Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 11-01-2002, 06:01 AM
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew

Send a message via AIM to PunchIt Send a message via Yahoo to PunchIt
Mein Auto: E46 328i
Question A Simple Suspension Question

Can someone explain to me how a shock vs. a spring works in the suspension system? How does changing one vs. the other effect how the E46 handles?

Thanks.

Daniel
Old 11-01-2002, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to 10chi
Mein Auto: 06 UDM
another question to ask is, does BMW warranty cover suspenions?

Future: With this economy, who knows?

Old 11-01-2002, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally posted by 10chi
another question to ask is, does BMW warranty cover suspenions?
perhaps that would be better asked in a new thread, rather than hijacking this one right from the start.

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to 10chi
Mein Auto: 06 UDM
sure no prob. I just thought that it would be better than seeing 2 questions about the same subject in a row. Hijacking?

Future: With this economy, who knows?

Old 11-01-2002, 07:41 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
A very simple explanation...

Together, the shock absorber and the spring suspends and isolate the car from the road and determine much of the handling and confort behavior of the car. Individually, they perform specific duties. The spring determines and maintains the height of the car relative to the road while controlling the up and down motion of the suspension to an specific rate (compression/rebounding rate). Left at its own perfect physics, the spring will be rebunding forever if not limited. There are metal (spring and leaf shapes) and air (air or gas filled, electronically controlled containers) springs.

The shock absorber further controls the suspension movement by controlling at what rate the spring will compress and expand. And in increasingly more applications, the shocks can determine when to control that spring rate. In rapid lane changes or sudden braking the shocks can increase its compression piston stroke to limit body lean. Or can decrease its compression stroke for smoother highway ride.

The next time you see a car bouncing all over just driving down a smooth road or severe brake dive, you are seeing a car with worn shocks allowing the springs total control of the suspension.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 911
www.howstuffworks.com is a wonderful resource for fundamentals like this. They often include both pictures and animations. If a picture is = 1,000 words, an animation is worth 1,000 pictures!

I really enjoyed the transmission & differential articles.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:26 AM
Head-In-Sand Dumbass

Mein Auto: BBY Evo VIII
Quote:
Originally posted by Technic
A very simple explanation...

Together, the shock absorber and the spring suspends and isolate the car from the road and determine much of the handling and confort behavior of the car. Individually, they perform specific duties. The spring determines and maintains the height of the car relative to the road while controlling the up and down motion of the suspension to an specific rate (compression/rebounding rate). Left at its own perfect physics, the spring will be rebunding forever if not limited. There are metal (spring and leaf shapes) and air (air or gas filled, electronically controlled containers) springs.

The shock absorber further controls the suspension movement by controlling at what rate the spring will compress and expand. And in increasingly more applications, the shocks can determine when to control that spring rate. In rapid lane changes or sudden braking the shocks can increase its compression piston stroke to limit body lean. Or can decrease its compression stroke for smoother highway ride.

The next time you see a car bouncing all over just driving down a smooth road or severe brake dive, you are seeing a car with worn shocks allowing the springs total control of the suspension.
A fine explanation!

Old 11-01-2002, 10:09 AM
Traffic Surgeon

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP~89 325is~88 M6
Quote:
Originally posted by rhenriksen
www.howstuffworks.com is a wonderful resource for fundamentals like this. They often include both pictures and animations. If a picture is = 1,000 words, an animation is worth 1,000 pictures!

I really enjoyed the transmission & differential articles.
Agreed 100% although I went there right after reading this post and came up empty. Odd, but I guess their site is a continual work in progress. Just thought I'd mention it to save anyone the trouble...

Great explanation from Technic!
Old 11-01-2002, 12:14 PM
Lap Dog

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupe, '01 325i
Try this link too - I find it extremely useful

http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/s...ion_bible.html

'01 325i: Orient Blue/black, SP, M stress bar, UUC sways, TMS camber plates, TMS rear sub reinf kit, CAI, Shark, Borla, Dunlop Direzza 245/40/17 on 17x8 O.Z. Superleggeras

HPDE instructor, Boston Chapter Autocross Co-chair, Boston Bimmer columnist www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/online.aspx

My performance driving site: www.OneHotLap.com