Black E39 Refresh - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-28-2017, 04:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528I
Black E39 Refresh

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2000 528I Black w/ a black interior. 149K
The car has lived its whole life in Marin county, and serviced at the BMW dealer w/ a stack of paperwork. It had one owner until she gave it to her son.

This is my first BMW and I come from the VW world. I have a '76 Scirocco I'm building and a '86 GTI that just needs paint to finish it off.

This site has provided so much useful info I had to join just to say Thank You!

I've already started to fix it. It is just a bit dirty and needs some maintance but it runs pretty smooth.
The headlight lenses were really bad and I couldn't polish them out by hand and had internal damage. I got a really good deal on a set of OEM Hella ones so I rebuild my headlights.

Looks much better and I can see at night
Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2017, 04:42 AM

I fixed the broken buttons on my HVAC . I got some used ones for free at the junkyard...much better then buying another panel.

These have some scratches but they are one piece so thats better then what I had

Is there a build sticker with the options fitted to the car. If so , where is it located?
Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers

Last edited by BLK E39; 01-28-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Nothing to read here...

Mein Auto: 2001 525i 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK E39 View Post
I fixed the broken buttons on my HVAC . I got some used ones for free at the junkyard...much better then buying another panel.

These have some scratches but they are one piece so thats better then what I had

Is there a build sticker with the options fitted to the car. If so , where is it located?
You can run your VIN here
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi
Old 01-28-2017, 12:31 PM

Awesome, I will run my VIN and check.

Thanks!

I've changed the oil and filter, air filter and found my power steering leak. Its coming from the bottom of the resivoir and leaking past the clamps. The dealer paperwork says these parts have been replaced 3 times in the course of the cars life. I'm thinking double clamps might help.

I also scored a rear cupholder from the junkyard so I will try to replace the broken one that is there.

So far I really like this car. Handles great ,fast and comfortable.
Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers
Old 01-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Wingnut

Mein Auto: 1999 5281 5 sp msport
common fix for the hoses at the bottom of the reservoir...cut one inch off the ends of the hose and reclamp in place.

be alert...the world needs more lerts
Old 01-28-2017, 08:51 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528I
Sharp lookin car, good luck
Old 01-28-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmar1 View Post
common fix for the hoses at the bottom of the reservoir...cut one inch off the ends of the hose and reclamp in place.
Thanks,
I saw this trick in the searching I did to look for common leaks. I will give it a try if the hose feels saturated with oil. The hoses are only 43k old and from the dealer so I'm hoping to get away with a better clamp. Hoping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil95 View Post
Sharp lookin car, good luck
Thanks, I'm really happy with it overall. The front bumper is scuffed up on both side so I might replace that. An odd ding and chip here and there but the car is pretty nice.

I like yours too. What tint % is on your car?
I'm going to tint the windows on my car because it gets hot here and its a black on black car. Good thing the A/C works!
Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers

Last edited by BLK E39; 01-28-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528I BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuz View Post

Sent from my SM-J700T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-29-2017, 03:22 AM

I did use the decoder and it told me some basic info. The Previous Owner said the car had the M sport suspension and I was trying to figure out if the car came with it. Shocks are a little bouncy . I have the paperwork from new and I don't see any shock/strut replacement I'm going to assume they are Original.
I found a thread that shows the marking on the shocks so I will check tomorrow.
Another thread said the sway bars are a different thickness so I'll measure those too.
Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers

Last edited by BLK E39; 01-29-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Glutton for punishment

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Congrats on the purchase and the progress. If you get stuck, take a look at one of my threads here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...913&highlight=

I think I've touched nearly every nut and bolt on my E39. Posted pics and commentary along the way.

Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
Congrats on the purchase and the progress. If you get stuck, take a look at one of my threads here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...913&highlight=

I think I've touched nearly every nut and bolt on my E39. Posted pics and commentary along the way.

Good Luck!
Thank you and I appreciate the link to your thread. On the first page there is so much DIY info I could read for days.
Lucky for me I'm starting without as many problems as you had w/ your car. Like you I have restored/refreshed many different cars and I'm not opposed to getting my hands dirty.
This car already impresses me as I drive it and it just needs a little love.....and cleaning.
Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers
Old 01-29-2017, 02:05 PM
Glutton for punishment

No prob.

Usually when I fiddle with cars, I pull the entire interior out and scrub everything. Carpet, leather, everything! It's much easier to work in a clean environment.

There's still a lot of work ahead for you- trust me. This car will have its share of issues that have been neglected. If you have questions, I am happy to help if I can.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
There's still a lot of work ahead for you- trust me. This car will have its share of issues that have been neglected.
Yes, Your definitely right. I've already found one...

Two days ago I was pulling out of the end of the driveway and I heard a gurgling sound when I pushed in the brake pedal. The driveway has a 30* slope up to the road and I had never heard that sound before. The brakes felt fine...pressure and stopping power. I drove it and it only made the sound that one time.
I started searching on here to find out what the noise was/meant. I found some threads that talked about water getting into the booster and we have had tons of rain here in the bay area this season.

I pulled out my driver's side pollen filter box and found this:

There was at least an inch or 2 in there with a ton of leaves and stuff. I cleaned it all out with my shop vac and poured some water in there to make sure the drain functioned.

I guess I'm at the point where I need to pull the hose for the vacuum and see if there is water in the booster. I'm hoping not much if any...hoping.
I do have the morning idle bounce and I wonder if this is related.
The car needs a valve cover gasket so I thought it would be vacuum related or a ccv issue.

Thoughts and comments welcome. Thanks again for having such a great resource for these cars. I've used a lot of car forums and this one by far is the best!
Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers

Last edited by BLK E39; 02-04-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:11 AM
Glutton for punishment

Pull the other side and remove the leaves as well and clear the blockage there too.

Also, you may want to pull the alternator out. (It's easier this way.) It should have a mini "ram air" set up to keep it cool. When I pulled mine it was Full of debris. It was easy to clean and reinstall.

If the car has been sitting where it has accumulated a bunch of leaves and junk to block drain holes, it's been under a tree and neglected by the PO. Start checking everywhere there could be drains and blockages. Yes, it's time consuming but it will save you headaches in the future.

Also, check the trunk-UNDER the spare tire and in the battery compartment. Also a place for leaks INTO the car.

Good Luck.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 AM

I'll check the other side too. I was searching and couldn't find an answer to cleaning under the relay box on the other side. The screw-on gasket at the bottom of the windshield is toast and I'm sure that's not helping.

I will check the air ducting for the alternator as you suggested.

The trunk is ok and I don't see any water pooling in there.

Where do the sunroof drains come out? I haven't searched for that one yet but it's on the list of items to check now.
Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers
Old 02-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Glutton for punishment

IIRC, the hoses run down the pillars. My understanding is that they get dry over time and pull away from the sunroof assembly and leak.

I've not fooled with my roof as it has not leaked (**knocks on wood**)
Old 02-05-2017, 01:54 PM
Wingnut

Mein Auto: 1999 5281 5 sp msport
a and c pillars, theres drain at each corner of the sunroof. they can pull loose from the sunroof, as well as the connection at the bottom of the pillar causing water to get in to your footwells

be alert...the world needs more lerts
Old 02-21-2017, 11:37 PM

Well, it seems I bought a submarine instead of a BMW....

We have had a lot of rain in the Bay Area and I found that some of it was getting into the car.

A friend was in the back passenger side seat and said to me the carpet was wet.
I started to hear water sloshing around in the car.

After reading a lot of threads on here I decided to check my vapor barriors in the rear doors.
Here is the driver's side rear door:

Someone has been in here before:

Resealed

Here is the passenger's side:

Resealed

I got those all sealed up with the Butyl rubber roll from Autozone. I also pulled out the seats front and back to dry the carpets. I didn't really find much water up front (thankfully) but that didn't explain the sloshing sound. I was on the outside of the car and noticed a few drips from the plastic covers on the rocker between the doors. I decided I would pull them off to see whats under them. I pulled 2 of the pins out and the rocker started peeing like a race horse. I found my sloshing sound...

Passenger side

Driver's side

Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers

Last edited by BLK E39; 02-22-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:49 PM

Here is the water I found under the carpet in the back

Lucky I didn't have any under the front seat

I do have some advice for any other newbee who might be reading this. This forum is filled with info and solutions to the problems w/ these cars. When someone suggests you should check the vapor barriors...check them
Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers

Last edited by BLK E39; 02-22-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:08 AM

After all that work I had to do something fun. So, I installed the new grills I got from BavAuto

Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers
Old 02-22-2017, 03:26 AM
Glutton for punishment

With all of that water intrusion you might want to park the car for a week or so and pull the interior out completely. I'd pull the carpet and lay it out in the sun to dry completely. That foam under the carpet soaks up water like crazy and doesn't give it up.

Pull the door panels and use NEW butyle sealant. You can get a long roll on ebay super cheap. I reheated my originals and it did not work as well as I hoped. Within a few weeks, I had leaks. So, I pulled all the panels and resealed again.

Also, check the trunk area again.

Having the interior out lets you scrub everything and avoid mold smells from wet materials. Also, you can leave the car out in the rain or hose it down without the interior installed and look for any additional leaks after yo seal the doors.

Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2017, 06:29 AM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2006 M3, 2002 M5
Your attitude is right on for buying an older BMW. Once you have everything sorted out, you'll appreciate the car so much more than a less involved owner. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:06 PM

Here is the sealant I used. I found it in one of the many 'water in my car' threads archived here. I did have to go to 2 different Autozone stores but I have enough to do the front doors too. I did pour some water into the window to see if it would run out into the car and it came out of the door drain holes at the bottom.

I have been drying the carpet over the past 2 weeks and I feel I've got most of it out. The back passenger carpet foam was drenched. That side took the longest. I went into Target and bought a whole stack of the cheapest towels and put those under the carpet and pushed all the water out. Then I would leave another in there over night. Then repeat everyday until dry.

After finding water in the trunk too I cleaned it all out and it has been dry so far but I did find my taillights were leaking a bit of water. I have new seals coming from BavAuto and they should be here today or tomorrow. Trunk seal appears to be ok and I haven't had anymore water pooling in the spare tire well.
I did have a little cut in the driver's door seal that attaches to the body. I got a nicer one from the junkyard and picked up some taillights too. The bulb trays on the taillights I bought are nicer then mine. Probably from water seeping in. I did get a bulb out warning on the dash on night it was raining really heavy and that's how I found the taillight seals were not sealing anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy36-39 View Post
Your attitude is right on for buying an older BMW. Once you have everything sorted out, you'll appreciate the car so much more than a less involved owner. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Thank you
I decided a few years ago to get a different car every couple of years just to get a different driving experience and perspective. I get to find out why people love different cars and expand my knowledge on fixing vehicles.
I see your from NoVA. I grew up in Woodbridge but haven't been back in a few years since my parents moved. I only have a few friend that still live there. I've heard the traffic is so much worse from when I left almost 20 years ago.

I'll be doing the cowl seal today after I fix a friend's radio. Her radio keeps blowing fuses and it such a hack job install I might end up doing everything again. No rest for the wicked I guess.
Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers

Last edited by BLK E39; 02-22-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
welcome to germany lol

15486372<-----
Old 02-22-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
welcome to germany lol
Thanks but I've been in Germany a while. I have an 86 VW Golf GTI that my dad bought new. I've rebuilt that whole car and it just needs seals and paint. Nothing like the satisfaction of driving a car you rebuilt. Including the motor. It has a 2.0L bottom end now (it came with a 1.8L).
I also have a 76 VW Scirocco I pulled from the junkyard to restore. I'm in the middle of converting it from carb to Fuel Injection. I'm going to update it to about '85 spec with wiring . motor and trans I pulled from one of my other cars.
It just keeps going and going

Now I need to talk my friend out of his S2000 so I can play w that too.
Steptronic Transmission
Sport Suspension
M steering wheel
HID Headlights
Split folding rear seat
Rear sunshades
Auto dimming mirror
Shadowline trim
Rainsensor wipers

Last edited by BLK E39; 02-22-2017 at 01:20 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search