Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto:
2002 530i Questions! (Engine, Headlights, Body, Electronics)

So my 2002 530i with 128k miles has been returned to me by my grandfather after a year and long story short I crashed into a telephone pole after pulling out of a car wash too fast on a busy road on bald tires.

Well now I have received the car back (FIXED) and have noticed a few things.

1) Structurally it looks good all damage caused to the front right has been very well repaired, except for a fender that needs to be popped out and repainted but that's not my biggest issue. Another problem is that my OEM Xenons were replaced with the Halogen headlights that seem to have a weak lowbeam (I replaced both bulbs with h7's). Was looking into umnitzas headlights but I'll have to wait and see if I wanna splurge the cash. Also my bumper is not the OEM one that came with the car because I have the M-Sport package and it has the stock bumper so I'm guessing they replaced it with one from the scrap yard from another e39. So i was considering getting a new set of sport rear and front bumpers, as well as a new exhaust or muffler delete to get some nicer sound and to fit a new bumper better. Any suggestions?

2) Engine wise I got it looked at and it's throwing a few codes from the service engine soon light and that seemed to be caused by an exhaust camshaft position sensor, I've seen this as a common problem for some e39's and I'm sure I have all the symptoms that include the rough idle, laggy throttle every now and then and the fact that the engine is taking a bit to warm up now. Also some oil was leaking from the underbody of the engine and I can't quite seem to point out where it's from, any guesses because I have no idea?!

3) I want to update the head unit and from what I've seen the Dynavin N6 seems to be the way to go! Now I know it's steep but it's a very good unit with a lot of modern integration and I might just bite the bullet, but it's between the head unit or the new headlights (which I'm just considering to restore and buy at a later time?)

4) My seats are causing me a lot of headache, I have attempted to trim the rubber around the cable to the motor seats and then fed it back into the motor but my driver seat seems to be acting stubborn in this regard and I can't seem to get the cable to stay on the left side of the motor?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED! My goal is to restore this car back to its glory days in the early 2000's I grew up with a 528i and loved these since I was little and I'm very open to DIY so let me know if you have any tips!

PS I named her Sasha xD
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2016, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto:
Also my horn on my facelift msport steering wheel isn't working and I have an airbag light? Any chance these are corresponding
Old 09-05-2016, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto:
Anybody?
Old 09-05-2016, 04:30 PM
TA

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 525i
Congratulations on your purchase! The first thing I would recommend is buying a decent scanner so you can read the error codes. Currently, the most popular model seems to be the Creator 310.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timarnold View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! The first thing I would recommend is buying a decent scanner so you can read the error codes. Currently, the most popular model seems to be the Creator 310.
I have the codes read and it's the part I need is the exhaust camshaft sensor and I will replace it tomorrow hopefully any tips for the other things i mentioned in my previous post?
Old 09-06-2016, 07:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530I Sport
FYI there is no M-Sport package for the 530I. Just a sport package. All 530 bumpers look the same from the factory regardless of the package.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530I Sport
As far as oil leaks the most common are..

Valve cover
Oil filter housing
Oil pan
Vanos oil line
Power steering hoses

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search