Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:58 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

This thread will be for questions regarding the Dice iPod integration kit for your BMW. Questions regarding features, compatibility, installation and bug reports can be submitted to this thread.

Product Description:

Connect your iPod to your vehicle's factory entertainment system and hear what your iPod should sound like in your BMW. CD-quality sound and controls from your radio, steering wheel or the iPod. Always keeps your iPod charged and ready to go.

The DICE iPod integration kit will also display text from your iPod onto your BMWs radio/Navigation display allowing you to view Artist, Song title and Album name!

A clean factory looking installation is possible with our sleek iPod docking cable, allowing full connectivity for all iPods utilizing a dock connector.

Our hard-wired kit connects right to the cd changer connectors already present in your BMW. The DICE module transfers information between the iPod and radio through a dock cable or our upcoming video cradle.

New features of DICE iPod Integration kit include:

iPod is now fully unlocked while connected to DICE integration kit. You are allowed full access of your iPod's features as well as the following browsing options:

- Album Selection
- Song Selection
- Playlist Selection
- Chapter Selection (Audible/Audiobooks)

You can browse your iPod with the steering wheel, radio or Navigation buttons and the iPod (or any combination of the three) without booting into separate modes. Allowing the iPod to remain in "iPod UI" allows for the user to still rate songs and create "on the go" playlists.

AUX compatibility with user-adjustable Sound Output settings:

Connect any external audio device including: aftermarket satellite radio, CD/DVD players, non-Apple MP3 players and more! Bass, mid, treble and gain settings can be adjusted on the fly. These options allow for distortion-free audio input.

Selecting between audio from your iPod or AUX input is done with the press of a button on your radio.

- Volume Output (selectable 1-100)
- Bass (selectable 1-100)
- Midrange (selectable 1-100)
- Treble (selectable 1-100)

ID3 text output

- Features Song Title/Artist and Album information on your Navigation or Radio Display.

Charging Control

Charging of your iPod while in play, never have a dead iPod again!

Models Supported:

1996-2006 3-series, including M3 (not for i-Drive models)*
1997-2003 5-series, including M5
09/1998-2001 7 series
2004-2006 X3
2000-2006 X5
1996-2002 Z3, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2003-2006 Z4
2000-2003 Z8
2003-2006 Mini Cooper/Cooper S

* pre 1999 vehicles and Business Cassette do not have ID3 text support.

Compatible for both Navigation and Business CD/Cassette vehicles. Installation is simple for the DIY type and should take no longer than 90 minutes.

DICE installation supplement for BMW: http://support.diceelectronics.com/f...mw_install.pdf

DICE User instructions for BMW: http://support.diceelectronics.com/f...al_rev_B01.pdf

Kits are always in stock and ready for same-day shipping!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG ˇ FACEBOOK ˇ YOUTUBE ˇ FLICKR ˇ INSTAGRAM
Old 06-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 M Coupe
I would be interested in pics/DIY/experiences for a 2000 Z3 M Coupe - Business CD w/ no Changer.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:36 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideslip
I would be interested in pics/DIY/experiences for a 2000 Z3 M Coupe - Business CD w/ no Changer.
This is a rare one for us - unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the install. The good news is that the Business CD (called a CD43 radio) is capable of ID3 text on the radio display.

Your CD Changer connectors are in the trunk area, but I have a radio interface kit that would be much easier for your install. Keep in mind this vehicle will require a radio code when the battery is disconnected, so make sure you have this ready.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 07 E91 xiT
Yeah, I have a question... what are the dip switches for? They are not mentioned in the install guide supplement, and I believe only one set are mentioned elsewhere.

RIP avincar - check out musicarnw.com in Portland, OR.

Specializing in European car audio and entertainment upgrades done right.

Also check out OEinterface.com - OEM integration resource
Old 06-13-2006, 12:27 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_duderino
Yeah, I have a question... what are the dip switches for? They are not mentioned in the install guide supplement, and I believe only one set are mentioned elsewhere.
The DIP switches are used in other applications and with different circuitry/firmware. For BMW applications they should remain in the "OFF" position.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3
Exclamation Yeah, Ive got one

I just installed my DICE ipod adapter yesterday. I followed the instructions on their web site and the thing worked great, just as the web site noted. I did run into one very big problem though, now the climate control does not work properly. It will reset back to the previous saved setting. The screen goes black and then back on, if it is off then it will turn on. After I uninstalled it, the climate control worked perfectly. I reinstalled and same problem. I have been trying all day to get a hold of someone at dension to figure this out. I don't know if it is a faulty unit, but I know that the MINI guys are having some problems too, but they are different. I'll keep you posted on what happens.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:39 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEverson
I just installed my DICE ipod adapter yesterday. I followed the instructions on their web site and the thing worked great, just as the web site noted. I did run into one very big problem though, now the climate control does not work properly. It will reset back to the previous saved setting. The screen goes black and then back on, if it is off then it will turn on. After I uninstalled it, the climate control worked perfectly. I reinstalled and same problem. I have been trying all day to get a hold of someone at dension to figure this out. I don't know if it is a faulty unit, but I know that the MINI guys are having some problems too, but they are different. I'll keep you posted on what happens.
I will need the following details on your vehicle so I can further research your request:

Year
Model:
Business CD or Navigation:
Sirius: [yes/no]
Bluetooth: [yes/no]

Feel free to PM or email me the info!

Old 06-13-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
This is a rare one for us - unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the install. The good news is that the Business CD (called a CD43 radio) is capable of ID3 text on the radio display.

Your CD Changer connectors are in the trunk area, but I have a radio interface kit that would be much easier for your install. Keep in mind this vehicle will require a radio code when the battery is disconnected, so make sure you have this ready.
What is the radio interface kit? I was thinking the CD changer would be the way to go and then routing the dock cable either to the shelf between the seats or the center armrest.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3
thanks tom
2002 M3
Business CD
No nav
No bluetooth
Old 06-13-2006, 02:55 PM
european auto source

Quote:
thanks tom
2002 M3
Business CD
No nav
No bluetooth
Thanks! Looking into this to see if there are any similiar problems. Feel free to PM me with your email addy.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:57 PM
european auto source

Quote:
What is the radio interface kit? I was thinking the CD changer would be the way to go and then routing the dock cable either to the shelf between the seats or the center armrest.
This will interface at the back of the radio and eliminate the need of routing a cable from the rear of the vehicle to the front. I would recommend leaving the iPod in the glovebox since all your control will be via the radio buttons.

Usually, I recommend the trunk interface kits - for the Z, I like the radio interface. Essentialy, we connect directly at the rear of the radio rather than at the end of the CD Changer harness.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
This will interface at the back of the radio and eliminate the need of routing a cable from the rear of the vehicle to the front. I would recommend leaving the iPod in the glovebox since all your control will be via the radio buttons.

Usually, I recommend the trunk interface kits - for the Z, I like the radio interface. Essentialy, we connect directly at the rear of the radio rather than at the end of the CD Changer harness.
Interesting. Still the DICE product? Any cost difference vs. the trunk mount? Do you have install docs for the radio interface so I can see what I would be up against?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:43 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Interesting. Still the DICE product? Any cost difference vs. the trunk mount? Do you have install docs for the radio interface so I can see what I would be up against?
The DICE is $159 vs the ice>Link's price of $179. While I do not have specific instructions for the DICE radio interface kit ("officially does not exist"), we can supply this harness instead of the trunk harness, I have a couple left in stock - and they're gone for good.

Email me directly and I can provide the ice>Link Plus instructions for this install - the steps are exactly the same.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:01 AM
european auto source

Instructions Posted!

e46 Installation tutorial can be viewed here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151481

Old 06-14-2006, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: '11 135i
Hi Tom, I'm having some trouble with my DICE, and figured the best thing to do would be to ask you for help

Here's a brief recount of events: I ordered the DICE 3 weeks back, and the when I installed it, I noticed that the sound output was restricted to only the right channel. I then sent it back to EAS following which I received a replacement module. Installed it yesterday, the right-channel-only sound problem is fixed, but I ran into new issues with controlling the DICE from the radio.

1) I'm using a 4G 60GB ipod (colour display, photo) and have the latest required firmware (1.2.1) on it. The DICE is set to be controlled by the radio (all DICE switches are in the default off position). Yet, I cannot scroll between albums of a given artist when I'm playing songs by that artist. The head unit simply displays "ALBUM", and when I try scrolling up or down (steering wheel or radio controls), the count on the display increases or decreases ("3-01" -> "3-02" -> ...), but the same song continues to play. I was expecting to be able to scroll through the albums of that artist, and have the album names display on the head unit as I scrolled past.
2) I've also noticed that the RND button on the radio does not work (with the ice>link, I could seamlessly switch between random and regular playback). This used to be key to my music experience - I'd use this button a lot with the ice>link.
3) I'm still noticing the ticking noise that is very noticeable during quiet periods of songs. If I'm listening to music on a quiet road with no freeway noise, the sound is very audible. The exact symptoms are described in this thread - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148915.

I looked up the troubleshooting guide in the manual and have tried everything listed there, but it hasn't solved the album problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The manual
You cannot control the iPod from the radio:
1. Make sure the firmware on your iPod is supported. See pg.4 of this guide.
2. Disconnect and reset the iPod. Please refer to the documentation included with your iPod or
visit http://www.apple.com/support/ipod
Right now, the dice is far less functional than the ice>link, and I'm finding myself increasingly dependant on the ipod clickwheel, which is obviously distracting from driving, so I'd like to be able to avoid that. Hopefully these are issues due to something I'm missing, correct?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:30 PM

My 0.02 on DICE units in general:

When the manual says you need a certain ipod fw version number... they aren't kidding.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:32 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_duderino
My 0.02 on DICE units in general:

When the manual says you need a certain ipod fw version number... they aren't kidding.
Correct - the firmware was written with the latest iPod firmware available at that specific time.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Correct - the firmware was written with the latest iPod firmware available at that specific time.
That would be one thing. I'm saying that the failure modes for older software are...surprising in their breadth.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:16 AM

Morning Tom, any updates on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernö
Hi Tom, I'm having some trouble with my DICE, and figured the best thing to do would be to ask you for help

Here's a brief recount of events: I ordered the DICE 3 weeks back, and the when I installed it, I noticed that the sound output was restricted to only the right channel. I then sent it back to EAS following which I received a replacement module. Installed it yesterday, the right-channel-only sound problem is fixed, but I ran into new issues with controlling the DICE from the radio.

1) I'm using a 4G 60GB ipod (colour display, photo) and have the latest required firmware (1.2.1) on it. The DICE is set to be controlled by the radio (all DICE switches are in the default off position). Yet, I cannot scroll between albums of a given artist when I'm playing songs by that artist. The head unit simply displays "ALBUM", and when I try scrolling up or down (steering wheel or radio controls), the count on the display increases or decreases ("3-01" -> "3-02" -> ...), but the same song continues to play. I was expecting to be able to scroll through the albums of that artist, and have the album names display on the head unit as I scrolled past.
2) I've also noticed that the RND button on the radio does not work (with the ice>link, I could seamlessly switch between random and regular playback). This used to be key to my music experience - I'd use this button a lot with the ice>link.
3) I'm still noticing the ticking noise that is very noticeable during quiet periods of songs. If I'm listening to music on a quiet road with no freeway noise, the sound is very audible. The exact symptoms are described in this thread - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148915.

I looked up the troubleshooting guide in the manual and have tried everything listed there, but it hasn't solved the album problem.

Right now, the dice is far less functional than the ice>link, and I'm finding myself increasingly dependant on the ipod clickwheel, which is obviously distracting from driving, so I'd like to be able to avoid that. Hopefully these are issues due to something I'm missing, correct?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:28 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Perform a reboot on the iPod by pressing the MENU and center buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnect. Also, see if the same behavior is experienced with another iPod if possible.

Quote:
RND is not a feature of the DICE kit, shuffle must be selected from the iPod to enable this feature.

Quote:
There should not a be a ticking noise, is this only when the vehicle is running? Is the ticking noise change with different songs or is it consistent?

Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Perform a reboot on the iPod by pressing the MENU and center buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnect. Also, see if the same behavior is experienced with another iPod if possible.
I did the reboot as the manual suggested, no luck with that. I'll borrow a friend's ipod and see if it works (of course, with the correct firmware).

Quote:
RND is not a feature of the DICE kit, shuffle must be selected from the iPod to enable this feature.
That's too bad... will have to learn to live without it I guess. Any idea if there are future plans to enable the RND button?

Quote:
There should not a be a ticking noise, is this only when the vehicle is running? Is the ticking noise change with different songs or is it consistent?
The ticking noise is consistent. It happens even when the engine is shut off (so it can't be engine whine). I can hear it irrespective of what song I'm playing, it's particularly audible when you're listening to a quiet period of a song without loud guitars or drums. If I switch to another input like FM or CD, I don't hear the ticking noise. It also can be heard very clearly when I pause the ipod but the head unit remains in cd changer (DICE) mode. A guaranteed way of hearing this noise on my setup is:

- Turn car key to accessory mode (engine is off, radio can be used)
- Plug in ipod and play any song without loud drums or guitar (pick a song with a soft intro)
- Turn up volume a little (nothing too loud, but get to a decent volume)
You'll hear the tick in addition to the music that's being played.
- Pause the ipod, but head unit remains in cd changer (DICE) mode.
You'll hear nothing but the steady ticking sound.

Hope this helps you figure out what I'm seeing. I'd be interested in knowing if there are any other DICE users out there that can reproduce this on their setup.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:41 AM
european auto source

Quote:
That's too bad... will have to learn to live without it I guess. Any idea if there are future plans to enable the RND button?
Not at this time, but possibly in the near future.

Quote:
The ticking noise is consistent. It happens even when the engine is shut off (so it can't be engine whine). I can hear it irrespective of what song I'm playing, it's particularly audible when you're listening to a quiet period of a song without loud guitars or drums.
The only thing I can recommend is sending the module to us and I can test on our bench as well as a couple of our vehicles to see if the same noise is heard. If you would like to go this route, contact me via email and we'll get the process underway.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Tom, I seem to be flooding this thread with problems with the DICE, but I saw exactly the same symptoms mentioned by JEverson in my car today after 2-3 days of installing the DICE (I drove around this evening for about 2 hours, and that's the longest I've driven in my car this week). I first noticed that the climate control was off when I started my car this evening even though it was on when I turned off my engine in the morning. And after turning it on repeatedly, it kept switching itself off on its own within 5-10 minutes. I also heard some noises from within the dashboard, and decided it's safer to keep the climate control off and drive with the windows down.

Edit: I unplugged the DICE and went back to the ice>link, following which I had the engine running with A/C on for 20+ minutes, no trouble with the climate control.

I guess there's something the matter with this module (the 2nd DICE module I've tried) since in addition to the climate control trouble, I couldn't get it to control albums on a friend's ipod too, and the ticking noise at low volumes hasn't gone away.

Could you tell me exactly how to control albums from the radio? The manual said to press the button 3 on the head unit, following which the up and down arrow would change albums under the same artist. I have several albums worth of songs for a few artists, and I've tried this with different artists with no luck (on 2 different ipods with the right firmware).

My car details:
Year: MY 2002 (Nov 2001 mfg)
Model: E46 325i
Business CD or Navigation: Business CD, no nav
Sirius: no
Bluetooth: no

Wanted to finish by saying I was (and still am) very enthusiastic about using the DICE, since it promises so much, and I do realise that being an early adopter of any technology entails running into initial problems. But given the issues I've run into so far, I think I'd like to send it back to see if you can spot the reason behind the stuff some of us are seeing. As you suggested earlier, I'll email you for a return authorisation so you can test it on your setup. Your excellent quality of after sales support is what's keeping me from being frustrated about the whole experience

Last edited by Ernö; 06-16-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:49 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Could you tell me exactly how to control albums from the radio? The manual said to press the button 3 on the head unit, following which the up and down arrow would change albums under the same artist. I have several albums worth of songs for a few artists, and I've tried this with different artists with no luck (on 2 different ipods with the right firmware).
Your problem could be with your radio. If there is a CD button to the right of your SCAN button, you will need to press the [m] button before using the arrows to "remap" the >> button. Radios with the MODE instead of CD button do not need to perform this step.

CD #3 will activate Album browsing. Press the [m] button and the >> to move between albums.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW M3
Tom:

What can i do with my dice? I am experiencing the problems with the climate control turning off and on.

Thanks.
Rick

rickgrebner@comcast.net
Closed Thread