Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 550
Safest way of removing bird drops from the car without damaging the surface

any tip or advice on what product to use would be appreciated.
what color seems to attract bird to take a dump on your car? Or is this totally random?
Ads by Google
Old 05-17-2006, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: '07 550i
Best way is to get some toilet paper or tissue (Kleenex type, not shoe wrapping stuff) and get it pretty damp. Lay the damp paper/tissue on the bird drop area, let it sit for a few minutes, then scoop it off. Try to stay away from paper towels, as they may get to be more abrasive.

I believe birds are color blind, so I think it's more of a light and dark issue than color. I think they target everything within the black to white range...
Old 05-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 E39 540i Sport
Tell you what works really well. I use any good quality glass cleaner. Spray it on and let it dissolve the droppings. Then take a soft cloth and gently wipe away without rubbing it into the paint.

Hope this helps.

Chet
Old 05-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
I use my Meguires spray detail mist stuff that I got several bottles of at Bimmerfest several years ago. They gave away so much that I don't think I'll need any for many years to come!

Anyway, I like to soak it with this stuff and try to get it somewhat "floaty" and then gently wipe it up with a soft cloth. I keep a spray bottle of this stuff in the spare tire well along with a few cloths.

Check over at the detail forum, which is where I'll move this post shortly.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Use a quick detailer or wash liquid. When you soak the bird dropping you want to make sure it's lubricated, so you don't create swirl marks when you wipe it away. Plain water doesn't do much more than reactivate the clearcoat etching acids in the bird doo.

I take an old microfiber and cut it into 2" square strips & keep a small bottle of quick detailer handy for just that purpose. When I wipe the bird doo I just throw away the microfiber I used.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: LR3 HSE
Be aware: do not scrub hard when removing bird droppings! Most birds eat sand/pebbles to help them digest food and it gets into the droppings. If you scrub hard it is like sanding the paint on your car. Make sure to follow the advice above and try to get it dissolved with extra water/cleaner before trying to remove them.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
There are a couple of things that you can use....note that you want to dissolve the bomb on the car before wiping it off this will help to reduce down any marring from whatever the bird ate...and also stop the acid from eating into the clear.

My preference is Spray & Wipe made by Poorboys World its a waterless wash that you can use on the whole car...I do....or you can mix Woolite or all purpose cleaner and water 10/1 water to Woolite / APC and that will do the same thing on the bird crap...For wiping off a good micro fiber towel is my choice but any good terry towel will do.....again the trick here is to make sure that its dissolved before wiping it off.

you can get spray & wipe and micro fiber towels at this site

http://www.poorboysworld.com

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 05-19-2006, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2x 07 530i
I have been using pampers sensitive wipes, when out and about.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
I have been using pampers sensitive wipes, when out and about.
I do too and while I was reading the thread I was thinking of posting about using
pampers baby wipes but then people would think I am crazy. I have found them to work
great both on my daughter's bum and my car
Old 05-21-2006, 05:35 AM
Head Alpha Money

Mein Auto: 05' 325iT
I wished I would have knows this information prior to me removing a large dropping that was baked in the sun on our roof. I swear the doo doo ate the clear coat right off the car.

There was a perfect circle where the doo was on the car, it would not come off and was very rough. They must have some serious acid in their systems or something!

Good info to know now though.