Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 540i/6
Fan Clutch Brand

Hi Gang,

A couple issues have shown up in the last couple days. I need to replace my CCV and I think my fan clutch is shot.

I installed a new Behr fan clutch and new BMW brand fan on 8/22/2013 @ 135,550 miles. The issue was noticed 11/8/14 with 147,820 miles.

I noted a bit of a grinding noise and felt oil all over the front and rear surface of the fan clutch. I removed the fan and clutch and started the car and the noise is no longer occurring.

Apparently the Behr clutch is rubbish. I seem to remember reading that Sachs' fan clutch is much better, however I don't think they make it for the 540. (if they do I sure can't find one).

What is your opinion on brand for this part? I know the OE part with the BMW label also has the Behr label, so I am not inclined to go with them. I read several reviews on Pelicanparts.com for the Behr clutch where customers had issues with this part after a similar amount of miles.

What is the right solution here? Should I go for an electric fan solution or should I buy another Behr and hope to get a good one? What are your thoughts wise board members!?

Thanks,

Preston
Kansas City BMW CCA Chapter #478906

Last edited by plmadding01e39; 11-09-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
There may be information about clutch brands here:
- What brand is the OEM part original equipment manufacturer for your BMW (1) & what parts & supplies are best to buy OEM (1)

See also:
- How long can you drive your BMW E39 with the viscous fan clutch removed (1)
Old 11-09-2014, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 04/1997 528i Auto,
Hmmm I think the E39s all have the same clutch.. Did you check RM Europen? They had Sachs for 113
Old 11-09-2014, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 540i/6
Thank you both! DeGraff, I looked at RM and didn't see it for a 540. I did see that they have the Sachs for the I6 engines.

Thanks Bluebee, that makes me feel a little better about driving a few days until the part comes in. I have a strenuous 1.5 mile, 5 min drive to work each day so I think I can manage without a main fan

I ended up buying a Borg Warner fan clutch. I figured it can't be any worse than the Behr part, and will hopefully be better! I'll report back later and let you know what I think about it.

Thanks again.

Preston
Kansas City BMW CCA Chapter #478906
Old 11-10-2014, 01:31 AM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
I have not heard of issues with Behr E39 fan clutches prematurely failing. I have definitely heard of old ones, with over 100,000 miles failing. I have gotten 123,000 miles out of my original before preventatively replacing. And recently replaced that one at 100,000 miles preventatively. Understand like all products, there are always outliers. I would not necessarily base ones purchase decision on a single outlier....though I can completely understand your trepidation. But unless or until we see a rash of failures, I would have stuck with the oem product. I will certainly report if I have troubles.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Behr fan clutch fails like clockwork. Search forum and you will see.

My Sachs Fan Clutch was installed May 2006, 8 years later still fine.
This is for my M52 I6 engine, V8 fan clutch PN is different, but I think Sachs is a good brand.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Behr fan clutch fails like clockwork. Search forum and you will see.

My Sachs Fan Clutch was installed May 2006, 8 years later still fine.
This is for my M52 I6 engine, V8 fan clutch PN is different, but I think Sachs is a good brand.
First, I am sure the Sachs clutch is an entirely fine recommendation, and can and should be used. But I am unsure the Behr is as problematic as stated. I took your advice and did a quick search of the forum, and to be honest, I didn't find a lot of Behr premature failures. There are failures, but being OEM, of course, more people will report failures (lets face the fact that 90% or more of E39s have the Behr clutch)...but from all the threads I found on the first two pages of my search, they are either no indications of mileage, or noted high miles.

Did find a Sachs that failed at 40k miles (again, probably an outlier for Sachs too, and not their normal quality)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...71&postcount=1

I found a quote from technician "Burning2nd" and his opinion is both Behr AND Sachs suck... lol

BTW, almost all the Behr parts I recently purchased for my cooling system overhaul where made in Germany. Exceptions were the radiator (south Africa, which I believe all Behr radiators are now sourced), expansion tank cap (Austria) and the expansion tank was China, but I exchanged it for a Behr from the BMW dealer, which was (apparently) German. For some parts sold on the aftermarket, Behr (and other suppliers like Conti-Tech) do appear to occasionally use alternate sources in China, Turkey and eastern Europe.

Thanks again for all of your excellent posts and DIY threads...awesome stuff
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.

Last edited by 540 M-Sport; 11-10-2014 at 04:45 PM.