Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: E30 next week
My "New" E30?

Could be in my driveway soon... 1990 325is 5-spd coupe offered by a friend.

Hi. I'm Clyde and new here, wanting to learn about these "God's Chariots," as the administrator calls them, the venerable E30's. Now I've just got to figure out how this forum business works...

I've never bought or owned a new car in my 53 years of driving. I've had, among others, a Hillman Minx, a Renault, a Saab, 3 MGAs, 3 Volvos, 3 Mercedes, and 4 Volkswagens, but never a BMW.

I've gotten too old and creaky to crawl around cars like I used to, but maybe can still change a spark plug, injector, air clearer etc., leaving brake jobs and other maintenance to younger more flexible enthusiasts.

Will I be happy with a 5-speed not having shifted gears in over 20 years?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A BMW 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	421154  
Ads by Google
Old 02-06-2014, 05:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 325is 4 door
Welcome to the forum and jump right in. I have had two of these both 87 325's one a sedan auto trans and now a convertible 5 speed. the 5 speed is fun but at 58 years old that has worn off for me. I am selling and going back to a hard top automatic. As long as it is not your full time car, you will be fine with a 5 speed. I have hurt my back and hip (I guess those things come in the late 50's) and the clutch hurts me, therefore the sell. You will love the E30's and my suggestion is to jump in it and have a little fun. if it turns out the 5 speed wears on you, you will always be able to find someone to take it off your hands.
Good luck and no speeding tickets!

1990 325i Glacier Blue 4 door current ride
1987 X 2 (Black 325ic convertable & Granite silver 325i coup) Gone but never forgotten
Old 02-06-2014, 05:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 89 325i 2dr&DucatiMonster
Hey Clyde ,it looks like a nice car only missing a few bits and pieces.BMW's are great cars especially E30s they're very well built and can be fun to drive .The first thing you need to do is find out what service records your friend has for the car ,then since you don't want to crawl around yourself I'd recommend taking it to a reputable independent BMW shop that works on E30s .The local chapter of the BMW CCA (the BMW club) can probably help you out. It looks like Jacksonville is the closest chapter.You just want them to inspect the car and tell you what it needs not fix it, you can come back to the forum and get some help prioritizing the repairs so you can enjoy your car while you get it back in good running order.

Last edited by toybuilder; 02-06-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
It looks a lot like mine did when I got it. The most important thing with these cars by far is to make sure the timing belt and tensioner are changed every 5 years or 60k miles with quality parts. The belts do break and when they do pistons meet valves and it's not a pretty picture. But E30's in general are fantastic cars to drive and pretty easy to work on. If you wrenched on any 80's and 90's era VW's you'll be right at home. Once these cars are gone through and refreshed they are quite reliable. As for the 5 speed that all depends on you. I find them far more fun to drive. And if my father can drive a stick in his 70's after double knee and hip replacements I think anyone with all their limbs working can if they really want to.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter