Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:45 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325iC
Valve Adjustment Do-it-Yourselfer..

So it's been i month since i owned this beauty..It's time to tackle the valve and will be my first major's job.Just your typical backyard grease monkey..
i wanted my nephew to work on it and he's a mechanic for ford but told me he rather me work on it to get an idea on how thing work on this car and like he said it's like a hobby..
This is my first major overhaul for me...
i've replace hoses alternators starter and tune up before Etc ,but nothing like this .
this is major job for me..and what i found on google and found most my answers on line..

My question is before i tackle the valves..
Is there any other parts that i should buy before i start...
i know valve covers gaskets are a must even though mine don't leak..
Is there any thing else..Like maybe a specialty tool ....do i need a 32mm wrench to get TDC..
what else....
My nephew say maybe that could part of the problem that my car overheats a bit when idle,but not on the HWY..
Ya another thread.....that would be my other question....
Thanks in advance..
Old 09-15-2016, 10:41 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x2,E30x1, F150
You really should have a torque wrench calibrated in inch pounds. The cover screws only require a few ft/lbs torque, and most torque wrenches don't go low enough.
IIRC, it's not a 32mm wrench, but a 22mm you need for the crankshaft bolt. I just bump the engine with a pushbutton jumper on the starter to set each cylinder at TDC. If you use a wrench to turn the crank, take the plugs out first. It makes it much easier if you aren't fighting cylinder compression.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 & New Member Intro Forum Mod/Bimmerfest Misplaced-Posting Tow Truck
BMW-CCA #441426 My E30 makes me do stupid FUN things.

1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette"

Old 09-16-2016, 06:25 AM

Bought Metric vtools

Funny you mention that i did buy myself a brand new torque wrench just for this job and a whole bunch of metric open wrenches and deep and low metric sockets..and do go as high as 22mm...so i guess i don't have to buy a 32mm wrench..
But i might have a problem now..
The torque wrench i have is mastercraft and it starts at 50-250 in-lb ..does this mean i have to buy another torques wrench..
It's the first time using a torque wrench how hard can it be...
it does say 0-10 on the turn knob and it seems to go up to 2 increments up to 10
then the other high number to 250 ft lb..
the reason i bought this one it specailly said for light duty and good for valve covers..
They did have a longer handle one but i thought that would be in the way when trying to torque down.....
Also can you tell me what this would mean in certain chapters the bentley book..
It show in the valve covers...
11+ and has a - (minus) on the bottom of the + 1 ft.lb..
So would this mean 12 ft.lb give or take...
Yes and will be taking the plugs out..but since mines an automatic can i use like we use back in the old days is use a wire on solenoid and bump it with a wire....
what kind of start button do i need...i guess a can't roll the tires like i see them do on manual trans to get TDC.

Last edited by Rustneversleeps; 09-16-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39
Maybe this guide will help:

Old 09-16-2016, 12:04 PM

yes it does thanks found....when i google search that's what pop up...
any idea what size is that vent tube....
Old 09-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustneversleeps View Post
yes it does thanks found....when i google search that's what pop up...
any idea what size is that vent tube....
Not sure but it's a preformed hose and its only like $16 new so I would try ordering a new one if that's why you ask.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)
Today's Posts Search