Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-31-2002, 04:51 PM
•••••••

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Ads on cop cars

Quote:

Cities plan to put ads on police cars
Thu Oct 31, 8:09 AM ET
Larry Copeland USA TODAY

ATLANTA -- To cash-strapped cities across the nation, the offer seems too good to pass up. New police cars for $1 each in exchange for allowing NASCAR (news - web sites)-style advertisements all over the cruisers.

Cities buffeted by the recession and a post-9/11 travel lull are jumping at the deal pushed by a Charlotte company. Since May, more than 20 cities have signed contracts for the cars, and more than 200 others are interested.

Some observers fear that putting ads on police cars goes too far. Gary Kritz, an advertising professor at Seton Hall University, sees potential conflicts. Police might look the other way on matters involving local patrons, or advertisers might ''do something to get the cop cars in motion.''

''I think it's a little shortsighted,'' says Kelly Edmiston, assistant economics professor at Georgia State University. ''The economy is going to turn around, but they're taking diehard measures.''

Public entities and advertisers have cozied up for years. But now, the pitching extends everywhere. San Diego is considering letting General Motors put ads on lifeguard towers in exchange for 35 free cars. The city of St. Charles, Mo., voted in September to rent ad space on its trash-collection trucks. And Biggs, Calif., population 1,793, is mulling an offer from the California Milk Processor Board to change its name to Got Milk?, Calif., for a ''meaningful contribution.''

Sam Slay, police chief of Springfield, Fla., wasn't crazy at first about the idea of ads on cruisers but signed up. ''Sometimes you have to set your preferences aside for the principle, and we need these cars,'' he says.

Springfield, a Panama City suburb of fewer than 10,000 people, is hoping for 15 Ford Crown Victorias worth $24,000 each. Advertising fees would pay for the cars and three years of maintenance.

Ken Allison, a partner with Government Acquisitions LLC of Charlotte, says the first car delivery is three to six months away. He says the company will solicit ads from national and local companies -- ''even the local bail bondsman, or an attorney's office.''

Some hopefuls fret that the car deal is too sweet. ''My father said if something sounds too good to be true, it is,'' says Ozark, Ala., Mayor Bob Bunting, who's seeking 10 cars. ''But I said, 'Let's try it. We have nothing to lose.' ''
I'm sorry, but this goes too far IMO. You're going to lend advertisers the kind of authority that the police carry? And you're going to water down the authority of the police with ads for Tide and Pepsi on cop cars?

Bad idea. Very bad.

IMO, government, schools, and other public, tax-funded institutions should be ad-free... there should be a separation of corporations and state, just like there's a separation of church and state.

This gives me the willies.
Ads by Google
Old 10-31-2002, 05:17 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
I originally heard of this idea a few years ago, even before the run-ads-on-your-car-we'll-pay-for-the-car stuff was conceived during the DotBoom.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 330xi
I'd like to see a cruiser with the ad:

"Pork, the other white meat".
Old 11-01-2002, 08:21 AM
fahrer

Mein Auto: doesn't have rear fogs!
Honestly, your honor... I couldn't tell it was a police car behind me!
Old 11-01-2002, 08:22 AM
Mein Auto: people crazy
Plaz, I agree with you totally. I think it downplays the police's authority (even more than the media already does on a daily basis).
Old 11-01-2002, 08:25 AM
Think Snow!

Mein Auto: 2001 330xi
What happens when a cop with a McDonalds ad on his cruiser has to answer a call at the Burger King?
Old 11-01-2002, 08:26 AM
Brilliant!

Mein Auto: 2001 325xi StahlcGrau
Quote:
Originally posted by ERK
What happens when a cop with a McDonalds ad on his cruiser has to answer a call at the Burger King?
Even worse...what happens if Dunkin Donuts pays for an ad and he prefers Krispy Kreme?

"It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract."
-- Alan Shepard
Old 11-01-2002, 08:39 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
The problem with dimunition of perceived authority is a real one, but I think the bigger concern is the possibility of perceived state endorsement of the products (or services) advertised.

This might not be (much) of an issue with Tide, but the article mentions attorneys and bail-bondsman. What does the presence of such an ad on an official vehicle say to observers about government endorsement of those service providers? Is there a risk that individuals will feel less free to use other providers, out of concern that these are the ones endorsed by the state?

Worse, the value of space on police vehicles for certain services (such as attorneys and bailbondsmen) could conceivably give police economic power to change the behavior of those providers. What if an attorney takes on an exceptionally unpopular representation (such as John Walker Lindh, for example)? It's easy for me to imagine tremendous political pressure to have that attorney's ads removed from the police cars; and if those ads are valuable, maybe the attorney would think twice about taking the case in the first place.

This is an exceptionally bad idea, IMHO.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:55 AM
•••••••

"The following Miranda rights are brought to you by Home Depot. You have the right to remain silent..."
Old 11-01-2002, 09:15 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
"The following Miranda rights are brought to you by Johnnie Cochran. You have the right to remain silent..."
Old 11-01-2002, 09:17 AM
Think Snow!

Mein Auto: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally posted by Plaz
"The following Miranda rights are brought to you by Home Depot. You have the right to remain silent..."
You have the right to remain silent..and here's a nice coupon for $10 off a hacksaw...
Old 11-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Φlmeίstabmeister

Mein Auto: '03 530i
The situation I'm about to describe is similar, but different.

I know of a situation in one municipality where the Fire Department Chaplain is a volunteer (and its not a VFD). The city allowed the chaplain use of a Fire Department vehicle. The Chaplain's full time job is rector of his church, but is also on call to the fire department (where he helps counsel people after an emergency where someone is hurt, killed or when their house burns down -- car accidents, fires, suicides, murders.)

This chaplain is there to help, and has done it as a volunteer for about 8-10 years. He actually gets a ton of personal satisfaction helping people when they need it the most. If the person that needs help wants religious help or a religious service -- he does that (and in a way appropriate for that person's religion), if the person just needs someone to talk to he's there.

But... he didn't like driving the city vehicle he was assigned. Part of it was the whole separation between church & state (since he essentially needed to drive the city vehicle almost all the time). The other reason was that he didn't like driving Caprices and Luminas arround...

His solution: Some church members donated money to buy a Chevy Tahoe (which one of the members that donated money and was a Chevy dealer sold to the church at cost). The church donated the Tahoe to the city, with the intent that that vehicle was to be used by the FD Chaplain. The city counsel actually had to pass an ordanance to allow that, but there was no oposition. The Tahoe was then outfitted with all the fire department gear and decals. The only differences with this Tahoe and others vehicles in the city fleet is this one is fully loaded (Leather, CD, etc), plus some small wording on the back saying "This Vehicle Donated by (name of church)".

Overall its worked out great for this chaplain and the city -- actually, he's now on his second Fire Tahoe...
Old 11-01-2002, 10:42 AM
Mein Auto: people crazy
Quote:
Originally posted by ERK

You have the right to remain silent..and here's a nice coupon for $10 off a hacksaw...
Old 11-02-2002, 12:51 AM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Re: I'd like to see a cruiser with the ad:

Quote:
Originally posted by fkafka

"Pork, the other white meat".
Or Krispy Kreme or Beer Ads....
Old 11-02-2002, 04:12 PM
Code 66

Mein Auto: .
I wonder if any organizations or groups would put ads on...

I would LOVE to see the NRA put an ad on a patrol car. And on the flipside, i think it would be hilarious to see some anti-gun group have one
Old 11-02-2002, 09:38 PM
•••••••

Quote:
Originally posted by ///Mathew
I wonder if any organizations or groups would put ads on...

I would LOVE to see the NRA put an ad on a patrol car. And on the flipside, i think it would be hilarious to see some anti-gun group have one

This drug bust brought to you by NORML...