Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-18-2002, 06:43 PM
?

Mein Auto: 2013 740i
Quote:
Originally posted by robg
I had the same advisor too. Seemed like a nice, patient guy. In some ways that must be a great job-- you're constantly dealing w/ people who are generally in great moods since they're excited to be picking up a new car.

How does the 530 compare to your old E46? I've been toying w/ the idea of trading in my 325i for a 530i. My recollection of driving several 520is in europe was that they seemed better built than the e46 and seemed more buttoned down on the autobahn.
I think someone else posted that his name is "Ernst Fortune". Yeah, he was a really nice guy.

I agree that the 530 feels more "solid" and better built compared to my 328. Here are some of my impressions in the 7 days/1095 miles I had it there:
  • First, the interior does feel larger than my 328. I know the dimension is only marginally larger, but it does feel a lot more spacious.

The way the door closes and the sound it makes feels "heavier" and adds to the overall impression that the 5 is more solid.

Then there are some nicer, "step up" features from the 328 (e.g. dual climate zones, power steering-wheel adjustments, on board computer with more functions, etc).

Acceleration and power is almost even. The 3 liter engine makes about 30 more HP (225 vs 193) but the extra weight offsets it. As expected, the 328 (mine has sport package) is much more tossable on the corners.

Steering feels a bit heavier on the 5 but I actually prefer it that way. Steering feels sharp and precise in both 3 and 5.

The sport suspension in the 5 seems to absorb bumps / irregularities on the road surfaces better than the 3 sport suspension. This is probably because the 5 is a heavier car. But it doesn't transmit the jolts/bumps to the interior as much as I remember my 3 does. My passengers (who have been in my 3 also commented the same). But hey, that was on the autobahn ... will find out with the roads here in the bay area when I get the car here.

The sport seat in the 5 is a lot better than the 3. When I got back home and went back to my 3, I realized that the 3 seat is uncomfortable compared to the 5.

I really like the combination radio / onboard computer on the 5. The controls are easier to use IMHO (with the button' functions shown on the display) and easier to use at nights.

I guess those are my impressions so far. Overall I'm very happy with the "upgrade" to the 530. I don't think I will miss my 328 at all.

ian

Last edited by roots; 11-18-2002 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
VERY cool.

Thanks for the vicarious tour.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 11-19-2002, 09:42 PM
Go Huskies

Mein Auto: 2002 330 CIC,sp,cwp,pp,
Delivery Center

Great series of images, many outstanding memories.
We picked up my 330CIC in June and did not record our visit digitally. We were delivered to the center by a German friend who is getting his PhD in California and was visting his mother who lived in Munich. He discovered the availability of bier in the upstairs lounge and we were talking instead of recording.
I also convinced the factory team to install a USA type alarm system on my vehicle prior to delivery which was a definite surprise for my service advisor.
We are convinced that ED is the only way to purchase a new BMW and see Europe, will do it again.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Re: Delivery Center

Quote:
Originally posted by CascadeTelcom
I also convinced the factory team to install a USA type alarm system on my vehicle prior to delivery which was a definite surprise for my service advisor.
Did you call them in advance to get the alarm installed or did you do ask them when you were there to pick up? How much did the alarm + installation cost?