Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel88 View Post
Hi !

I just bought a Dice Silverline DUO for my 328i e36 1998 with CD43 head unit ! The installation was very easy and everything is working pretty good expect the fact that I have a really bad sound quality while I'm supposed to have CD quality it's a lot more like tape quality ! It actually depend on the song Im playing but even when the ipod is on PAUSE there is a big background sizzling like some kind of interference ! Any idea what to do ? My dip switches are UP UP like mentioned in the manual for bmw business.

Thank you in advance !
Check the white 10-pin plug that goes into the radio, this should be plugged in with the green dot facing upward.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG ˇ FACEBOOK ˇ YOUTUBE ˇ FLICKR ˇ INSTAGRAM
Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: e36 328i 98
Hi there !

Thank you for your time ! I tried with an Iphone and the quality was definitely a lot better ! I reduced the dice base volume to minimum and it was even better ! But still at very high level I can here some interferences... Anyway to completely remove those ? Do you still want me to check the 10pin plug ?

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Hi there !

Thank you for your time ! I tried with an Iphone and the quality was definitely a lot better ! I reduced the dice base volume to minimum and it was even better ! But still at very high level I can here some interferences... Anyway to completely remove those ? Do you still want me to check the 10pin plug ?

Thanks again.
I would still recommend verifying the plug position as well as making sure Soundcheck and your EQ settings on the iPOd are set to OFF.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Hi,

So i checked the 10 pin plug and first I didnt find any green dot and second there is no way to plug it in a wrong way as there is a a plastic thing that can be plugged only in one way... So I'm still far from CD quality !!!

Thank you.

Edit: All sound check and EQ are off...
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Bump !

Now i figured out that every time I unplug the dice and plug it back, I get decent quality. But when I shut down the radio and the car and turn them back on, the quality is very bad so I have to unplug the dice then plug it back again to have something decent... Any idea ??

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Bump !

Now i figured out that every time I unplug the dice and plug it back, I get decent quality. But when I shut down the radio and the car and turn them back on, the quality is very bad so I have to unplug the dice then plug it back again to have something decent... Any idea ??

Thanks.
I would recommend contacting DICE technical support directly as to get an immediate answer to your question.

DICE can be contacted by phone or email at: http://diceelectronics.com/product-support

Last edited by tom @ eas; 02-09-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM

The link isn't working...
Old 02-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540i 6MT | 05 X5 3.0i
I've been having a problem with mine for a while now. I had it in my E46 and now it is in my E39. It did this in both cars. When I hit a bump in the road or make a sharp turn or the cable that is plugged into the iPod gets "nudged", it will make a horrible ticking sound and the audio will decrease tremendously. If I move the iPod with my hand, it will go back to normal until I hit another bump, etc. It seems like the cable is worn out where it plugs into the iPod. Does anyone sell just the cable from the iPod to the dice other than spec.dock?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauchpj View Post
I've been having a problem with mine for a while now. I had it in my E46 and now it is in my E39. It did this in both cars. When I hit a bump in the road or make a sharp turn or the cable that is plugged into the iPod gets "nudged", it will make a horrible ticking sound and the audio will decrease tremendously. If I move the iPod with my hand, it will go back to normal until I hit another bump, etc. It seems like the cable is worn out where it plugs into the iPod. Does anyone sell just the cable from the iPod to the dice other than spec.dock?
May want to check with DICE directly for replacement cables. Also, if you are using a case on your iPod - this could be interfering with the dock connector seat.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E38, e23, e3
I have an 01 e38 with DSP and just updated to the bm53 radio with a 3/2005 production date. I assumed that I hooked up my silverline Dice module correctly, as I see it on the dash, but don't get any sound. How exactly do I hook up the wires on the back of the new bm53 radio? I currently have one of the AUX connectors empty, and hooked the other side up as previously attached with the cables I bought through Bimmernav.
Thanks for any help, as I love the new radio but miss the dice connection!
HELP?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEbimmerguy View Post
I have an 01 e38 with DSP and just updated to the bm53 radio with a 3/2005 production date. I assumed that I hooked up my silverline Dice module correctly, as I see it on the dash, but don't get any sound. How exactly do I hook up the wires on the back of the new bm53 radio? I currently have one of the AUX connectors empty, and hooked the other side up as previously attached with the cables I bought through Bimmernav.
Thanks for any help, as I love the new radio but miss the dice connection!
HELP?!?!

You will first need to see if the BM53 switches you from Digital or Analog DSP as it sometimes does.

Do you have a radio or trunk interface kit?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Hello,
I have the trunk Interface. It's hooked up exactly as described in the install book.
The only difference is now the bm53 radio upgrade. Wirh those radios, it seems like I DON'T need the DSP box?? Confused a little, and am a little baffled that nothing comes up on a search, as I can't be the only one who did this upgrade.
Bimmernav suggested talking to you guys......

Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 PM

"DSP interface" I know I need the DSP amp....

Old 03-03-2011, 04:34 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Hello,
I have the trunk Interface. It's hooked up exactly as described in the install book.
The only difference is now the bm53 radio upgrade. Wirh those radios, it seems like I DON'T need the DSP box?? Confused a little, and am a little baffled that nothing comes up on a search, as I can't be the only one who did this upgrade.
Bimmernav suggested talking to you guys......

You will not know until the radio is connected. Some radios convert the Digital signal to an analog signal.

If you have the 3/6 pin connectors connected on the DICE harness and no audio, you will need the DSP adapter.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 PM

I guess I wasn't that clear.
I previously had the Dice installed with the DSP adapter on the original bm43 radio.
I simply took my old connections and with the adapter harnesses from Bimmernav, installed the bm53 radio.
I plan on updating to the Sirius module soon, but am asking how to hook up the AUX wiring on the back of the radio.
Also, I see the Dice module under CD using the Mode button. I do NOT see an AUX Mode. Did I not hook up something correctly and that's why I have no volume through the Dice adapter?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 AM
european auto source

Quote:
I guess I wasn't that clear.
I previously had the Dice installed with the DSP adapter on the original bm43 radio.
I simply took my old connections and with the adapter harnesses from Bimmernav, installed the bm53 radio.
I plan on updating to the Sirius module soon, but am asking how to hook up the AUX wiring on the back of the radio.
Also, I see the Dice module under CD using the Mode button. I do NOT see an AUX Mode. Did I not hook up something correctly and that's why I have no volume through the Dice adapter?

Can you hear audio from your DICE kit?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM

I can't hear anything other than interference like a whine from the Alternator. It increases with speed. I have looked at your site as well, and can't find any wiring diagrams as to what pins are for AUX out on the radio.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
european auto source

Quote:
I can't hear anything other than interference like a whine from the Alternator. It increases with speed. I have looked at your site as well, and can't find any wiring diagrams as to what pins are for AUX out on the radio.

AUX is not relevant at the moment, let's start with the DICE.

If you were using the DSP adapter before, the new BM53 radio may have changed the DSP to analog instead of Digital. Use the 3/6 pin connectors for the CD Changer instead and remove the DSP adapter from the vehicle to hear if audio is present.

If you do not have a 6-pin adapter, you will need to purchase one here: http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=381

Luckily since you have SatNav - the radio module is in the trunk, eliminating the need from running from the cabin area to the trunk.

Last edited by tom @ eas; 03-04-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 530i
some help.

Hello.

I have installed Silverline Duo, non DSP version and wanted to ask some howto questions.

1. How to show text on MID instead of instrument cluster?
2. Is it possible to show menu button names instead of digits 1..6 on MID?
3. Browsing / changing songs / albums / playlist takes about 1,5 seconds. is this normal? any tweaks to speed it up?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:55 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamboxer View Post
Hello.

I have installed Silverline Duo, non DSP version and wanted to ask some howto questions.

1. How to show text on MID instead of instrument cluster?
2. Is it possible to show menu button names instead of digits 1..6 on MID?
3. Browsing / changing songs / albums / playlist takes about 1,5 seconds. is this normal? any tweaks to speed it up?
These are questions that should be directed to DICE.

DICE can be contacted by phone at 888-342-3999 or via email at http://diceelectronics.com/product-support

Old 03-17-2011, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540a
I have a Dice unit that has been in my 2003 540 for the last 5 or 6 years. It sounds good but the only complaint I have is that when I use the Dice and I turn off the car and don't use it for a long time(like when returning to the car at the end of the day) when I get back to the car and start using the Dice again, it starts playing the very first song; not where I stopped. So, if I have 100 songs in it, I never get to listen the songs at the end of the list. If I turn off the car and get back to it in a short time, the music starts where I left it at.
Closed Thread