QD that is top notch and very fairly priced, plus it has the absolute best spray nozzel I have ever seen. I will reuse every bottle I ever buy.

Dont fear Armor All, its a matter of taste, they have some good products and they wont hurt your car.

Google PDS Silicones and get the scoop
Old 05-22-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeefy
Man, I've noticed your posts on damn near every question and you always are advertising Poor Boys. Do you own that place/work for them?

Edit: I realize that I may have came across as condescending and I didn't mean to. What I'm wondering is why do you recommend them? Is it your products or do you just use their stuff for a living? If you're a user, why do you think so highly of them? I had never heard of them before this board and am curious as to the quality of their products.
I have detailed cars as a part time business for the last 30 plus years...in all that time I have used allot of products..about 3 years ago I got introduced to Poorboys product line threw another site ( detailcity.org) I have to say that all of his products do a great job..are inexpensive and available threw the net of which makes it easier to recommend to someone on the net.

He is a X street rodder than developed a line that was designed to be used at shows or at home and very user friendly for beginners and pro's....I talk about his lineup not because I am affiliated with or make anything from it...I'm making suggestion about solutions that can help with the car cleaning and protection issues that I see posted here...Its all from experience that I speak of so hopefully I'm not coming across like a know it all or someone advertising a product line

Old 05-22-2006, 02:47 PM
gashlycrumb

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:
Your leather is clear coated from the factory and the white haze is from the oils in Armour All coming back to the surface.......I use Woolite mixed 10/1 with water to Woolite as a leather cleaner...It will not stain the color on the leather or damage it in any way....I spray on the seats and with a soft plastic brush use on the real dirty areas then wipe clean....Let that dry for 15 minutes then apply a good leather conditioner...My preference is Poorboys World leather stuff..(link below)

Ditto on the Woolite - water mixture. It works great
Old 05-22-2006, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 02 X5 / 01 M3
I use lexol to condition and clean and am very happy with it.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Quote:
I have detailed cars as a part time business for the last 30 plus years...in all that time I have used allot of products..about 3 years ago I got introduced to Poorboys product line threw another site ( detailcity.org) I have to say that all of his products do a great job..are inexpensive and available threw the net of which makes it easier to recommend to someone on the net.

He is a X street rodder than developed a line that was designed to be used at shows or at home and very user friendly for beginners and pro's....I talk about his lineup not because I am affiliated with or make anything from it...I'm making suggestion about solutions that can help with the car cleaning and protection issues that I see posted here...Its all from experience that I speak of so hopefully I'm not coming across like a know it all or someone advertising a product line

That's cool man, and like I said, I wasn't trying to sound rude, just wondering if you were affiliated or actually used the stuff. I feel a lot better about your recommendations know you actually have experience with it. I might give it a shot, as I can't seem to make up my mind which products to go with as far as wax or sealant. I've had lots of experience in the past with 3M's commerical products used in body shops, and some of the Meguiar's stuff as well, but I'm learning more and more each day from all you guys on here. I feel more confident purchasing something that someone here has used vs. someone just hawking their wares because a lot of you guys have had your BMW's from new and invested a lot of money in it and are quite particular about it's appearance. Once again, I apologize if I sounded rude, as I didn't mean for it to come out like that!

Cheers!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeefy
That's cool man, and like I said, I wasn't trying to sound rude, just wondering if you were affiliated or actually used the stuff. I feel a lot better about your recommendations know you actually have experience with it. I might give it a shot, as I can't seem to make up my mind which products to go with as far as wax or sealant. I've had lots of experience in the past with 3M's commerical products used in body shops, and some of the Meguiar's stuff as well, but I'm learning more and more each day from all you guys on here. I feel more confident purchasing something that someone here has used vs. someone just hawking their wares because a lot of you guys have had your BMW's from new and invested a lot of money in it and are quite particular about it's appearance. Once again, I apologize if I sounded rude, as I didn't mean for it to come out like that!

Cheers!
Not to worry there are plenty of tossers trying to push their products threw sites like this, I'm not one....However I would suggest that you visit this site and read (its free) and you will read all about waxes, sealants and allot more!!!

Now for sealants I like Wolfgang's line super wet looking shine and that's what I like...you will see it here at this site.

http://www.detailcity.org

I posted there as Beemerboy

Old 06-19-2006, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 530ia
Guys is this the woolite you all are talking about? http://www.fabriclink.com/Woolite/DarkLaundry.html
Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 PM

Sorry guys,... I want to do the same, but I saw couple of kinds of Woolite .. I dont wanna get the wrong one and cause a bigger problem...
Old 06-19-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflusa2004
Guys is this the woolite you all are talking about? http://www.fabriclink.com/Woolite/DarkLaundry.html

That's the Woolite for dark colors there are two kinds I guess...you want the regular one, looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woolite.gif
Views:	76
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	78580  

Old 06-19-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
That's the Woolite for dark colors there are two kinds I guess...you want the regular one, looks like this
awesome.. thank you so much...
Old 06-27-2006, 09:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jaro
Mein Auto: 05 645CI
well, took your advice, used Woolite and works like a dream.....thanks guys! I thought I had some leather conditioner and no luck...what do you suggest? same stuff for leather and vinyl? different products..?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Excitmnt94 Send a message via Yahoo to Excitmnt94
Mein Auto: '09 135i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris turby
I use lexol to condition and clean and am very happy with it.
amen...Lexol rocks...both the leather cleaner and conditioner.