Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-19-2006, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Remote on Key Not Working

About a week ago, the remotes on my key immediately and irreversibly stopped working. Can't lock or unlock using the buttons. Of course, putting the key in the driver's side door and turning both locks and unlocks and arms the alarm system.

My car is a 2000 540i.

I tried the spare - it doesn't work either.

I just tried re-programming the key (insert in ignition, turn to on, remove, press/hold lock while pressing unlock 3 times quickly) with no success.

I looked at the fuses and didn't seem to find one that is burnt (though some of them are hard to see).

I would greatly appreciate any ideas/suggestions you may have to solve this problem.

Thanks!
Bruce.
Ads by Google
Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
I think you have procedure wrong

you press and hold unlock button, and press LOCK button 3 times, Try it
Old 06-19-2006, 01:59 PM

Oops - mis-typed

Thanks for your help. I think I did it correctly, but wrote it wrong. I pressed and held the unlock key (the button with the arrow, and pressed the lock (center button) three times.

I am thinking that the sudden nature of the problem and the fact that it is with both keys is a result of a fuse failure or (sponsored by some reading on this) the antenna amplifier croaking. ?

My first thought was about the antenna...

Thanks,
Bruce.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Oscar

Mein Auto: 330i Sport
Mine did this the other day. I had a blown fuse, easy to find out.

Lock your car with the key. Then go check the gas cap door and see if you can open it.

If you can then you just have a burnt fuse. Check the trunk where the battery is for the fuse for the fuel door and that is the fuse you need to replace. Sorry I can't tell you which fuse it is, just look for something that says fuel door.

01 540i Sport
06 330i Sport
01 530i Sport
01 540i Sport 6spd

Old 06-19-2006, 02:23 PM

Progress, but no solution

Thanks for the tip. I locked the car using the key, and the fuel door does open. I can not find a fuse for the fuel door either in the rear fuse panel by the battery or the fuse panel in the glove box. Can anyone help me further on this?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
replace fuse labeled "central lock"

there may be several of them. If fuse blows again the actuator for fuel door may be bad,
Old 06-20-2006, 01:07 AM
@JuSt^fLyIn^LoW!!!

Mein Auto: 99' 528i ///JeTBlCk
same happen to me. both of my remotes they stopped working...Check the fuses in my trunk and they all seem fine and my gas cap its UNLOCK all the time even when i lock the doors with the key...Just havent had chance to look at the fuses under the glove box...I think thats wheres located huh..?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:58 PM

Problem solved - at least temporarily

It was a fuse in the rear by the battery - the one labelled "Central Locking System" DUH!

I checked it before, but it was difficult to tell that it was burnt. It is a 7.5 amp fuse.

The fuel door was the trick to identifying the problem.

After I replaced the fuse, and reinitialized the keys, another fuse went. Something else is a problem. I wonder if it's a dirty cable running to the fuel door. It might stick and cause the fuse to go.

I will see if it is easily lubable.

thanks to all for your help!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i 6
keyless problem

My car started having the same problem yesterday. I checked fuses and did have the blown central locking fuse in the trunk. Replaced the fuse and it blew right away when I hit the button. To make a long story short my fuel door is not locking. I played with the lock for the fuel door and replaced the fuse and tried again. It worked fine for about 10 min. Then blew another fuse. Does anyone know how to remove and replace the actuator
Thanks
Bryan
00 540i
Old 08-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Oscar

Mein Auto: 330i Sport
I am still having the same issue again. I spoke to my brother (BMW Mech) and it seems that my Fuel Door actuator might need to be replaced. He told me as a temp solution, just to unplug the fuel door actuator and replace the fuse. This should keep the fuse from burning out until I am ready to replace the fuel actuator.

But I do have the same problems, replace the fuse and a few minutes later or right away the fuse is blown. As soon as I can take my car up to see him and tells me exactly what is wrong, I will update you guys. This will hopefully save you the cost for a diagnostic as I get them free.

01 540i Sport
06 330i Sport
01 530i Sport
01 540i Sport 6spd

Old 08-06-2006, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e39/6406703-1.html

instructions on how to fix your fuel door actuator.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Get left...Go Fast

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport
That's the Ticket !
Fixed mine....good ol' fuse #53 and unplug the actuator and a reset of the keys....Thanx for the link

2000 528i
Sport/Premium Packages, Factory Xenons w/Preditor Chromiums,
Infinity Basslink,Lip Spoiler,Clear's all around,Door Handle LED's,
CosmoRacing CAI, Conforti Shark Injected
BMWCCA #377625

CaptnGeetch
Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: E46
Remote issue

Hey Guys My E46 key remote is not working and when i did the remote programing I checked the fuel door and it doesn't open when the car is locked and also checked the fuses and it's all working

I don't know what to do and from where I would start ,any one with experience plz help
Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZ_PLUS View Post
Hey Guys My E46 key remote is not working and when i did the remote programing I checked the fuel door and it doesn't open when the car is locked and also checked the fuses and it's all working

I don't know what to do and from where I would start ,any one with experience plz help
Help us help you better...you really make it difficult by not at least telling us what model 3 series you have and what model year it is.

You're asking 5 series folks to help you with a 3 series problem...which means that we have to dig into information first to see what kind of system you have.

Then it would also help if we knew which kind of key you have...see...us e39 5 series owners have two different types of keys that BMW gave us during the production run.

The early keys have a big fat rubber headed key...and the later models have a harder plastic or "diamond-shaped" key that has a color Roundel button in the center.

Old style key set:

New style key set:
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 02-05-2009, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M5
hello

I have 2000 e39 m5 with diamond key.
I just replaced the battery, used a voltage meter and i get 3.08 on the battery (charged).
Checked all four fuse link to Central locking system, and they all seem to be fine.
After i programmed my keys, the car didnt give me any confirmation ( didnt lock and unlock).
Trunk button and the unlock key worked after i tried to reprogram (i lost count how many times i did this ), for some reason the lock didnt work but i was still HAPPY as anything since my remote never worked before.
Finally, I clean up walked outside tried to unlock my trunk NOTHING HAPPENED!!?!?!

What is going on with my system!?!
I heard some one mentioned a body module behind the glove box, maybe i need to replace that?
anyone have any clue

Thank you so much
Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylunching View Post
hello

I have 2000 e39 m5 with diamond key.
I just replaced the battery, used a voltage meter and i get 3.08 on the battery (charged).
Checked all four fuse link to Central locking system, and they all seem to be fine.
After i programmed my keys, the car didnt give me any confirmation ( didnt lock and unlock).
Trunk button and the unlock key worked after i tried to reprogram (i lost count how many times i did this ), for some reason the lock didnt work but i was still HAPPY as anything since my remote never worked before.
Finally, I clean up walked outside tried to unlock my trunk NOTHING HAPPENED!!?!?!

What is going on with my system!?!
I heard some one mentioned a body module behind the glove box, maybe i need to replace that?
anyone have any clue

Thank you so much
This is not a knock against you or your abilities...but everytime I read a post like yours...I'm afraid to reply...hoping not to offend.

The programming of the car keys to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the alarm calls for a specific and detailed procedure. Just saying that you programmed the keys and it didn't work leaves no room for anyone to suggest that there's a possibility that a step was overlooked etc because we are not there with you to see what was done or not done. So a blanket statement that you tried and failed (without any step by step details) makes me go ...should I suggest to try again and be careful to follow the instructions exactly?

As you can see in the instructions below (from the BMW TIS)...programming FAILED if you don't get the confirmation from the system (step #7) and MUST be restarted. Also, all the instructions at the bottom must be considered...all keys must be done in the same reprogramming setting and within the time constraints...ONLY the 1st key can be put into the ignition...the ignition MUST be turned to POSITION 1 (not position 2)...the doors must be LOCKED & UNLOCKED first with the key...the doors MUST be closed etc.

Follow all these instructions again and make sure you FOLLOW THEM to the "T"!
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)

Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 AM

i programmed one of my friend's 5 without any problems, but without a doubt i will try again today.

I only have one key, planning to get another one soon.

Crossing my fingers it will work!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:44 PM

i recently replaced my BCM suggested by many members, and still no luck.

ahh
Old 05-04-2009, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 525i
Cool Remote key not working on 2001 BMW 525i

My remote key stopped working about a week ago. I have a 2001 BMW 525i 4-door sedan. I read your thread and tried the Initialization Procedure that you listed below but have not been able to re-activate the key. In terms of the procedure, I did the following:
1. Inserted the key into the door lock and turned to lock the door
2. Inserted the key into the door lock and turned to unlocked the door
3. Switched the ignition lock to position 1 and then switched off (within 5 seconds)
4. Presed button 2 and held in
5. Pressed button 1 three times, then released button 2 (within 10 seconds)

Step 4 below says "at the radio transmitter: press button 2 and hold in". Can someone clarify what this is?

I also checked my fuse in the trunk. the fuse wasn't burned out but I replaced it anyway. when my doors are locked, the gas compartment is locked as well.

Please help...
Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM

BTW...were ALL the DOORS closed?

Step #4 is referring to button #2 on the key...and specifically to the button in the illustration that is numbered as button #2:

(SOLD)

Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: e39 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Help us help you better...you really make it difficult by not at least telling us what model 3 series you have and what model year it is.

You're asking 5 series folks to help you with a 3 series problem...which means that we have to dig into information first to see what kind of system you have.

Then it would also help if we knew which kind of key you have...see...us e39 5 series owners have two different types of keys that BMW gave us during the production run.

The early keys have a big fat rubber headed key...and the later models have a harder plastic or "diamond-shaped" key that has a color Roundel button in the center.

Old style key set:

New style key set:
Hey guys I'm Van I have the 528I e39 had this same prob with my Key and central locking system. I read over your threads and was able to re inicialize my alarm, thanks to all of you. I dont know if you will get the chance to read this, but if you do , I cant thank you enough. you are the GREATEST. this site is very helpful, and all of the bimer owners that check out the threads really get a ton of helpful information. I dont do anything to my bmw untill I see what you guys have to say first. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: Year 1997 E39 M52B25
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
This is not a knock against you or your abilities...but everytime I read a post like yours...I'm afraid to reply...hoping not to offend.

The programming of the car keys to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the alarm calls for a specific and detailed procedure. Just saying that you programmed the keys and it didn't work leaves no room for anyone to suggest that there's a possibility that a step was overlooked etc because we are not there with you to see what was done or not done. So a blanket statement that you tried and failed (without any step by step details) makes me go ...should I suggest to try again and be careful to follow the instructions exactly?

As you can see in the instructions below (from the BMW TIS)...programming FAILED if you don't get the confirmation from the system (step #7) and MUST be restarted. Also, all the instructions at the bottom must be considered...all keys must be done in the same reprogramming setting and within the time constraints...ONLY the 1st key can be put into the ignition...the ignition MUST be turned to POSITION 1 (not position 2)...the doors must be LOCKED & UNLOCKED first with the key...the doors MUST be closed etc.

Follow all these instructions again and make sure you FOLLOW THEM to the "T"!

Bookmarked!!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bluebmw83
Mein Auto: 2000 bmw 528i
im having the same problem i done the key program thing and my fuel door is locked when doors are lock please help some one please!!!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: Northeast US
Remote Entry Resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscswa View Post
Mine did this the other day. I had a blown fuse, easy to find out.

Lock your car with the key. Then go check the gas cap door and see if you can open it.

If you can then you just have a burnt fuse. Check the trunk where the battery is for the fuse for the fuel door and that is the fuse you need to replace. Sorry I can't tell you which fuse it is, just look for something that says fuel door.

This was a BIG help. I thought I had battery problems with my key (the newer key that is charged while driving and the battery is 'not replaceable'). I locked the car and the fuel door was not locked. I 'invested' $1.99 on a new fuse for fuse #53 and re-locked the car. The fuel door was now locked. I then tried to use the 'standard process' to reset the key without success. I drove the car the next day and tried the 'standard process' again and this time it worked.... (the one thing I did differently was to lock and unlock the car with the console button). The best part of this was the advice to check the fuel door. I had previously checked the fuse and thought it tested OK but the open fuel door confirmed that I had a bad fuse - saved me the cost of a new key and the anxiety of going to the dealer (The dealer is not the sharpest tack in the box)!!! 'Standard process' follows....

- Get in and “close all doors”
- Turn ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within
30 seconds
- First key - hold down button #2 (unlock) while striking button #1 (lock) three times. Release button #2.
Confirmed by door lock operation.
- Repeat for second key within 30 seconds of first.
- After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to finalise the process (not necessary to start the engine.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i
i just bought a beautiful 2002 530i. I love her, she is immaculate except for a few small details. one being that the remote key doesn't work. I am excited to go home tonight and try out the instructions. My car unfortunately didn't come with an owner's manual so i feel lost. Thanks guys, i'm praying that this works!