Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-07-2002, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Talking 2 more weeks to ED-Day!

I am picking up my 330xi on the 22nd. Anybody else picking up on the same day? I have also signed up for the factory tour.

I land in Munich at 9:20am and plan on heading straight to the delivery center. Assuming I get there around 10am, will I be cutting it close for the factory tour at 1pm? I would also like to pick up some accessories from the NiederLassung dealership. Does anyone know how late they are open on Fridays?

Here's my list of accessories I'd like to pick up in decreasing order of priority:
M Steering wheel
Factory alarm
Wheel locks

On the fence: !
Clears
Non-smoker's package
Umbrella

Just 2 weeks away. I'm getting more excited each day!
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2002, 02:10 PM
?

Mein Auto: 2013 740i
darchen,

Congratulations! You'll have the greatest experience (it was for me ).

But you might be cutting it too closely. Let's assume that your flight arrives on time and that you don't check your baggage in, then you'll probably be out of the airport by 10 am; otherwise at least another 30 minutes to claim your baggage.

I'm assuming you'll take a cab from the airport to the delivery center. If traffic's OK, it should probably be about 30 minutes.

My optimistic estimate is you'll get to the center at about 11 am. The delivery process will probably take 1 hour (in my case I did it at a leisurely pace and it took 2 hours from the time I got there to the time I left).

From the center to the museum the distance is only about 8 KM (if I remember correctly), but traffic is pretty heavy on the Frankfurter ring (lots of construction & lane closure). My delivery advisor gave me a map and the directions (which sounded very easy) but I still managed to get lost so it took me about 40 minutes to get to the museum.

You need to check in by 1 pm for the factory tour. I think if you don't show up by then, they'll release your spot to the waiting list.

So IMHO you'll probably make it but you have to rush everything. If you want to enjoy the process, I suggest doing it at a leisurely pace. I'm glad I did!

Hope that helps

ian

Last edited by roots; 11-07-2002 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:17 PM
B.O.H.I.C.A

Mein Auto: 325Ci
Darchen,

I'm picking mine up the same day and doing the factory tour at 1pm.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by roots
darchen,

Congratulations! You'll have the greatest experience (it was for me ).

But you might be cutting it too closely. Let's assume that your flight arrives on time and that you don't check your baggage in, then you'll probably be out of the airport by 10 am; otherwise at least another 30 minutes to claim your baggage.

I'm assuming you'll take a cab from the airport to the delivery center. If traffic's OK, it should probably be about 30 minutes.

My optimistic estimate is you'll get to the center at about 11 am. The delivery process will probably take 1 hour (in my case I did it at a leisurely pace and it took 2 hours from the time I got there to the time I left).

ian
Thanks for the info, Ian. I don't plan to check in any baggage and I plan to take a cab. Hope I won't run into any rush hour traffic. I believe that it takes an hour by train to get there so that's out of the question.

Skybum, I'm sure we'll run into each other at the delivery center or the tour. what car are you getting?

Chander
Old 11-07-2002, 03:19 PM
B.O.H.I.C.A

Quote:
Skybum, I'm sure we'll run into each other at the delivery center or the tour. what car are you getting?
325Ci. Haven't decided on what accessories to get at the dealership. Did you have to order the parts first?

Last edited by Skybum; 11-07-2002 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:58 PM
?

Mein Auto: 2013 740i
Yes, it was 1 hour from the airport to the center by train (from the airport take S-8 to Marienplatz, then change to U-6 to Freimann. Then you have to walk for 5 minutes.

I had 3 people with me so I bought the group day ticket for 14.50 Euros. I think the taxi fare will be about 60 Euros but taxi is faster if traffic is OK.

Quote:
Originally posted by darchen

Thanks for the info, Ian. I don't plan to check in any baggage and I plan to take a cab. Hope I won't run into any rush hour traffic. I believe that it takes an hour by train to get there so that's out of the question.

Chander
Old 11-07-2002, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skybum

325Ci. Haven't decided on what accessories to get at the dealership. Did you have to order the parts first?
No, I think you can just go there and buy them if they have them in stock. Installation is extra.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:27 AM
B.O.H.I.C.A

What cities are you visiting?
Old 11-08-2002, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skybum
What cities are you visiting?
I will be driving to Florence on the 24th, spending 3 nights there and then driving along the Italian and French coasts on the 27th to Nice where I'll be dropping off the car. What about you?
Old 11-08-2002, 02:33 PM
B.O.H.I.C.A

Driving to Neuschwanstein for a few days and then dropping the car off in Munich. Train to Prague, Salzburg, Florence, Siena and Rome.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330 cic ED
Please be sure to post how the drop off went... I am thinking about doing an ED this summer and ending in Nice....

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:09 PM
Bimmer Gal

Mein Auto: '03 Electric Red 330Ci
Re: 2 more weeks to ED-Day!

Quote:
I am picking up my 330xi on the 22nd. Anybody else picking up on the same day?

Just 2 weeks away. I'm getting more excited each day!
Husband & I will be picking up our 330Ci one day ahead of you! I can hardly wait.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:16 AM

Re: Re: 2 more weeks to ED-Day!

Quote:
Originally posted by AlisaKay
Husband & I will be picking up our 330Ci one day ahead of you! I can hardly wait.
Alisa, what places will you and your husband be visiting this time? Are you doing the factory tour on Friday?
Old 11-11-2002, 11:42 AM
Bimmer Gal

Mein Auto: '03 Electric Red 330Ci
We're not going to do the factory tour this time around since we did the tour in '99. We fly into MUC late in the day on the 20th and then plan to pick up the car early a.m. on the 21st and drive to Baden-Baden (I MUST make a repeat visit to the Roman-Irish Spa in the Friedrichsbad -- a wonderful experience). After that, we're going to visit Luxembourg City, then the Ardennes region of Lux & Belgium, then Bruges and finally drop the car off in Amsterdam. We'll spend a couple of days in Amsterdam before flying home from there. I know this is a fairly ambitious itinerary, but we really wanted to visit the low countries. Maybe someday we'll do an ED during the May-Sep time period and can visit the Alps.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Color blind photographer

Mein Auto: 2010 X3 MT Space Gray
Re: 2 more weeks to ED-Day!

Quote:

Here's my list of accessories I'd like to pick up in decreasing order of priority:
M Steering wheel
Factory alarm
Wheel locks

On the fence: !
Clears
Non-smoker's package
Umbrella

If you're getting wheel locks ask to have them installed at the ED center, $22 installed. Mention this when you FIRST arrive and they'll be on the car when its ready for you. At the dealership you may consider the extra oil bag for the trunk, makes for a nice way to have a spair. You can see this at Oil Bag Kit and its much less expensive in Munich.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:18 PM
Fun Driver

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
Congratulations Darchan for getting ur new car. The NiederLassung Dealer didnt had the M Sport Steering wheel in stock as of last friday but some other dealer has the wheel and the NiederLassung dealership will tell you about it. So schedule some time for that also.
You can get a loaner Munich NAV CD from the ED centre and that is really very usefull.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:44 PM

they give out loaner navs at the ed center? someone else posted that you had to buy them, and that they were cheaper to purchase in the states....

any thoughts on this?
Old 11-18-2002, 07:50 AM
Fun Driver

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
They give out loaner Nav CDs for Munich area and major highways for Europe. The CD contains detail road maps of Munich and Germany but it also has all the higways and road Maps for most of the Europe. It was really very usefull for me for finding directions for Rome , italy, alps, venice, salsburg, paris
Old 11-19-2002, 03:49 PM

Wow. That's great. The loaner saves money (and makes it easier to go to the Munich dealer for add-ons). Did you have to return it in Munich, or could you mail it in when you left Europe?
Old 12-03-2002, 03:40 AM

Talking I'm back!

I'm back from my trip. It was a blast! I'll post an account of the trip soon. In the meantime, here are some pics of the car:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...760#post194760

Now the wait begins
Old 12-03-2002, 07:07 PM

Looks like you had a good drive.... I left you a message on the other link.