Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Oxford Green 2003 530i
sway bar - front end replacement

I've done some searching on here but was curious what folks thought of my indy charging $185 for part(s) & labor to replace my front end sway bar as its making that loose/clunking noise which is annoying as hell. Thanks for any and all feedback.
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
is the sway bar in 2 peices?

No

then you dont need a sway bar you need bushings and end links.. not a bar

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"
Old 09-30-2014, 04:08 PM

I confirmed and yes its the sway bar links. Is the work at $185 for parts/labor reasonable? I honestly don't have time to do it myself unless I'm getting truly ripped off so i'll be paying for it anyhow but was curious on the cost. thanks again man.

Last edited by newcombe; 09-30-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:16 PM
Under the lift arms

i guess.. depending on labor rate, part cost and over head,.... but consitedering you cant do it your self i dont see any other way,

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"
Old 09-30-2014, 04:18 PM

sorry, I edited my above post prior to seeing the above burning2nd. he said it would take maybe an hour. this should resolve the loose/clunking sound for sure or could it be countless other things?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Under the lift arms

It could, be other things,

strut tops and struts would be more likely for clunking over bumps but If he says so then you should trust him... If it doesnt fix it, and he comes up with something else, Then find someone else,

The problem is theres probably more then one thing, and untill its all done its never going to really go away,

So unless your whiling to spend a grand on the front of the car, Id probalby say you should just let it go and get over the sound,

Unless its a safty issue..

But then again maybe hes right

Old 09-30-2014, 04:30 PM

just the feedback I was looking for. thank you! i'll let you know after the links are changed out if it helps. it isn't really over the bumps and its a fairly quiet noise. more just driving down the road at a slower pace that I hear it.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Sway bar link failure is the most common and primary reason for front end clunking over bumps. The work takes 1 hr MAX to replace both links. The OEM parts are $65. Make sure you are getting the OEM links. There is a DIY on this forum.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:33 PM
Under the lift arms

dont waste your money with OEM links.. they are no better Just x2 the money, I did my whole car for less then 100$

Old 09-30-2014, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
dont waste your money with OEM links.. they are no better Just x2 the money, I did my whole car for less then 100$
I would disagree, and say "it depends" on which manufacturer you use. Oem Lemforder are definitely high quality. It appears that the Meyle are "okay"...I have them on the front of my car with no issues and it has been about 70k miles now (a sampling of one..so take with a grain of salt). But there are definitely some crap out there...and people have reported on issues with Ebay ones (whatever makers those are) and FCP Groton (now FCP Euro). I saw a thread with pictures of the FCP endlinks literally separated/broken after a month or two of use.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: 99 BMW 540i
It is so easy to check a worn out sway bar links bushing if u can't diy that's sad even more if after replacing the links the issue doesn't go away
Does the car swing on the road like sometimes try to flip itself
I suspect your shock strut components

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-01-2014, 05:18 AM
Under the lift arms

i wasnt aware of any other parts then lemforder and meyle,

Old 10-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Delphi, Febi & Karlyn are other brands at less than half the cost. I am a believer that you get what you pay for (in most cases).
Old 10-01-2014, 01:40 PM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
An often forgotten brand in euro car circles is Moog. I don't know why. They are generally regarded as top-notch by everyone else. I mean, if they're good enough to have a sticker on NASCAR race cars, they must be good, right?

But seriously, I rebuilt the front and rear ends of my car with Moog parts shortly after I got it about 2 years ago. I've only accumulated 14K miles since then, but no regrets. They fit perfectly and so far they're holding up fine.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
That price is fair for both the links, bushings and labor. The links are pretty easy along with the driver side bushing, passenger side bushing a bit more tedious due to a heat shield in the way. Links had been done on mine before I got it but still had a clunk. New bushings fixed it.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBeemer View Post
That price is fair for both the links, bushings and labor. The links are pretty easy along with the driver side bushing, passenger side bushing a bit more tedious due to a heat shield in the way. Links had been done on mine before I got it but still had a clunk. New bushings fixed it.
+1. When I did the job, I replaced bushings AND end links with all new OEM parts (its probably only another $80 parts and labor to replace the bushings as well). I replaced the end links again, (with Meyle) trying to later diagnose a knocking noise...ended up being unrelated.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
FCP Euro doesn't "make" thier own end links they sell the same brands as everybody else...Lemforder, OEM, Febi,Meyle, Karlyn, etc. You pays your money and make your choice. I have had nothing but great service from FCP Euro and I am almost certain they have the best prices. I bought thier Meyle HD end links and they are definetly more robust than the stock ones.

Last edited by Jicafold; 10-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.