Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-17-2017, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528it
Must do!

I have a 99 528it wagon and I'm wondering what are the must do's? I have been researching a number of things and each time I come across another must do like the cdv delete. What are some other things I should do or see if they have been done already. Most of the major maintenance and repair stuff has been done. I'm speaking mostly of things that make it run/drive better. Thanks
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Replace the VANOS seals. Best bang for the buck.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:24 PM

Will replacing the vanos seals help with the marble in a can sound I get once in a while from it? Also the car seems to run and drive great but this will still give improvement to the car? After viewing some other threads it seems I also have the cold idle drop issue. It seems the seals will be of value for sure. Thanks

Last edited by Lillylowrider; 02-17-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iAT
Go to BavAuto.com's Tech Tips section, download your maintenance schedule and do everything on the schedule.
If you do not know when the mechanical fan and clutch were replaced, replace them as well. My interval is 65K. Google: e39 exploding fan

A leaky VANOS won't leave you stranded so its not on my "must do" list. It definitely makes my "should do" list as it will restore lost performance. I suggest you do it when you replace the valve cover gasket or after you have taken care of the "must do" tasks. The procedure is at BeisanSystems.com. I used the kit from i6motorworks.com because it has everything you need for the job. Note that you have a dual VANOS m52tu engine.

I highly recommend "BMW 5 Series Service Manual 1997-2003" from Bentley Publishing.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillylowrider View Post
Will replacing the vanos seals help with the marble in a can sound I get once in a while from it? Also the car seems to run and drive great but this will still give improvement to the car? After viewing some other threads it seems I also have the cold idle drop issue. It seems the seals will be of value for sure. Thanks
I have never experienced the VANOS "rattle" so I don't know if this will help.

I can say from experience that replacing the seals will improve performance and, if the VANOS is the only cause, eliminate the cold idle drop. In my case, the cold idle drop only happened when it was 40 F degrees or lower. The lower the temp, the worse it was, stalling out sometimes. When the engine got up to temp, the problem went away. Replacing the seals resolved this problem for me.

Read what they say about the problem at BeisanSystems.com before posting back here.

Last edited by JaxPlanet; 02-19-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the link and info. Most of the maintenance list has been done with the exception of a few fluid changes which are in the works. I will likely tackle the transmission fluid, rear diff and cdv delete this week. Vanos seals, oil filter housing gasket, CCV inspect/clean and vacuum leak inspect over the next couple weeks.
Thanks again!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search