Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 10-25-2006, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 528i '99
Windshield rubber seal conclusion

Well, after waiting.....and waiting....and calling....and calling....and waiting for return calls from BMWNA I, too decided to run over to my local "Ultimate Driving Machine" dealer (Pacific BMW) and just buy the windshield rubber seal and install it myself! We've already had the first hint of rain, so I can't afford to waste any more time. This does not change my opinion of this situation and how it was handled (or not) by BMWNA. BMW must realize that current owners of these vehicles may be repeat buyers in the future. Yet with something as widespread as this and seemingly not a big deal for dealers to take care of, you'd thing BMW would step up to the plate and offer protection from faulty and defective equipment. Think about this: if BMWNA is unwilling to make good on something as basic as a windshield seal, how would they handle more complicated structural, electrical or mechanical items? Since this is my first Ultimate Driving Machine, I'm not familiar with their customer support policies. But this "ultimately" makes me not want to support them with any future purchase.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:54 PM
NewOwnerLooking4A?

Send a message via AIM to koogie21
Mein Auto: 1998 528i
Well, call me the biggest sissy in this forum, but after many months of analysis of how to fix this bum-f*ck of a problem I got it done!!!

It was super easy and the biggest issue was cleaning out the old rubber and adhesive with a vacuum. Used some Goo Gone to get the sticky stuff out (don't use too much of it though, you don't want to take the windshield off). One tip putting back in the new "COVER": Make sure you line up the top of the "COVER" first before you put down each side. It took a little time but got it DONE!!!!

Might do the rear window soon.....it is showing some effects.

Any people in So-Cal need help doing this, let me know, I like to help.

Koogs
Old 10-29-2006, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 528i '99
Installed windshield rubber seal/cover

Yeah, I successfully installed a new seal just yesterday. The hard part was getting all of the old crappy, brittle stuff safely out of the channel. Little black BITS AND PIECES EVERYWHERE! It took a while to pull up the metal insert portion across the top....couldn't easily get under it to pull. Carefully using a combination of needle nose pliers and a wrapped flathead screwdriver I was able to finally grab hold. Once you have that, you just pull up on it like pulling on those strings to open a FedEx box. One thing that was annoying: I was working in direct (hot) sunlight, so the black substance at the base of the old piece was mushy, sticky and hard to deal with. I realized working in the direct sunlight probably made the material gooey, so I would caution against that direct hot sunlight for anyone looking to do this. Also, the new piece went in fine; I started from one of the UPPER CORNERS first to line up the piece, pressed just that section into the channel, then went over to the opposite corner to make sure that side would also line up (I was able to pull and push the piece a bit while I had that first corner in the channel to align it better....just be gentle with it!) You need to insert the new piece into the channel at almost a 45-degree angle....and kind of roll it in as you apply downward pressure. Study the way the OLD one comes out of the channel and you'll understand better.

One thing I had to do: there are two tiny rubber blocks glued into the channel across the top. When I inserted the new seal into the channel, one of those blocks wouldn't allow the seal to sit all the way in, so I pulled the little rubber block out. Not sure what it's there for, but it didn't seem to matter (anyone have any info or issues with those tiny rubber blocks?) All is flush now. I did pull off those lower triangle rubber pieces at the hood junction for easy lower access. Just be aware that those can be tricky; I nicked a little bit of the fine rubber edging, but not enough to warrant replacing. Just make darn sure when you slide them back in place after installation that you slide the lip of the rubber that runs the length of it under that piece of metal (study how it fits when you first remove it). That lip holds it in place and makes a good seal.

Finally, I took the blunt back end of a plastic knife, inserted it in the channel and ran it along the OUTER EDGE of the entire new seal to press the rubber CLOSER TO THE GLASS windshield. Based on the outline of the old seal still embedded on the windshield it looks like that's where the final position needs to be. This allows a larger trough on the outside; my guess is it allows a larger runoff channel for water to stream down from the roof to the ground.

All told: seal was $44 at Pacific BMW in Glendale, Ca....10% discount coupon made it out the door with tax $43. I used Desolve-It to clean out some of the black goo in the channel, and also to get all that BLACK CRUD off my hands and tools...it is messy! A high powered ShopVac really helped clean everything up and get the brittle pieces out of the channel. And it took me a little longer than 1 hour for the install.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to 98'Kashmere
Mein Auto: 99 540iA sport Blk/blk
I had the same problem with my 1998 528i and Luckily my Neighbor works for BMW here in Houston and changed mine out for the price of the actual moulding and no labor!!

I dont like how they wear soo quickly though!!
Old 11-15-2006, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i (M sport package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo3D View Post
Yeah, same thing with my '99 528i. Chintzy rubber moulding around windshield is totally cracking all around. So bad that chunks fall out upon wiping after a wash. Need to replace ASAP. Maybe the pitted windshield will go, too. You'd swear this car is 20 years old!

Exact same happening to my 1999 540i. Especially falling off in chunks. I had a 1972 Volvo 142 that I was driving in 1996 that had better moulding.

Anybody know of a good place in Virginia Beach to fix this?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
I think any competent auto glass shop can handle it pretty easy. Just bring in your own parts.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528i
1997 528i windshield cover

i bought the strips from the dealer and im wondering if they can be replaced without removing the windshield.any info u have will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:35 PM

1997 528 i

I live in the Ft lauderdale area and Id drive 2 West palm if you would be able to show me how you cover replacement turned out.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li 330i K1200LT TL ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zykac View Post
i bought the strips from the dealer and im wondering if they can be replaced without removing the windshield.any info u have will be greatly appreciated.
Try reading the thread you just posted to.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 525I
Godd News: Thanks to you guys it took me only 30 minutes to change the winshield cover on my 02 525I. I took the part number to de local dealer and they charge me only $32.00 for the cover. My was so dry-rooten that it came right of in only 3 pices.
I took a small bacuum cleaner around the winshield and then a damp cloth with some paint thiner to clean everything up. Then I called a friend of mine that is a windshield installer and told to use a lot of glass cleaner that comes in a can and to do the TOP CORNERS FIRST. So I sprayed the gasket with the glass cleaner and it snap right on in no time. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:15 PM

I Just Changed The Rubber Seal Around The Windshield Of My 1997 528.
Easy Job And I Just Cheated The Stealership Outta The Chunk Of The Contents Of My Wallet !...
You Can Do It !
Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Excellent work, Everyone! I'm glad this thread has helped a few of you out...especially the DIYers!

Since I needed both "covers" done (front and rear glass), I took my car to a pro. The rear glass does need removed (most likely) to get a new cover on.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
After reading all of this, I ordered new "covers", front and rear for my 03 540. I got them on-line from Sterling BMW in VA for $28 each. I was resigned to replacing them myself. While I was waiting for them to arrive, I happened to be in my local BMW dealer on another matter. I mentioned the deteriorating windshield trim, and much to my surprise, he said "no problem, we will replace it". He said that he would have to check to be sure that they had a windshield for my car in stock, just on the off chance that the tech broke it during the install. About an hour latter, I go my car back w/ new trim around the front windshield. This is odd because the local BMW dealer here in Tucson does not have a very good reputation. They don't even give a BMWCCA discount.

My parts arrived today. Considering that these things rot out in about a year here in the AZ sun, and my car will be out of warranty by then, I guess I'll just keep them for the next replacement.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
I have an '01 530 and all of the window seals looks like brand new. Could be that we don't get the warm weather that you all do. I believe it is -15C or so outside right now. Be happy with your cracked seals and warm weather....

I did have to replace the drivers door inner seal as it wore out from being rubbed every time someone got into the car.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: 05' 760li,94' H1,08'Smart
Just for pole results my 97' is lossing the front seal.... It was replaced 4 years ago when the windshield was fixed. I drove it to San Diego to a dealer. Fearing only a dealer could fix it. So I assume they used a oem seal. This problem is why I joined the forum.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:01 AM

Mein Auto: 05' 760li,94' H1,08'Smart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I have an '01 530 and all of the window seals looks like brand new. Could be that we don't get the warm weather that you all do. I believe it is -15C or so outside right now. Be happy with your cracked seals and warm weather....

I did have to replace the drivers door inner seal as it wore out from being rubbed every time someone got into the car.
Yes, The heat/sun loves rubber and plastic. But so does the cold. Don't run your ICE scraper into them, or the same thing might happen.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 530i, 2003
For the folks at BMW, I'm another (new) 03 530 owner thats having the same problem. I just ordered the parts from Craiver, and I'll be taking care of it myself.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACman View Post
For the folks at BMW, I'm another (new) 03 530 owner thats having the same problem. I just ordered the parts from Craiver, and I'll be taking care of it myself.
If it's still under warranty, give the dealer a try. You may be surprised. They replaced mine.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

I don't think the weather has as much to do with it as the particular manufacturer of the cover. Some folks from '97 still have theirs and it is fine; others from '03 have already needed theirs replaced due to deterioation.

I know that at least 2 different folks make the cover but beyond that, I don't know anything else.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Thanks to all for the advice on this thread. I changed my front winshield strip today and it only took me about 1 hour total. I stated in the top left corner and put the front edge into the channel then tapped it in with the heel of my tennis shoe. I would recommend using anythign that is rubber and flat. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying to use a hard pair of rubber handled pliers which made a few dents in the stripping, but hopefully these will work themselves out over time. I did not need to use any adhesive either as it fits snug into the channel. I only wish I would have found this site two years ago when the problem first presented itself and realized how easy it was to fix. $36 dollars for the weatherstripping from Pelican Parts is a whole lot better than the $300 the independent BMW mechanic wanted to charge me.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Jet Black 530I

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
i got into a accident and my airbags came out so my windshield is cracked where can i get a good windshield
Old 01-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: .
Add another one to the list. My car has the same problems. Although not quite that bad, its enough to piss me off. I try to put some satin tire dressing on them when I wash her to help them from drying and cracking more, but I often forget. I wish I had started that process when I first got her
Old 01-28-2007, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 368 M & Z3 Coupes, E39
Add my 97 540i/6 to the database. I bought it that way with assurances that it had no bearing on keeping the windshield watertight. Finally got around to replacing it today with the $36 Pelican part. Since the embedded metal strip is absent in the corners, the top and each side came off as separate pieces. Getting each of those segments started was the hardest part of the exercise -- I found that a stout table knife and a pair of pliers worked best. Since there was no excess adhesive in the channel, I used no solvent at all to clean it after vacuuming out the stray chunks of rubber. The replacement went in easily, as described here by others. Using a broad plastic putty knife in each side channel helped seat the cover against the windshield.

Now that my 540 is *perfect*, know anyone who wants to buy it?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicube View Post
I have a 2002 525i and had the exact same problem. It go to the point where everytime I washed my car, I'd lose 1-2 inches of molding. After calling the local BMW dealership and bitched and complained, they gave me a name of local auto glass place that they use. The auto glass shop owner has a technique that he uses where he's able to pull the old weatherstripping/molding and squeeze in the new one WITHOUT replacing the windshield. It took less than an hour and costed me less than $100 (including the new BMW OEM molding). I must have called about a dozen auto glass places before this one and all said the same. . . .$300+ for a new windshield and molding.
Multicube !!! Im at San Jose...and need my molding replaced..Do you have the name of this Auto Glass place. Thankx man !
Old 01-30-2007, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i 6 Speed
Does the 'cover' or molding, once replaced stops water from getting in, and wind noise from getting into the cockpit ??

Thanks

BMW 540i-6 97'