Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 525it
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
funny you should post this. i just had my windshield replaced this morning for $270. it was pitted and i just couldn't deal with it anymore. it was replaced by PPG glass and when they did the seal, it was a thick coating around and not some wimpy thin strip. great place if anyone in north jersey is looking for a shop. they are located on Englewood. all the dealers use him and i've seen a few ferrari's there too.
I don't understand how you was able to get a new windshield for $270. It sure wasn't a BMW glass.If you would have noticed when the glass came it already had the rubber seal mounted on it,the glass sets in a grouve in the rubber and it is then mounted on the silicone that the installer placed on the body.Even though the outside rubber cracks and chips out it shouldn't leak. I recently had my windshield replaced through the insurance co and don't know how much it cost, I suspect $800 or so. TCAR
Old 08-31-2007, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda MX-5 Miata
Most windshield replacements cost around that much--but it isn't genuine OEM manufacturer glass. There's nothing wrong with PPG glass. I had a replacement for a previous car ('93 Land Cruiser) for probably even less than that, and they came to my house!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 528i
Add me to the list who have successfully replaced the windshield molding. Took about an hour. I did have some areas where the adhesive had gotton a hold of the moulding and had to be dug out. I would like to add the following tools that may help the job go a little easier:

1. Narrow toothbrush - used to help clean the channel of crud and adhesive. Simply dip the toothbrush in the solvent of choice and scrub

2. Hook scribe - great for digging out the old molding and peices of old molding stuck to adhesive. I fould it much more effective than a screwdriver

3. wallpaper seam roller - basically a small wooden wheel on a handle, it worked great for pushing the new molding up along the top of the windshield. Much easier than pushing with palm or fingers
Old 09-21-2007, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 97 540I6
Did this this morning. The old rubber cover was so bad, that I had little pieces of hard rubber flying up and hitting me in the face. The job I did isn't perfect, but it looks a lot better than the old cover. Thanks to all those who helped with this thread -- it really made it a manageable job!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 03 530i w/Sport Pkg
Question: on the realoem site, they have generic windshield cover, then one for vehicles with "protective glazing", as well as rubber buffers, etc. Any idea on which is needed for a 97? Also, where to order? Bavauto doesn't seem to have this part. Thanks, Tom
Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Ouch

Send a message via MSN to Fragzem Send a message via Skype™ to Fragzem
Mein Auto: 2000 540i/6, 1964 Wildcat
this is happening to me, but on the rear window.. hmph
Old 09-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommco View Post
Question: on the realoem site, they have generic windshield cover, then one for vehicles with "protective glazing", as well as rubber buffers, etc. Any idea on which is needed for a 97? Also, where to order? Bavauto doesn't seem to have this part. Thanks, Tom
Protective Glazing = Bulletproof glass. You probably don't have that option. You just just need the rubber cover, it is about $40. Dealer item.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: '07 335xi 6MT 4door
To add to above: The "rubber buffers" should still remain after removing the remnants of the windshield cover; they work to direct rainwater to the proper drains instead of into the engine compartment.

oembimmerparts.com has the windshield cover in stock. Check with the local BMW dealer who may also have this part in stock for about the same price, and you won't have to pay shipping or wait for delivery. They usually have it in stock now since this is a common replacement part.

'07 335xi 6-spd 4dr, Montego blue
'98 540i 6-spd Sport, Jet Black II(sold)
'92 325i 5-spd 4dr, burgundy(sold)
Old 09-28-2007, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i Sport
Fwiw

I recently emailed Leonora about this problem and got a reply from a customer service person there. I stressed that I would prefer they handle the issue responsibly and fix all at their cost. I am not hopeful that anything comes of it though.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facedon View Post
I recently emailed Leonora about this problem and got a reply from a customer service person there. I stressed that I would prefer they handle the issue responsibly and fix all at their cost. I am not hopeful that anything comes of it though.
Ummm...from my dealings with Leonora and her assitants at BMW customer goodwill services, that sort of tone was probably not a good idea. They are clearly a very over-worked small group with a ton of demands on them. They do respond to email, but it may take a little while. A friendly email followed by a friendly reminder should suffice. Remember, they are under no current legal obligation to do anything for you (despite that many of us think they really should be liable on this window cover issue--I sure am with you on that!).

Old 09-28-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveho View Post
Ummm...from my dealings with Leonora and her assitants at BMW customer goodwill services, that sort of tone was probably not a good idea. They are clearly a very over-worked small group with a ton of demands on them. They do respond to email, but it may take a little while. A friendly email followed by a friendly reminder should suffice. Remember, they are under no current legal obligation to do anything for you (despite that many of us think they really should be liable on this window cover issue--I sure am with you on that!).
To be clear, the person I spoke with seemed very interested in helping, even said she was going to talk with the regional representative (that wasn't the title used, but it was the gist of what he did). As I said, based on the information included herein about what response others have gotten, I am not hopeful that myself, or my fellow E39ers will get this addressed.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:38 PM

Ah. I would certainly love to get reimbursed for this, though it wasn't too bad since I did it myself. Those who were forced to shell out several hundred bucks for a new windshield should certainly get their money back!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i 2007
Lowest quality on Windshield molding!!!

Yes, from my recent observation of my 530i-2003, the windshield molding has started to crack and fall apart. PRETTY SAD and miserable but it is the reality. The material BMW used is very similar to rubber-band material, which will dry up and start to wrinkle when expose to air and sun element. Test this out by placing a rubber-band under the sun for weeks and you can start to see the same result. The material BMW used is fairly cheap and low quality, which they should initiate a recall to replace this minor defect.

By looking at my sister's 1994 C-class Benz, I have noticed it used a metal molding to hold the windshield in place. To me this is the highest quality of work and to this day her molding is in "perfect" condition. She will continue to keep her car for a long long time....without worry such defect.

If you love your car like I do, I think we should partition this to www.lemonauto.com to force bmw to replace this defect with a long last material.

GOOD LUCK TO Everyone with this type of issue.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:52 AM

Goodwill

After contacting Leonora, and being contacted by a great customer satisfaction person from BMWNA, I was offered some amount of goodwill. They offered to reduce the price of the work at the dealer, with the assumption that the windshield would be changed. Unfortunately, my windshield doesn't need changing. so that didn't work for me.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 525
My wife's 525i (01) has the same problem. I'm going to attempt to replace the cover this weekend.

Many Thanks for the info!!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:26 PM

BMWNA agreed to pay for changing the part, if the windshield remains intact. Should the windshield break, I would pay $400. Seemed fair to me.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facedon View Post
BMWNA agreed to pay for changing the part, if the windshield remains intact. Should the windshield break, I would pay $400. Seemed fair to me.
I would just do it yourself and not gamble that the dealership will break the glass. The dealership are all convinced that they MUST remove the glass in order to do the job, since that's what they are told how to do it. They simply do not believe that the cover can be replaced WITHOUT removing the glass.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:18 PM
e39 m5 touring aspirant

Send a message via AIM to jvcajita Send a message via MSN to jvcajita Send a message via Yahoo to jvcajita
Mein Auto: LSB WB 540 Touring VF S/C
All in all, how much would it cost to do this DIY project? What exact items are needed, tools, etc?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcajita View Post
All in all, how much would it cost to do this DIY project? What exact items are needed, tools, etc?
Try reading through the tread. Prices, part numbers, tools, procedures, cautions, are all there. Take the time to read it, vs asking for someone to provide you w/ a written summary.

Last edited by chiefwej; 10-10-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: '99 540it
jvcajita, if you're talking about just the front cover it should run you less than 40 bucks, and a half hour of your time. not bad at all. i did it, hell, anyone can if i can the branndon.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:41 PM
e39 m5 touring aspirant

Send a message via AIM to jvcajita Send a message via MSN to jvcajita Send a message via Yahoo to jvcajita
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
Try reading through the tread. Prices, part numbers, tools, procedures, cautions, are all there. Take the time to read it, vs asking for someone to provide you w/ a written summary.
sorry sire...with all the different approaches and different tools, it did get confusing reading all throughout the thread. next time i'll make sure you won't be bothered ...

p.s. isn't one of the functions in creating threads is to summarize? correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 PM
e39 m5 touring aspirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by branndon_b View Post
jvcajita, if you're talking about just the front cover it should run you less than 40 bucks, and a half hour of your time. not bad at all. i did it, hell, anyone can if i can the branndon.
thanks bro! i was able to get the windshield wiper for $25...did you use a plastic putty knife with those tiny metal tongs? cuz mine is really cracked up...also i am having difficulty even starting from the lower ends...how did you initially take it off?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcajita View Post
thanks bro! i was able to get the windshield wiper for $25...did you use a plastic putty knife with those tiny metal tongs? cuz mine is really cracked up...also i am having difficulty even starting from the lower ends...how did you initially take it off?
Try to avoid using metal near the glass since it can break fairly easy. Once you did down at the corners you'll be able to use needle-nose pliers to carefully pull up the metal band that runs along the bottom of the whole strip. Once you pull it up on either end, just tear that bad boy out all the way around; it will pick up most of the rubbery remains. Use a stiff brush to get out the rest. Definitely find a shop vac to vacuum out all the rest. Clean up with a rag and Goo-Gone for the excess.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:52 PM
e39 m5 touring aspirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveho View Post
Try to avoid using metal near the glass since it can break fairly easy. Once you did down at the corners you'll be able to use needle-nose pliers to carefully pull up the metal band that runs along the bottom of the whole strip. Once you pull it up on either end, just tear that bad boy out all the way around; it will pick up most of the rubbery remains. Use a stiff brush to get out the rest. Definitely find a shop vac to vacuum out all the rest. Clean up with a rag and Goo-Gone for the excess.
thanks waveho! but what is giving me issues is another plastic covering that overlaps the windshield cover. am i suppose to remove that overlapping piece completely?
Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 PM

Sounds like maybe your windshield moulding/cover may have separated over time(?); there should only be one rubber piece which covers the sides and top, which has a metal strip embedded in it. The bottom base of the windshield is the subject of a separate write-up. I guess it's possible that you have an aftermarket cover of some sort, but I haven't heard of something like that. Good luck!