Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-12-2006, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
tire problems

Just got my 2006 330i, non-sport package, back from the BMW dealership due to emission recall and tire problems. I had complained to the dealership that the tires were cupping on the outer edges and had become increasingly louder over the last 3000 to 4000 miles (current milage 9800). BMW service techs description on service invoice stated "abnormal wear on outer and inner edge of tires with cups on tread blocks causing excessive road noise". The service manager told me that BMW would replace all 4 tires at no charge acknowledging that they suspect a "bad batch of tires on some cars". I was very pleased with BMWs response as I was expecting them to pro rate the expense. The car is now very quiet on the road and drives a lot smoother. Hopefully this information will be of use to owners who are experiencing the same problems. By the way the problem tires were bridgestone turanza el 42 and were replaced with the same brand.
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i, 2006 MCS
we have the Potenza's on our 06 330i (sp, pp, sat prep package). only
about 500 miles on the car to date. rides great, (but wifey and I were driving
chevy 4x4's prior. a burb & colorado).

only complaint - brake dust on the wheels. but heck, I'll deal with that.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Arrive Alive w/ my e92 M3

Mein Auto: E90SG E92M3SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadger
Just got my 2006 330i, non-sport package, back from the BMW dealership due to emission recall and tire problems. I had complained to the dealership that the tires were cupping on the outer edges and had become increasingly louder over the last 3000 to 4000 miles (current milage 9800). BMW service techs description on service invoice stated "abnormal wear on outer and inner edge of tires with cups on tread blocks causing excessive road noise". The service manager told me that BMW would replace all 4 tires at no charge acknowledging that they suspect a "bad batch of tires on some cars". I was very pleased with BMWs response as I was expecting them to pro rate the expense. The car is now very quiet on the road and drives a lot smoother. Hopefully this information will be of use to owners who are experiencing the same problems. By the way the problem tires were bridgestone turanza el 42 and were replaced with the same brand.
good deal, you should have ask for at least one of the older better tires as your spare

Last edited by ase2dais; 05-15-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: Jeep
I just took my 06 330i in for the same tire problem you described. My dealership stated that cupping has been a common problem on the 06 model. They recommended replacing the tires but would not cover any of the expense. It seems a bit outrageous to expect someone to replace the tires after only 9000 miles.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
tire/wheel insurance question

I was told the insurance sold at the dealer only covered cerain things and not damage to tires going over potholes etc. Are there several types/prices sold at different places and where's the best place to compare? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I have the same exact tires on a 2005 325i but my dealership said it is caused by tires not being properly inflated! They considered this a normal issue and would not replace the tires. I check the tire pressure a couple of times a month and I think I had to add air once. I don't even drive the card very hard.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Runflats!
Bridgestone.
No spare
No jack
No place to even put a spare if you buy it yourself
Calling BMW road help won't help as they will tell you
to drive to nearest tire place.

My question is; will BMW roadside come and bring me a jack and tools to replace a punctured tire if I switch over to regular non runflat tires?
This issue really really bugs me and is one of the reasons why I have NOT committed to getting the E90.
I'm planning a long cross country trip, about 2-3 weeks, going from Chicago to Seattle and down the west coast to San Diego, then over to Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and back home. There are places where there is no tire help within 50 miles. And, even if there were a gas station near, the chances of them having tires that TireRack doesn't have on hand are nil.

Plus, now some dealers and BMW reps are saying it may be a defective batch of tires, while some dealers are making customers pay for getting new tires. This is BS.
Either it is the tires or it's not. If it is then the tire maker needs to replace all the tires at no cost to the customer. If the tire wear is being caused by something faulty in the BMW's chassis then BMW needs to address the problem and reimburse or replace the tires affected.

It's time for people to report this tire problem to the NHSTA.
It seems that this premature tire wear can become hazardous to safety.
If the owner is not expecting his/her tires to wear so quickly they may not check them in time and they could have a blowout or loss of traction that could cause an accident.
Yes, I think it needs to be reported. If the NHSTA gets enough complaints they will look into the problem. If it warrantys a recall, they can issue one and then BMW will have to comply. If the problem is defective tires then the NHSTA can issue a recall by the tire maker as well.
Here's the link:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 05-19-2006, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 02 525i
Those worried about simple tire problems should invest a few bucks on a:

12v air compressor $10 @ Walmart

Tire puncture/patch kit $10 @ Walmart

Small well stocked tool kit avalible from many places

Keep these stashed in the trunk and take care of a simple tire puncture yourself

BE THE MAN!

Last edited by 300B; 05-19-2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300B
Those worried about simple tire problems should invest a few bucks on a:

12v air compressor $10 @ Walmart

Tire puncture/patch kit $10 @ Walmart

Small well stocked tool kit avalible from many places

Keep these stashed in the trunk and take care of a simple tire puncture yourself

BE THE MAN!

Walmart?
I have to go to Walmart to make sure I'm safe driving my BMW?
Yeah, good plan.

Point is, this RFT scenario is BS to begin with. BMW really needs to rethink it.
It save BMW money, but costs the customer more in time and effort.

I'll be the man. This is part of the reason why I haven't decided on going with BMW again. I'll vote with my money. BMW is doing a lot lately that irks me.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
BE THE MAN!!!! I am going to be out over $1000 in tires and according to BMW this will occurr once a year! I have two tire gauges and check tire pressure often.This is an issue of tires being improperly matched to the car and the consumer should not have to pay!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7KRM

My question is; will BMW roadside come and bring me a jack and tools to replace a punctured tire if I switch over to regular non runflat tires?
No and there is no reason they should since you went off spec.

If you are stuck, they may tow you to a BMW dealer however.

If the truck that shows up happens to have a jack (and most tow trucks don't), then they might.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 05-22-2006, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
what tire problems r u talking about 7krm? i don't think it's neccessary to issue a mandatory recall by nhsta bc a bad batch of tires were produced. i have the exact same tire as badger and am 100% satisfied with the performance of the tires after 12k miles on them. a bad batch will happen every now and then to any tire manufacturer not just bridgestone or rft. i'd rather prefer rft to traditional tires bc i'm at risk to change a flat tire stranded along roadside, not to mention the possible loss of control in a sudden blowout on the highway. pack a spare if ur concerned about ur cross country trip and how often to u take these cross country trip for it to be an issue?
Old 05-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Dog fight anyone?

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i & '06 330i
The biggest problem with the RFTs is availability. Should anyone with a 330i SP need a new rear tire Bridgestone Potenza RE050 (255/35/18) there is currently a several week wait to get one. TireRack.com told me if I ordered one now, I could have it in six weeks....

This is simply unacceptable... a tire model that is an OEM stock part should be readily available. And if Bridgestone does not have production capacity to meet customer demand for a part BMW has selected to be a stock component, BMW should find an alternate supplier.

Last edited by x3Bruin; 05-23-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec
what tire problems r u talking about 7krm? i don't think it's neccessary to issue a mandatory recall by nhsta bc a bad batch of tires were produced. i have the exact same tire as badger and am 100% satisfied with the performance of the tires after 12k miles on them. a bad batch will happen every now and then to any tire manufacturer not just bridgestone or rft. i'd rather prefer rft to traditional tires bc i'm at risk to change a flat tire stranded along roadside, not to mention the possible loss of control in a sudden blowout on the highway. pack a spare if ur concerned about ur cross country trip and how often to u take these cross country trip for it to be an issue?
I think you need to read or reread the starter to this thread. That should answer your question. "known problems" with tires is an issue and that is what the NHSTA is there for. They can investigate and determine if there is a problem instead of anectodal evidence, such as yours, that everything is fine with your car and tires.

In the vast majority of recalls, the majority of owners of the vehicle being recalled typically suffer no problems that they are aware of. That's the whole point of a recall investigation, is to determine how extensive a problem may be. If it is deemed to have a great potential then the NHSTA makes the determination based on investigation.

Your comment that you are "at risk" to change a flat tire is really funny. You feel getting a flat and having to change it puts you "at risk"?
But, the fact that the tire may faulter on it's own is acceptable because your car is ok?
That makes no sense to me, but ok. Go with it.

I don't like RFT's. I would rather change my own tires. That way I know it's done.
I would rather be able to fix a repairable puncture than to have to buy tires from a very very limited selection. BMW jumped the gun on this one and they should have had the RFT's offered as optional thus satisfying those who are 'at risk' for changing a tire and those who would rather.

As far as trips, I take them quite often. Granted, this trip will be quite long, the longest.
I'm quite happy with modern tire manufacturing as punctures seem more rare than years ago. And, I've never had a blowout.
Yes, I would carry a spare if BMW had left a space for it instead of making the space a little cubby hole and then telling me it's added "storage".

Last edited by 7KRM; 05-23-2006 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3Bruin
The biggest problem with the RFTs is availability. Should anyone with a 330i SP need a new rear tire Bridestone Protenza RE050 (255/35/18) there is currently a several week wait to get one. TireRack.com told me if I ordered one now, I could have it in six weeks....

This is simply unacceptable... a tire model that is an OEM stock part number should be readily available. And if Bridgestone does not have production capacity to meet customer demand for a part BMW has selected to be a stock component, BMW should find an alternate supplier.
At least you're not "at risk" to have to change a flat...cause you can't go anywhere without tires.

I agree, it sucks and it's stupid. I can't believe BMW would let this happen.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Dog fight anyone?

Quote:
At least you're not "at risk" to have to change a flat...cause you can't go anywhere without tires.

I agree, it sucks and it's stupid. I can't believe BMW would let this happen.
I think you got it right in your previous post... RFT should have been an option rather than something forced on us.

However, I suspect this technology will improve, the availability problems will slowly resolve as production catches up with market demand and the cost of RFT will drop relative to non-RFT.

The question is when...? But the more manufacturers that start building cars with them, the sooner this will all happen. So from BMWs perspective this is 'potentially' a good technology and the only way to make it better is to have people start using it. Unfortunately, in the mean time, we are suffering the pains of 'early adopters' while we wait... But again, I think the biggest mistake was not making RFT an option... so people could decide for themselves whether they want to get ripped-a-new-one by Bridgestone.

And not foreseeing these kinds of availability problems given that RFT is not an option is, as I said, completely unacceptable.

Last edited by x3Bruin; 05-23-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 01' 330Ci
Bummer Bimmer Tires

I am also a victim on the BMW runflat tire experiment. Cruising along when the "flat tire" light goes red on the dash. Immediately pull over -- check tire pressure with guage -- 20PSI -- and a noticeable bulge (rather large) on the side wall. Drover directly to dealer who told me I would need to BUY a new tire then went on to explain the back-order issue. Thankfully- delar provided loaner (Enterprise) for planned weekend road trip.
I think BMW USA should address this problem if it is so widespread. Thanks for posting link to NHTS -- "Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted. "
Old 05-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Dog fight anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor330
I am also a victim on the BMW runflat tire experiment. Cruising along when the "flat tire" light goes red on the dash. Immediately pull over -- check tire pressure with guage -- 20PSI -- and a noticeable bulge (rather large) on the side wall. Drover directly to dealer who told me I would need to BUY a new tire then went on to explain the back-order issue. Thankfully- delar provided loaner (Enterprise) for planned weekend road trip.
I think BMW USA should address this problem if it is so widespread. Thanks for posting link to NHTS -- "Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted. "
Do you know who's paying for the loaner? BMW or the dealer? While the tire shortage is not directly BMW's fault, they have a responsibility to make sure there are ample spare parts, especially for a consumable/wearable part... I'm curious if they are in fact acknowledging that there is a problem.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 01' 330Ci
Bummer Bimmer Tires

I went through the dealer after calling BMW USA - but do not know if the dealer will pay or will pass the charge on to BMW USA? BMW USA recommended that I call the dealer. The Dealer was excellent - since I was going on the road with a 7 month old baby I would hate to have tire issues on the road. They readily provided a loaner. Speakes well for BMW serice -- speaks poorly for BMW USA to have this issue!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor330
I went through the dealer after calling BMW USA - but do not know if the dealer will pay or will pass the charge on to BMW USA? BMW USA recommended that I call the dealer. The Dealer was excellent - since I was going on the road with a 7 month old baby I would hate to have tire issues on the road. They readily provided a loaner. Speakes well for BMW serice -- speaks poorly for BMW USA to have this issue!

Honestly,how often did you check your tire pressure?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Mein Auto: people crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadger
By the way the problem tires were bridgestone turanza el 42 and were replaced with the same brand.
Nice. We have the same tires on our ES330, and just had the two front tires replaced for radial pull, which is a manufacturing defect. Maybe even the same defect as yours did. I like Bridgestone's performance tires, but their all season tires leave a bit to be desired. As do most any other mfg's all season tires...
Old 05-23-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Walmart?
I have to go to Walmart to make sure I'm safe driving my BMW?
Yeah, good plan.

Point is, this RFT scenario is BS to begin with. BMW really needs to rethink it.It save BMW money, but costs the customer more in time and effort.

I'll be the man. This is part of the reason why I haven't decided on going with BMW again. I'll vote with my money. BMW is doing a lot lately that irks me.
Nothing wrong with purchasing inexpensive items to fix something minor like a nail
puncture bought at Walmart or not(I myself am not too "good" to buy something at Walmart).

RFT's are not BS.
Say your are driving with your kids doing 60-70mph and you experience a severe blowout.What type of tires would you whether have on your car?
Something like a runflat which can maintain control or a conventional tire which can spin you out of control?

Last edited by 300B; 05-23-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:12 PM
i love em bmw

Mein Auto: 2008 accord EX
if you're good at driving, you'll be able to control such blowout.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Neuman
Good driver or not it is an unnerving experience,many panic even BMW owners .Seriously though runflats could of prevented many a tragic accident.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Neuman
how do u define good driving?