Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 08-26-2006, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i6
Smile

bmwsis,
The windshield glass does not remove when removing the rubber seal, the rubber seal is pretty much there to fill in the gap between the body and the windshield. The entire process including cleanup will probably take me less than 30 min if I had to install again. Next time I would start at one of the ends of the seal so I wouldn't have to use a screwdriver to dig out the seal as pictured in my previous posting. This would make the removal much cleaner. Enjoy, Gary
Old 08-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicube View Post
I have a 2002 525i and had the exact same problem. It go to the point where everytime I washed my car, I'd lose 1-2 inches of molding. After calling the local BMW dealership and bitched and complained, they gave me a name of local auto glass place that they use. The auto glass shop owner has a technique that he uses where he's able to pull the old weatherstripping/molding and squeeze in the new one WITHOUT replacing the windshield. It took less than an hour and costed me less than $100 (including the new BMW OEM molding). I must have called about a dozen auto glass places before this one and all said the same. . . .$300+ for a new windshield and molding.
Can you pass along the name, mulitcube? Since you are in the Bay Area, they just might get another customer!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745Li 330i K1200LT TL ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_528isport View Post
Well us midwest folk do not understand a garage kept 2 owner car having this problem... but hey... thats just me..
Personally, I don't understand how any car that costs any amount of money in this day and age can have this problem at all regardless of where it is stored/operated--let alone a premium vehicle that is supposed to be the Ultimate Driving Machine!

I've seen pieces of junk at the junkyard that don't do this. So I say to BMWNA for their feedback on this topic.

Now off to check mine. I spent a bunch of time detailing it the other day and don't think it is a problem but it may have been replaced.

Last edited by Ågent99; 08-29-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:48 AM
PJB

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Glad to have stumbled into this forum. My 97 528, 100k, has had the front seal crumbling for about 2 years and the rear one has lost the top corners and is cracking along the rest of the seal. On an otherwise great car, this looks terrible. Will have the Bay Area guy that Multicube recommended do the change, or will try it myself as it can't look any worse than it is now. Our 86 535i has held up better, our 97 Toyota van has perfect rubber molding, and my wife's ML350 is doing so well that my next car will probably be the E500 wagon, and not the 530xi.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:09 AM

I have a '97 528i and it has the same problem with the front windshield black rubber outline cracking and falling apart. I went to the dealer and they stated that this is purely cosmetic.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo3D View Post
Folks, we need to have this issue addressed. Be sure to click on my small photos above to enjoy the full-size photos of those cracks and missing chunks. No excuse for vehicles that are 4, 5, 6 years old. This should never be an issue, not even if this were a first year production vehicle. My 10-year old Nissan Altima didn't so much as have a hairline crack around the windshield moulding when I sold it....and that car was exposed to the exact same environment as my cracky '99 528i. This is NOT consistent with a manufacturer that prides itself on quality and craftsmanship, is it?

I've sent off an email to Leonora.Vlaovich@bmwna.com asking if there is any BMWNA repair/replacement program in place for issues such as this. I explained that I'm afraid if more chunks start to fall out the windshield may become unstable. I suggest all others join in the inquiry.
You ever hear back from Leonora?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisman View Post
I have a '97 528i and it has the same problem with the front windshield black rubber outline cracking and falling apart. I went to the dealer and they stated that this is purely cosmetic.
I would have looked the guy straight in the eye and said, yes it is cosmetic, yet a core performance problem for BMW.

It is showing that they do not have any sense for their performance and dedication to their customers and I'll buy brand x next time...
Old 08-31-2006, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528iA, Canyon Red
Again, I read these threads and FORTUNATELY, my 97 528i has NO signs of wear...BUT, again, I am the 3rd owner, so I cannot say for sure it has not been replaced. The original BMW sticker is on the glass, and it appears to be original...but it may not be. I wonder if climate/locale has anything to do with it...not that it would excuse BMWNA from any responsibility...just wonder if locale has anything to do as far as how long the inferior products does (or doesn't) last...just curious.

Current Mods:
-Airbox delete
-Sylvania SilverStar bulbs(hehe)
Old 09-03-2006, 10:23 PM
rapman

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
e39 windshield seal

Sent e-mail to Leonora and received a reply that someone would respond within 3-5 days. On day five, I received a FedEx package which contained a BMW Key fob (retail $26.99) and a new Kahki BMW hat. It also contained a letter stating that they hadn't heard of any issues with the seals and parts deteriorate as a normal part of wear and tear. So, I just installed a new seal per the instructions on this forum. Pretty easy! No issues! Not the response I expected on the problem from BMW, but for $36.00 (new seal) and an e-mail, I have a newly installed seal, a new hat and a key fob! Rapman
Old 09-07-2006, 09:51 AM
swinging a big stick

Mein Auto: 03 525iT & 06 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapman View Post
Sent e-mail to Leonora and received a reply that someone would respond within 3-5 days. On day five, I received a FedEx package which contained a BMW Key fob (retail $26.99) and a new Kahki BMW hat. It also contained a letter stating that they hadn't heard of any issues with the seals and parts deteriorate as a normal part of wear and tear. So, I just installed a new seal per the instructions on this forum. Pretty easy! No issues! Not the response I expected on the problem from BMW, but for $36.00 (new seal) and an e-mail, I have a newly installed seal, a new hat and a key fob! Rapman
My car is still under warranty/maint plan so I hope they agree it's a wear and tear item and replace it (have appt in a couple of weeks). If they give me some bs that it's purely cosmetic, I'm gonna blow a gasket.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i
Hi - I really need some advice... I found this thread because I was about to buy a used 320i today but noticed a problem with the windows. It sounds like what you're discussing on this thread. The salesman said (of course) it's nothing, but it was enough to make me postpone purchase until I did some research (car drove like a dream though!) Anyway, here's what I saw: - Should this warn me about this car or is this turning out to be a common BMW problem???
Old 09-13-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratkat View Post
Hi - I really need some advice... I found this thread because I was about to buy a used 320i today but noticed a problem with the windows. It sounds like what you're discussing on this thread. The salesman said (of course) it's nothing, but it was enough to make me postpone purchase until I did some research (car drove like a dream though!) Anyway, here's what I saw: - Should this warn me about this car or is this turning out to be a common BMW problem???
I'd drive up in an Acura TL of the same year/mileage and point to it and ask with a straight face why the Acura does not look as crappy as that BMW.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 540ia MSport Tsilver
what you show in those photos is badly replaced glass as far as I can see. The problem here is that the original rubbers crumble and flake out. Just a wild guess, but looking at that picture, the car could have been shunted (smashed) and those windows badly replaced because the frame lip was not rebuilt well, which is typical in hack shops. Sorry, wild guess....
MSport option 337, body, seats, s.wheel, shadowline, trim
MSport op. 705, st II suspension
MSport op. 204, 3.15 dif/ high stall tq converter
Premium Sound with DSP + Sub
Type 66 wheels 245f 265b
Old 09-13-2006, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileBeem View Post
what you show in those photos is badly replaced glass as far as I can see. The problem here is that the original rubbers crumble and flake out. Just a wild guess, but looking at that picture, the car could have been shunted (smashed) and those windows badly replaced because the frame lip was not rebuilt well, which is typical in hack shops. Sorry, wild guess....
Thanks for the info....I suspected it could have been something like that - the plastic on the passenger door was also a bit loose, so something's definitely wrong.....such a shame because it drove great! I'll just have to keep looking!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 540i6
I am SO glad this information was here.

Thankfully, my 540i6 does not yet have this rubber gasket issue, but my wife's X5 had some major issues with this rubber seal. I used realoem.com site to find the part number. Called BMW dealer and found that this part was updated multiple times and they were able to give me the replacement part.

It took some effort to remove existing seal, since some of the butyl seal for the windshield were stuck on the seal. Clean up also took some time. BTW, installation of the seal was very easy.

I did call BMW dealer to see what it would take for them to replace it and they gave me some outrageous cost for this ~$20 part replacement.

-InCho
Old 09-15-2006, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i6
Smile Duffle Bag

Well I wrote Leonora Vlaovich on Tuesday and today I received a FedEx with a small BMW Duffle Bag (BMW Part 82-11-0-394-747/MSRP $56). I also received a letter from one of their customer reps, Ken Green. Ken said he would "send my thoughts to their upper management to investigate is issue regarding the molding on windshields." Oh well I guess BMW sort of admits to having a problem if they are going to send out comfort items. I wonder what I would have gotten for my radiator issue, hehe. Oh well hopefully this will spark a little flame so BMW can seriously address this problem.
Enjoy,
Gary
Old 09-16-2006, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
at least BMW responds

BMW is nice to respond with something in Fedex. When it comes to piece of Sh*** called Merc Benz, the emails go into a black hole, and when you call they act as if they are doing a favor by picking up the phone.

I own a Merc(ML350), Volvo S80 and recent toy 03 530. My best exp has been with BMW.

I need to go and check the seal on my windshield
Old 09-16-2006, 08:09 PM
The Guru

Send a message via AIM to IanBMW
Mein Auto: 1998 528i, 1988 327i
I was kinda freaking out about this problem. Now I think its kinda foolish, went down to my dealership and picked up a new front one for $36 with tax. Installed it in 5 minutes. Looks great.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

I probably should try installing it myself but made an appointment with Atlas Auto Glass in San Mateo, CA (Bay Area) and they will do the front and back glass for me.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Update:

I got the front and rear molding replaced and they look great!

I paid $100 for both to be installed but there was a miscommunication about the cost.

It is $50 for the front but only if the glass is original as installed from the factory. If it has been replaced, the cost will go up because he'll need to remove the glass in order to get the molding on MOST LIKELY. I guess the factory-installed glass is put on with less glue and it doesn't ooze into the channel where the molding needs to sit. When it is replaced, glass shops will undoubtedly use a fair amount of sealant/glue and it'll ooze to the point where trying to slip the molding on is very difficult without glass removal.

For the rear, removal is necessary due to the depth of the channel the molding has to slip on. This bumps the cost to about $125 due to the extra labor involved.

For folks in the Bay Area, Michael at Atlas Auto Glass in San Mateo is a heckuva nice guy and seems to know his stuff. However, I doubt he'll let another BMW go for $100!

I brought in my own parts (purchased at Crevier BMW) and this was for a 2001 530i. It took about 2 hours for everything to get done.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 3.0
Has anybody in Miami replaced its molding? If so, where and if you recommend the place? Thanks, mine is in a really bad shape, only front.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528IAT
Got mine replaced at Vista in Coconut Creek, I know it's not miami but they did a good job, probably paid more than at glass place though. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a quote from South BMW if it's near you.

By the way have you have had problems with the electric close on the rear tailgate?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 3.0
Thanks for the tip, I will drop by at South to get the quote (probably lots of $$$).
About your question, nope is closing fine, a little hard on the hinges but that's it. Maybe a lube is needed.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Black_528isport
Mein Auto: 1998 528i Sport
Yeah, I gave up on this... I think the only real reason I was in a tizzy about it was the fact that they told me the windshield had to be replaced also. I bought the cover and installed it in under 5 min. Looks 10x better. Oh well you win some you lose some. I'm happiER.
Mods: Will post soon.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:12 AM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvoh126 View Post
If you live in a very hot climate, you will having this problem.
such as any place south of Ottawa.